Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

called for jury duty

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭charlietheminxx

I've always really wanted to do it, but I'm not keen on what attending involves at the moment. It'll mean 2 lots of public transport each way for me and with the potential additional restrictions in force I will have nobody to mind my dog.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭Heebie

It's truly sad that there are so many ideas on how to get out of serving jury duty.
    Someone's freedom generally hangs in the balance, and jury service is an important civic duty.
    Please do not try to avoid serving. Take it seriously. You may just save someone from a horrific fate, or help protect society.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,048 ✭✭✭Brian201888

I was called once and selected for a murder trial before being objected and dismissed, one thing I found fairly mad was all the potential jurors just hanging around in the public area at the back of the court surrounded by people that could have been associates of the accused as the judge calls you to the front by name.

Given the type of case i was thinking afterwards how I'd have reacted if someone just followed me home and told me to say they were innocent.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,105 ✭✭✭Limpy

I was called JS recently, my name was picked 3 times. I knew the defendant on the first one, a witness on the second. 3rd time I was free to attend. Felt bad after the trial ended, who do you believe When they are all lying.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 343 ✭✭IgoPAP

Is jury service suspended?

• Advertisement

IgoPAP wrote: »
    Is jury service suspended?

I've been trying to find this out for 2 days and can't get a definitive answer anywhere.

Just found this: https://www.courts.ie/news/high-court-notice-criminal-proceedings-during-level-5-restrictions

It's weird they haven't updated the other spaces on the website, but presumably this means no juries will be sworn in for the next 6 weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,108 ✭✭✭paul71

I have been called for 3rd November but received notice today from HSE of 14 day isolation due to a close covid contact. That is exactly 14 days. I saw the suspension of jury duty in the previous post. Does that apply to calls already sent and if not, who do I contact to say I cannot go because of self isolation?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭sbsquarepants

Just found this: https://www.courts.ie/news/high-court-notice-criminal-proceedings-during-level-5-restrictions

It's weird they haven't updated the other spaces on the website, but presumably this means no juries will be sworn in for the next 6 weeks.

Ah fúck it anyway. I was looking forward to the week off work! I'm supposed to do it first week of November. :mad:

I hope they just put everything back a month and don't just scrap those summonses and call new random jurors when they start up again.

Advertisement