Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best bets

Options
  • 14-01-2019 7:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9,205 ✭✭✭

Just interesting to know what bets yous like doing and whats the ones with the best value. Like a Trixie meself and the Patents. Think the Lucly15s are hard to pull off there prob a once in a lifetime bet.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭HarshOstrich

Gringo180 wrote: »
    Just interesting to know what bets yous like doing and whats the ones with the best value. Like a Trixie meself and the Patents. Think the Lucly15s are hard to pull off there prob a once in a lifetime bet.

Lucky bets myself, depending on how many I fancy, usually a lucky 31, pulled one off over a year ago.
    Definetly once but hopefully twice in a lifetime.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,172 ✭✭✭NaiveMelodies

Each way doubles, especially on any extra place specials on a given day.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭abarkie

To my way of thinking single bets are the only way to turn a steady profit

However, I do love e/w golf doubles as historically finding 2 to place can prove a good return for small stakes

I have friends who swear by Lucky 15's and have done well out out of them, winning more than £5K off 50p E/w stakes, but to my way of thinking more than a double is where the risks (and returns) start compounding in the bookies favour in my opinion

• Registered Users Posts: 602 ✭✭✭famagusta

Each way doubles, especially on any extra place specials on a given day.

Spot on, when you have favourable place terms and best odds guaranteed, I love each way doubles.

A lot of value in 8-10 runner races when the market has half the field as rags

• Registered Users Posts: 5,185 ✭✭✭Widdensushi

Single bets, if you win and want to up the stakes that's up to you

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,205 ✭✭✭Gringo180

famagusta wrote: »
    Spot on, when you have favourable place terms and best odds guaranteed, I love each way doubles.

A lot of value in 8-10 runner races when the market has half the field as rags

Not many shops do BOG on multiples now. Mostly online.

Lads and Boyles near me do for a couple of hours a day as there is plenty of competition nearby, BOG is a must

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,078 ✭✭✭IAMAMORON

I tend to back Trixies and yankees and other accums like Heinz's. However if I am accumulating 5 or 6 horses I wont bother with trebles. Big accums are ew always. Believe you me they can add up, particularly at the big festivals. I got 6 places at Ascot last summer and got paid almost € 1,500 for a 50c ew accum. If they all win your into 6 figures, although this has never happened.... yet.

A € 1.25 ew Trixie cost a tenner. If your three horses win your into nice money also. I like these bets as I get to enjoy more races. It can be agonising towards the end of the bet however, especially if you have a few winners up.

In the summer I can get fairly stuck in to the group 1 races with big singles. I figure it is the only opportunity as a punter for you to have pure value for your bet. There is no bolloxing around in the big group 1's. This does not apply to Meydan. I would love to know the Vets down there. Some of the Godolphin winners are shocking. The Tour de France wouldn't get a look in for the doping that goes on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,586 ✭✭✭4068ac1elhodqr

Accumulators.

e.g. Mixed (golf) 4 from 5 E/W, inc F'Ins or W/O and/or ideally ExPl. Ideally also offset/arb with alternative enhancements.
    Never singles, even safe novelty/award markets politics get stuffed in a mixed treble/four-five fold.

Never singles. Low stakes, high yield accas.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,484 ✭✭✭Andrew00

You’ll never make money long term doing lucky15’s and multiples.

Lumping on singles in Grade 1 And Grp1 races is the way to go.

• Advertisement

Andrew00 wrote: »
    You’ll never make money long term doing lucky15’s and multiples.

Lumping on singles in Grade 1 And Grp1 races is the way to go.

I can’t understand your way of thinking, lucky 15 you’ve 4 selections and treble odds for winner, I would expect at least one winner from them 4 and that usually would be close to getting back my stake.
    Lumping on shorties in graded and group races sounds more like a quick way to the brokehouse when a couple lose.
    Unless your jp backing altior you can’t be making money

• Registered Users Posts: 3,460 ✭✭✭vandriver

I can’t understand your way of thinking, lucky 15 you’ve 4 selections and treble odds for winner, I would expect at least one winner from them 4 and that usually would be close to getting back my stake.
    Lumping on shorties in graded and group races sounds more like a quick way to the brokehouse when a couple lose.
    Unless your jp backing altior you can’t be making money
    If you can reliably pick 1 5/1 shot out of 4 selections,then you're doing better than most tipsters.....that's if.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 2,034 Mod ✭✭✭✭The Mig

Recreational punter chasing the big pay day so usually go with Luckys, Yankees, Alphabets, Trixies.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,473 ✭✭✭longshotvalue

I tend to back singles , as most of the time i've only 1-2 tips. I like EW in the big saturday races with extra places in Paddy.

When i have 3-4 i always do a lucky15 , as i wont be putting a decent bet on 4 horses of a Saturday. With the 3 x concessions even 1 winner pays well.

In addition i might be adding a Paddy Lucky 15 with the decent races they have extra places as when you add in the 3x win only, it seems a fair amount in hand.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,775 ✭✭✭✭Slattsy

Eeny, meeny, miney, moe.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,570 ✭✭✭2ndcoming

Accumulators and multiples are the major bookies bread and butter.

For me personally it's singles on all meaningful bets, and I'll have the odd €1 L15 or €5 acca at the weekend if I want to mess about.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,610 ✭✭✭yaboya1

Bookies love lucky 15's, lucky 31's etc.
    Anything there's a coupon for is the type of bet the bookies want you to place.
    One loser in a lucky 15 and 8 of your bets are down.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,165 ✭✭✭realdanbreen

A win Trixie with an e/w treble for me. Obviously larger bets or info stuff and its win singles.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,963 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

Singles with the odd trixie.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,092 ✭✭✭The Tetrarch

Singles at high odds, 16/1 up to 100/1 or higher.
    Flat only, never handicaps or low grade races, avoiding sprints.
    I never back to place, but have place laid plenty.
    The only time I would do a multiple bet is a win accumulator on the horses, taking prices, never SP, preferably on very big races. If you have a 20k return depending on a 2k race the bookie can act.
    I never do all the four-timers, trebles, doubles, the bookies offer in multiple bets. Instead I put it all on a four horse win accumulator, calculating the payout and adjusting the stake to stay inside the bookies maximum payout.

My favourite bets are 400s or higher on the US Masters golf.
    There is always value, and plenty of old wives tales to ignore.
    Very few people do meaningful research on big events.
    I hope Tiger Woods plays this year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,484 ✭✭✭Andrew00

I always try to do my best to be disciplined, but once I have 2 or 3 pints on me I go to the bookies gambling on every race. Drives me mad, regret it big time next morning then

Andrew00 wrote: »
    I always try to do my best to be disciplined, but once I have 2 or 3 pints on me I go to the bookies gambling on every race. Drives me mad, regret it big time next morning then

Tbh if you have money set aside for it and keeping the bets small this can be a bit of craic, but it's also a very slippery slope and the kind of behaviour that every single degenerate gambler starts out with.

Definitely best avoided and definitely not the way to make any money long term, apart from the odd lucky night.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,625 ✭✭✭RivetingRoger

twice ever had lucky 15's come up
    One was the ol Vautour/Thistlecrack/Limini day at cheltenham, i had another one that evening in wolverhampton i think it was, came in...

Second was a total off the wall one, was at a Dubs match, went into Ladbrokes on abbey st before, picked 4 horses i knew feckall about, went to the match, forgot the bet, checked it that evening and nearly died!

On lucky 15's, be aware Bar One don't do treble the odds for one winner, PP/Boyles do (in shop i mean)

On that, if you have one place and one winner, does the place negate the winner for the treble odds, and as such, could you find yourself theoretically watching the last race NOT wanting your horse to place???? (as opposed to win of course)

On that, if you have one place and one winner, does the place negate the winner for the treble odds, and as such, could you find yourself theoretically watching the last race NOT wanting your horse to place???? (as opposed to win of course)

Nope, you can have 3 placed and one winner, treble odds no prob

• Registered Users Posts: 4,355 ✭✭✭Morgans

There are plenty of pro gamblers who will tell you that the only way to make proper money is through exotic bets. Its no coincidence that bet365 case refusing to pay out to a pro gambler allegedly using a 'friend' to place bets was on such a bet. It might be different for mug punters but the quickest way to get an online account shut down is to win a few ew multiples.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,625 ✭✭✭RivetingRoger

I often win a few bob with the ol "Matched bets" in the papers at festival time
    The Star usually have one for one of the handicap's most days
    Put on a fiver with the voucher becomes a tenner
    nice way to back the horse you think could win but you have backed the fav with your own money!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,016 ✭✭✭maximo31

For myself I am bit like Andrew00 above. Do enjoy a good few bets on a Saturday / Sunday. Can go a bit crazy and do a lot of bets. Silly I know but can pay off too at times.
    I would tend to do mostly singles but do like to vary things.
    Discipline is my biggest problem. Tend to throw a lot of sh1t and hope some of it sticks!! For Cheltenham I am that child in the sweet shop!!
    5 horses in cross doubles is a fav of mine.
    Also like to do EW doubles on horses on the All-weather at decent prices.
    Don’t have much luck with the Lucky 15’s.
    On occasion I’ll do a Union Jack. Only small money though. Mate won big on 1 of these years ago so sucked me in!!
    Love doing a Combination forecast on big handicap races. 5 horses costing €20. Have actually done well on these. Would rarely if ever pick the Fav as looking for the big pay out!
    When racing I will always have a go at the Placepot , possibly the Pick 6 and Jackpot too.
    There can be some very decent money to be made here if lucky enough.
    Is the Tote bets on Placepot , Pick 6 and Jackpot of any interest to you folks on here?

maximo31 wrote: »
    For myself I am bit like Andrew00 above. Do enjoy a good few bets on a Saturday / Sunday. Can go a bit crazy and do a lot of bets. Silly I know but can pay off too at times.
    I would tend to do mostly singles but do like to vary things.
    Discipline is my biggest problem. Tend to throw a lot of sh1t and hope some of it sticks!! For Cheltenham I am that child in the sweet shop!!
    5 horses in cross doubles is a fav of mine.
    Also like to do EW doubles on horses on the All-weather at decent prices.
    Don’t have much luck with the Lucky 15’s.
    On occasion I’ll do a Union Jack. Only small money though. Mate won big on 1 of these years ago so sucked me in!!
    Love doing a Combination forecast on big handicap races. 5 horses costing €20. Have actually done well on these. Would rarely if ever pick the Fav as looking for the big pay out!
    When racing I will always have a go at the Placepot , possibly the Pick 6 and Jackpot too.
    There can be some very decent money to be made here if lucky enough.
    Is the Tote bets on Placepot , Pick 6 and Jackpot of any interest to you folks on here?

Really like the placepots I would usually do them, probably the only bet I would be up on over the years.
    I wouldn’t bother with them at a meeting where I can’t see a lot of favs out of the places or if I’m leaning on picking favs as I don’t like the others.
    5 euro a placepot would be my stake, most I’ve won is 2 grand at lingfield a couple years ago.
    Dreaming of a Cheltenham Festival placepot, think I got by the first 4 races on one of the days last year and was getting really excited as it was setting up to be a big one,last 2 let me down of course.

Really like the placepots I would usually do them, probably the only bet I would be up on over the years.
    I wouldn’t bother with them at a meeting where I can’t see a lot of favs out of the places or if I’m leaning on picking favs as I don’t like the others.
    5 euro a placepot would be my stake, most I’ve won is 2 grand at lingfield a couple years ago.
    Dreaming of a Cheltenham Festival placepot, think I got by the first 4 races on one of the days last year and was getting really excited as it was setting up to be a big one,last 2 let me down of course.

The Placepot on the Friday at Cheltenham last year paid €38000 approx. Mate of mine did a big one for €220, 33c a unit so a huge amount of perms covered. Missed a place in only one race for about €25k (2 units @ 33c, 66% of 38k)

I will definitely try something like that this year for the buzz alone funds permitting.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,165 ✭✭✭realdanbreen

Apart from single bets-which is the only common sense bet, I like an E/W Double with an extra hose added as an E/W treble to juice it up a bit.

Advertisement