Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

This one tip to get away with drunk driving...solicitors hate it

Options
  • 13-01-2019 4:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,165 ✭✭✭

https://www.thejournal.ie/garda-driving-drink-arrest-4435488-Jan2019/

A SUSPECTED DRUNK driver was able to evade garda detection last week because the garda member driving the patrol car was not authorised to use the siren or drive at high speeds, TheJournal.ie has learned.

“Out of 26 sworn members in one Garda unit the Authority visited, only one had sufficient training to drive in emergency situations.

Cats out of the bag now. Maybe it explains all the checkpoints people have been giving out about. If you can't chase the driver, get them to come to you.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,381 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

Kind of begs the question as to why every Garda hasn't the same level of training so they can do their job properly.

Looks like Charlie Flanagan is a useless gobsh1te as Minister for Justice.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,630 ✭✭✭Aint Eazy Being Cheezy

Still a gamble. Squad car sticks on lights. You can make a break for it, hope he’s not qualified to chase after you. But if he is, you’ll be prosecuted for doing that as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,165 ✭✭✭Captain Obvious

Still a gamble. Squad car sticks on lights. You can make a break for it, hope he’s not qualified to chase after you. But if he is, you’ll be prosecuted for doing that as well.

Can't use flashing blues while moving either.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,121 ✭✭✭amcalester

So do they just follow you until you reach your destination or how do they signal you to pull over?

“Out of 26 sworn members in one Garda unit the Authority visited, only one had sufficient training to drive in emergency situations."

Is this for real? Mickey Mouse wouldn't get a look in.

• Advertisement

amcalester wrote: »
    So do they just follow you until you reach your destination or how do they signal you to pull over?

That's pretty much it. Or go up to your car when you stop at lights or something.

That's pretty much it. Or go up to your car when you stop at lights or something.

Madness. They shouldn’t be allowed drive a car unless certified to use all the equipment contained in it.

amcalester wrote: »
    Madness. They shouldn’t be allowed drive a car unless certified to use all the equipment contained in it.

You mean they shouldn't be directed to drive a car.

You mean they shouldn't be directed to drive a car.

Yeah, I probably do.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,070 ✭✭✭Franz Von Peppercorn

Kind of begs the question as to why every Garda hasn't the same level of training so they can do their job properly.

The day to day responsibility for running the gardai isn’t the minister’s job.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,052 ✭✭✭Tuco88

Its a real life police academy sadly.

They should play the theme tune at templemore.

Doo do daaa doo do doooo.....

• Registered Users Posts: 15,893 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Do they get penalty points for unauthorised use of blue lights? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 25,420 ✭✭✭✭sligojoek

This has been an issue long before Charlie Flanagan came along.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,364 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Baffling that they leave Templemore without the qualifications to drive the Garda car 'properly'. Do they have to have a full licence to apply? For Ambulance / FB you have to have a van licence before you're even called in.

• Registered Users Posts: 849 ✭✭✭IrishLad90

Had to double-check the title for this. Probably the most Irish thread of the weekend

• Registered Users Posts: 15,893 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Baffling that they leave Templemore without the qualifications to drive the Garda car 'properly'. Do they have to have a full licence to apply? For Ambulance / FB you have to have a van licence before you're even called in.

'Van licence'
    What's that?

I've driven vans for years unaware they needed a special licence.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

Flanagan is a mega buffoon

• Registered Users Posts: 449 ✭✭RobbieMD

No it’s not a requirement to have a licence before joining. I imagine it comes down to money, the course to use lights and sirens is three weeks long with one instructor and three students per car.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭gctest50

So.... what some people might do is accelerate away from them, then stop safely and quickly if the siren/blue lights come on

Then they'll claim "Didn't know who you were until the blue lights came on"

• Registered Users Posts: 33,787 ✭✭✭✭listermint

RobbieMD wrote: »
    No it’s not a requirement to have a licence before joining. I imagine it comes down to money, the course to use lights and sirens is three weeks long with one instructor and three students per car.

Then get 5 more instructor's and clear the backlog over the next 3 years

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,603 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

'Van licence'
    What's that?

Ambulances are over the weight limit for a normal car licence with all the equipment in them.
    Its a C licence you need for an ambulance.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,448 ✭✭✭touts

Surely this applies to every crime. Break the spead limit in the getaway car and you're home free because the guards probably can't chase you, the Garda helicopter is more than likely hours away on another job and we have pretty much no CCTV in this country. You'd want to be fairly unlucky to get caught. And let's assume the unqualified guard chasing you decides to do his job and breaks the speed limit chasing you I assume some bastard lawyer will get you off on the technicality that the guard wasn't legally entitled to chase you. Believe me solicitors won't hate this. It'll help them keep more criminals out on the streets repeat offending so they can pay off that 191 BMW a few weeks earlier.

The Irish justice industry "Keeping criminals on the streets since 1922".

• Registered Users Posts: 7,778 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

A joke of a force.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,986 ✭✭✭bilbot79

So one crap Garda unit has a bad level of cbd2. All the rest might be grand. I think I'll continue to drive sober thanks

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,364 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

'Van licence'
    What's that?

My sincerest apologies for posting something so incredibly offensive to you and being unaware of the exact details of different licence categories for vehicles I have no intention of ever driving. I hope you can find it in your big warm heart to forgive me.

touts wrote: »

And let's assume the unqualified guard chasing you decides to do his job and breaks the speed limit chasing you I assume some bastard lawyer will get you off on the technicality that the guard wasn't legally entitled to chase you. Believe me solicitors won't hate this.

What if the person crashes at high speed while being chased by a guard who doesn't hold the necessary certificate ?

Compo citaaaaaay

• Registered Users Posts: 1,019 ✭✭✭willowthewisp

Actually quite sad that people who are in the wrong manage to have so many technicalities to get off, and that people glorify in it.

Actually quite sad that people who are in the wrong manage to have so many technicalities to get off, and that people glorify in it.

What's sad about it is letting them out of Templemore or wherever and they not legally able to use blue lights n sirens

It's like some giant human farming experiment gone wrong

You can see why many Americans think giant lizards are really controlling the place

• Registered Users Posts: 14,823 ✭✭✭✭McDermotX

Usual crap will come out about lack of resources etc
    Anything and everything to deflect, reapportion blame, make the Guards out to be little more than mindless poverty-stricken automatons at the whim of those in control of their budget.
    In the private industry they'd be long gone.

Me arse, I say. Me arse !

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 449 ✭✭RobbieMD

listermint wrote: »
    Then get 5 more instructor's and clear the backlog over the next 3 years

That’d hardly put a dent in it though.
    52 weeks in a year. 3 weeks per course. Roughly 17 courses per year per instructor assuming they take no holiday leave. 3 students per car is roughly 50 trained to that level. An extra 5 instructors would train up 250 per year. However we have to take failures into account which I believe is around a third or so.

Also those instructors don’t just do car courses, there’s a load of other courses to run too, not just car courses.

I can see why Templemore can’t train them all up.

Advertisement