Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

United airlines transatlantic

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,086 ✭✭✭Nijmegen

Jude13 wrote: »
    I agree, however without the kid booting me being a pain in the ..., the seat actually moved from its bolted position slightly, which is unnerving, the seat was too small in height so my head could not rest on it, the tv's in the aisle were ancient and the one near me only half came down. Also the seat was very thin so if a kid decided to boot you in the back you really felt it. It was such a let down after a lovely first leg with KLM from Muscat.

It's put me off delta for good. (again not the kid, the plane)

Yeah the fleet products can be turgid crap alright. American, Delta and United have the worlds 3 largest air fleets (and a lot of stuff picked up in acquisition) so any retrofits tend to take an age, and in Ireland we tend to get domestic configured transcons on our routes. Something weird about Americans, they have really high standards when spending their money on almost anything except air travel; so the domestic birds are last in line I think.

Really wish Jetblue would open a few routes out this direction with their transcon A321 Mint birds. No chance, of course, plenty of pickings at home, but they're really my favourite domestic US airline.

• Registered Users Posts: 531 ✭✭✭yrreg0850

theguzman wrote: »
    I prefer United, they at least don't move the plane to Dublin and cancel Shannon passengers bi-weekly. You have between a 1-14 to 1-28 chance that your flight to New York will be cancelled if you fly Aer Lingus from Shannon as they value Dublin passengers more and are too miserly to have a spare TATL aircraft on standby for such eventualities.

Totally agree.

HTCOne wrote: »

I work in aviation in Shannon. The airport held aviation and tourism back in this country for decades and cost us untold jobs to protect a smaller number here locally. The airport is independent now and yet it still struggles to make routes work, so the auld blaming Aer Rianta / DAA/ EI rings hollow.

For someone who works in Snn you are not doing it a great service with your ranting.
    Dublin is bursting at the seams. SNN is a modern efficient airport with spare capacity, but what does the govt do, in spite of their policy of spreading industry, they gave in to DAA lobbying for a third runway which is neither wanted or needed on a nationwide basis.

As regards Aer Rianta / DAA conspiricy, are you not aware that just prior to Snn Breaking free from Aer Rianta, it was reported that a worker director in Aer Rianta resigned in protest at SNN doing a deal with Ryanair.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,066 ✭✭✭✭L1011

DUB is at capacity because people want to use it. SNN is not because people don't want to use it.

DUB needs a third runway. That is not even debatable at this stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,293 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

yrreg0850 wrote: »
    they gave in to DAA lobbying for a third runway which is neither wanted or needed on a nationwide basis.

Seriously?

Also it's hardly a 'third runway' when only two of them can be used at once. As it stands, Dublin can only have one active runway at a time, with very limited exceptions

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

• Advertisement

For someone who works in Snn you are not doing it a great service with your ranting.
    Dublin is bursting at the seams. SNN is a modern efficient airport with spare capacity, but what does the govt do, in spite of their policy of spreading industry, they gave in to DAA lobbying for a third runway which is neither wanted or needed on a nationwide basis.

As regards Aer Rianta / DAA conspiricy, are you not aware that just prior to Snn Breaking free from Aer Rianta, it was reported that a worker director in Aer Rianta resigned in protest at SNN doing a deal with Ryanair.

SNN is a modern, efficient airport in the middle of relative nowhere compared to the passenger and cargo volumes Dublin sucks in.

But the airport is independent now 6 years. It is modern, efficient, and has the infrastructure it needs to grow. If airlines keep putting routes in and then curtailing them, that's all you really need to know about the passenger volumes and the actual potential of the airport. Shannon has been independent now for 6 years. Over those 6 years, Dublin has gone from 19.1 million to 29.5 million passengers in 2017. Shannon has gone from 1.4 to 1.75 million.

Relying on government policy to try and juice that is just fooling oneself. Dublin is spending money to expand its infrastructure because there's demand.

• Registered Users Posts: 800 ✭✭✭LiamaDelta

Nijmegen wrote:
    But the airport is independent now 6 years. It is modern, efficient, and has the infrastructure it needs to grow. If airlines keep putting routes in and then curtailing them, that's all you really need to know about the passenger volumes and the actual potential of the airport. Shannon has been independent now for 6 years. Over those 6 years, Dublin has gone from 15 million to 29.5 million passengers in 2017. Shannon has gone from 1.4 to 1.75 million.

Dublin airport hasn't seen passenger numbers as low as 15 million since 2003.

LiamaDelta wrote: »
    Dublin airport hasn't seen passenger numbers as low as 15 million since 2003.

Of course I looked at 2002 rather than 2012! 19.1m->29.5m is the correct figure

• Registered Users Posts: 18,139 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Not sure what this has to do with United.

Even though we're now nearly 12 years after the stopover, "Shannon" appears to be a trigger word for many on the forum, from the local "da gubberment do ntin fur Shannon" to "Shannon is in the middle of nowhere and is **** and should be closed" and everything in between.

JCX BXC wrote: »
    Not sure what this has to do with United.

Even though we're now nearly 12 years after the stopover, "Shannon" appears to be a trigger word for many on the forum, from the local "da gubberment do ntin fur Shannon" to "Shannon is in the middle of nowhere and is **** and should be closed" and everything in between.

As you can see the title of the thread is "United Airlines transatlantic" .

Shannon is a transatlantic airport serviced by UA

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,139 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

As you can see the title of the thread is "United Airlines transatlantic" .

Shannon is a transatlantic airport serviced by UA

We can agree on that, yet the economics of Shannon and Aer Lingus have nothing to do with it.

Clearly, you're not familiar with the concept of "off topic".

• Registered Users Posts: 68,066 ✭✭✭✭L1011

JCX BXC wrote: »
    We can agree on that, yet the economics of Shannon and Aer Lingus have nothing to do with it.

Clearly, you're not familiar with the concept of "off topic".

Leave moderation to the moderators, thanks. This is far from the first time you've had to be told this

Advertisement