Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pete Doherty: Greatest Songwriter of His Generation?

Options
  • 16-01-2019 12:53am
    Registered Users Posts: 5,054 ✭✭✭

Was never a huge Doherty, Libertines or Babyshambles fan, quite the opposite, overlooked them for years. Heard most of the albums and was never blown away. Then came across a Babyshambles b-side, "Beg, Steal or Borrow" and the lyrics sort of struck me. Went back through alot of his back catalogue, and purely from a lyrics point of view, this guy is amazing. Strip a song back, give him an acoustic guitar, put him up against any other songwriter and tell them to come up with an original song, and he'll best them imo. It's a shame his talent has been overlooked in favour of a mutilated media personality. The guy is a genius

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

Shotter's Nation is a genuinely good album.

I haven't really kept up with his career though, he seemed to fade into obscurity in recent yrs.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

Lost art of murder is a great acoustic track I remember from him.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,282 ✭✭✭AllForIt

Elton John is one of the greatest lyricists ever. Even if you don't like his music which I think was great especially in the early 80's, he is one artist who when he sings I pay attention to the lyrics where otherwise I'd ordinarily pay more attention to the melody, which is the most important part of course.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,559 ✭✭✭refusetolose

he's a lyrical genius
    the recent libertines album is actually really good too
    great live band also

• Registered Users Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭theguzman

He's a sick druggie junkie piece of filth, in a lot of countries he'd have been executed, deserves no attention or praise for sure.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,390 ✭✭✭Bowlardo

U can’t stand me now will stand the rest of time

theguzman wrote: »
    He's a sick druggie junkie piece of filth, in a lot of countries he'd have been executed, deserves no attention or praise for sure.

oh look, a person that reads The Sun

The truth here gets distorted
    The wall scrapings get snorted
    I'm welcome back if I give up crack
    But you gave me my first pipe anyway

:pac::pac:

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,306 Mod ✭✭✭✭mzungu

Jaysus, a bit harsh, no? The guy has never done anything to warrant being called that. He is most likely a pleasant chap and a lot of people seem to think he is also.

Back on topic, his music was never my thing so I would not call him the greatest of his generation.

mzungu wrote: »
    Jaysus, a bit harsh, no? The guy has never done anything to warrant being called that. He is most likely a pleasant chap which a lot of people think he is.

Back on topic, his music was never my thing so I would not call him the greatest of his generation.

he is actually pleasant (yes,i have met him, briefly :D)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 537 ✭✭✭Etc

He reminds me of Mark E. Smith, personal demons and ingenuity with music, but he's a spent force, obviously he'll keep the Libertines going, it's a cash cow

• Registered Users Posts: 389 ✭✭DaithiMa

I saw BabyShambles the first time they played in Ibiza in Bar M. Didn't really know much about him at the time bar he was with Kate Moss (she was there). The soundcheck he was amazing, but he was off his face for the gig and looked like he might puke on more than one occasion.

Have since become a massive fan of his stuff. As the OP says his lyrics are quality. And those calling him a dirty junkie, some of the best music has been created by artists on drugs.

Bowie, Lennon/McCartney, Richards/Jagger, Brian Wilson to name a few.

• Registered Users Posts: 437 ✭✭Robert McGrath

AllForIt wrote: »
    Elton John is one of the greatest lyricists ever. Even if you don't like his music which I think was great especially in the early 80's, he is one artist who when he sings I pay attention to the lyrics where otherwise I'd ordinarily pay more attention to the melody, which is the most important part of course.

This is a joke, right?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,110 ✭✭✭ceadaoin.

I thought all his songs were written by Bernie taupin?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,557 ✭✭✭Dante

Well played sir.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭YFlyer

Was it Bernie that would come up with the melody and Elton would put the lyrics to it?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,094 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

What a Waster

funnily enough pete and elton played together :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

Go live in one of those countries then.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,023 ✭✭✭✭Joe_ Public

Elton John was pretty great up to around 78, passable to around 82, best avoided after that. Bernie Taupin did write most of the lyrics.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭YFlyer

YFlyer wrote: »
    Was it Bernie that would come up with the melody and Elton would put the lyrics to it?

Okay it was the other way around. This set up was claimed to be more difficult to execute. According to documentary on Sky Arts anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,995 ✭✭✭Ipso

He's the lyrical Sidney James.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭FatherTed

Who now?

• Site Banned Posts: 1,253 ✭✭✭sk8erboii

• Registered Users Posts: 5,083 ✭✭✭Rubberchikken

pete Doherty- fgs the term tosser was dreamt up especially for him.
    talent passed him by.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,282 ✭✭✭AllForIt

ceadaoin. wrote: »
    I thought all his songs were written by Bernie taupin?

I didn't know that. Looking into it it seems your are right. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bernie_Taupin
    Looks like I've given him too much credit where it wasn't deserved.

• Registered Users Posts: 871 ✭✭✭Captain Red Beard

mzungu wrote: »
    Jaysus, a bit harsh, no? The guy has never done anything to warrant being called that. He is most likely a pleasant chap and a lot of people seem to think he is also.

I wouldn't think it's a bit harsh. He's been known to take impressionable young girls home with him, read them poetry and then shoot them full of heroin. He's been investigated for doing this in the past, with a handful of overdoses being blamed on him.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,492 ✭✭✭pleas advice

Amy Winehouse was a great lyricist as well, around the same age, same problems as Pete...

Well sometimes I go out by myself
    And I look across the water

• Advertisement

Amy Winehouse was a great lyricist as well, around the same age, same problems as Pete...

Well sometimes I go out by myself
    And I look across the water

she didn't write that though :pac:

Advertisement