Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Need recommendation on residential VoIP -Ireland

• 15-01-2019 3:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,088 ✭✭✭

Hi All,

Recently I moved house and the area I am living has spotty mobile coverage indoors. As we don't have a landline in the house, and are using wireless broadband from Arden Broadband, I was thinking about going the VoIP route.

My initial research has come up with the following:
    • I was looking at blueface but the charges doesn't suit a residential user with a low call volume and seem more business oriented
    • Goldfish.ie looks decent, but their price for mobile calls are a little harsh.
    • IrishVoIP has good rates, but something about the site seems.... amateurish and reminds me of phishing scams.

Has those who use VoIP got any recommendations for residential user with low call volumes?
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 474 ✭✭msmx5

I used Blueface for the last 13 years and have had very few issues at all. I would strongly recommend their service features, quality and reliability. However they no longer seem interested in residential customers. :mad:

I've heard good things about Goldfish.ie but have no first hand experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,371 ✭✭✭jgbyr

Are you looking for a landline number to receive & make calls or just to make calls?

I tried irishvoip.com recently as I'm hoping to move my number once I get fibre.
    Found them very efficient & easy to set up.
    They will give you a new landline number on payg or just port your own to receive calls.
    All the charges are on their site.

It's a different crowd to IrishVoip.ie.

If you only want to make calls, have a look at cheapvoip.com or discountvoip.co.uk.
    Both reasonably priced.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,088 ✭✭✭Krombopulos Michael

jgbyr wrote: »
    Are you looking for a landline number to receive & make calls or just to make calls?

I tried irishvoip.com recently as I'm hoping to move my number once I get fibre.
    Found them very efficient & easy to set up.
    They will give you a new landline number on payg or just port your own to receive calls.
    All the charges are on their site.

It's a different crowd to IrishVoip.ie.

If you only want to make calls, have a look at cheapvoip.com or discountvoip.co.uk.
    Both reasonably priced.

I currently don't have a landing line, so I want to use VoIP to make and receive calls to a dedicated (compatible) phone in the house

I currently don't have a landing line, so I want to use VoIP to make and receive calls to a dedicated (compatible) phone in the house

So you can get a landline number off the likes of Irishvoip.ie & receive calls on the compatible voip phone & then make calls using their service or another provider like the one's I've mentioned. It really depends if you want it to seem like you have a landline or not.

That's what I'm hoping to do, but we have a landline so I can port the number until fibre is in.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,990 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

I have been using VOIP to make calls for years (on ADSL broadband on copper phone line) and using the phone line to receive calls.
    Outgoing calls cost me a fraction of what they would using eir.

Now using the same system with FTTH, but intend to change when I get myself organised enough :D
    Will likely port the phone number to someone for incoming calls and make outgoing on one of several providers that get selected based on cost of call for the type.

• Advertisement

So just to follow up.

Contacted Goldfish who advised they dont support residential customers, which is a shame.

IrishVOIP.ie seems to have good rates and Android app, but Ive found no reviews of the service.

IrishVOIP.com seems to have decent rates etc, but no Android VOIP app.

So just to follow up.

Contacted Goldfish who advised they dont support residential customers, which is a shame.

IrishVOIP.ie seems to have good rates and Android app, but Ive found no reviews of the service.

IrishVOIP.com seems to have decent rates etc, but no Android VOIP app.

I got irishvoip.com for a month just to try it out & they had an android app in January. Think you need to port an existing number or they'll give you a new one to use their service. Found them very helpful & quick to reply. Contact them & they'll let you know.
    Also tried Irishvoip.ie, & you can use this with a caller id of your choice, landline or mobile, once you verify the number your using.
    Customer Service was poor though. Paid using PayPal but didn't get the credit on my account for a good few days & that was after emailing numerous times & contacting PayPal about it.

IrishVOIP.ie use the same services as cheapvoip.com & discountvoip.co.uk, both of which I've never had an issue with & also use an Android app. Think €10 credit is the minimum you can put on your account.

Also with cheapvoip & discountvoip you can text & if you have poor reception they have a call back facility which calls the number for you & links it to you app.

I got irishvoip.com for a month just to try it out & they had an android app in January. Think you need to port an existing number or they'll give you a new one to use their service. Found them very helpful & quick to reply. Contact them & they'll let you know.
    Also tried Irishvoip.ie, & you can use this with a caller id of your choice, landline or mobile, once you verify the number your using.
    Customer Service was poor though. Paid using PayPal but didn't get the credit on my account for a good few days & that was after emailing numerous times & contacting PayPal about it.

IrishVOIP.ie use the same services as cheapvoip.com & discountvoip.co.uk, both of which I've never had an issue with & also use an Android app. Think €10 credit is the minimum you can put on your account.

Also with cheapvoip & discountvoip you can text & if you have poor reception they have a call back facility which calls the number for you & links it to you app.

Thanks for the info.

IrishVOIP.ie does not supply a phone number to receive calls from, from what I can see. I signed up an account and topped up 10euro and waiting for the credit to appear.

IrishVOIP.com does supply a phone number in whatever area code you wish, so this may be handy too.

Correct on both. From reading what others have mentioned elsewhere here, people seem to use one to receive calls, ie irishvoip.com, with a landline number, & then make calls using another like IrishVoip.ie or whichever you choose for the best rates. Keep an eye though on getting the credit from them. As I said it took a long time to sort & that's not on. The other two providers I mentioned earlier apply the credit straight away.

Correct on both. From reading what others have mentioned elsewhere here, people seem to use one to receive calls, ie irishvoip.com, with a landline number, & then make calls using another like IrishVoip.ie or whichever you choose for the best rates. Keep an eye though on getting the credit from them. As I said it took a long time to sort & that's not on. The other two providers I mentioned earlier apply the credit straight away.

Do you use Mobile apps for the calls? Have you a preferred app if so as I have a VOIP phone somewhere in storage and was going to use android app in the mean time.

• Advertisement

Do you use Mobile apps for the calls? Have you a preferred app if so as I have a VOIP phone somewhere in storage and was going to use android app in the mean time.

Hi, I only use an android app on my mobile. I'm waiting for FTTH & then intend to port my number & will use a VoIP Phone in the house.

Do you use the app to receive calls?

Do you use the app to receive calls?

You can't, its only for making calls. A number would have to be ported or get a new number, as provided by irishvoip.com. Those other voip providers do not offer a facility to receive calls.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 bonzodog8

I've been using irishvoip.ie for a year for international calls, had some minor issues with credit not being applied to account for a day or so (this happened a couple of times) but by and large was happy with the service. I like the fact I could call from various numbers depending on where the clients were based and the YourDialer app worked well for me.

Anyway, haven't used it for a few weeks (maybe 5) went to make a call today, topped account with PayPal but can't access the account from YourDialer at all and their FB page is inactive since Jan 21st. I also can't raise a ticket on the support section of their site (just get a 404 error when I hit submit).

Have they gone bust, does anyone know??

bonzodog8 wrote: »
    I've been using irishvoip.ie for a year for international calls, had some minor issues with credit not being applied to account for a day or so (this happened a couple of times) but by and large was happy with the service. I like the fact I could call from various numbers depending on where the clients were based and the YourDialer app worked well for me.

Anyway, haven't used it for a few weeks (maybe 5) went to make a call today, topped account with PayPal but can't access the account from YourDialer at all and their FB page is inactive since Jan 21st. I also can't raise a ticket on the support section of their site (just get a 404 error when I hit submit).

Have they gone bust, does anyone know??

I made calls on Tuesday & it was working fine. Just tried the app there & getting a message that I have insufficient credit & need to top up. I have €9.35 credit!!
    When I signed up I had a lot of trouble getting the credit applied. Don't know if they're gone now. I can still log into their website.
    They seem to be just a reseller of Action voip & they get their service from a company called Dellmont Sarl, based in Luxembourg.
    I've used two of their other voip services, CheapVoip.com & Discountvoip.co.uk, & to be honest, found them much more stable & easier to deal with.

Unless it's a temporary issue.

I made calls on Tuesday & it was working fine. Just tried the app there & getting a message that I have insufficient credit & need to top up. I have €9.35 credit!!
    When I signed up I had a lot of trouble getting the credit applied. Don't know if they're gone now. I can still log into their website.
    They seem to be just a reseller of Action voip & they get their service from a company called Dellmont Sarl, based in Luxembourg.
    I've used two of their other voip services, CheapVoip.com & Discountvoip.co.uk, & to be honest, found them much more stable & easier to deal with.

Unless it's a temporary issue.

I had the same issue with the app saying I had insufficient credit when I had credit, now I can't log in at all on my phone app. Can log in to the site but can't raise a support ticket. I've raised a complaint with paypal for my last top up. I'll try the other providers you mentioned, thanks for the recommendation.

bonzodog8 wrote: »
    I had the same issue with the app saying I had insufficient credit when I had credit, now I can't log in at all on my phone app. Can log in to the site but can't raise a support ticket. I've raised a complaint with paypal for my last top up. I'll try the other providers you mentioned, thanks for the recommendation.

Same issue with IrishVOIP.ie. Ive over 9 euro in credit but when I try to dial is says insufficient.

Same issue with IrishVOIP.ie. Ive over 9 euro in credit but when I try to dial is says insufficient.

I logged into a different dialler app using my details & I'm still getting that same no credit message. I wonder are they gone.

I logged into a different dialler app using my details & I'm still getting that same no credit message. I wonder are they gone.

I also get a "500 / Internal Server Error". It could be temporary issue, but if their FB is inactive since Jan, it does not look good.

I also get a "500 / Internal Server Error". It could be temporary issue, but if there FB is inactive since Jan, it does not look good.

I can still log into the website though & see my balance, call history etc.

• Advertisement

I can still log into the website though & see my balance, call history etc.

Same but when you try submit a support ticket I get an error, so I'm hoping it's just a server issue.

I see it's still not working.

Same. I will try find other contact points for them as their support portal isnt working.

Same. I will try find other contact points for them as their support portal isnt working.

I've emailed support@irishvoip.ie a few times since yesterday & no reply.

I've now given up on them. Will use another service as I need VOIP working for work today.

It's working again.

It's working again.

as soon as I pay for credit from someone else, it works.

Ah well, I have two suppliers I can pick and choose between.

I can see my last top up has now been added to my account but I can't log in using my app. I use thw Yourdialer app, does anyone have an alternative to try?

Yourdialer works for me, just tested it there.

I also use CSipSimple app, but I think its gone from app store.

• Advertisement

MobileVOIP or Just Voip apps work.
    They're all used with different resellers but Dellmont is the parent company.

Advertisement