Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dad finds out that none of his kids are biologically his.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭greencap

Having a quick browse on amazon it looks like paternity kits are quite cheap and plentiful.

As far as I know it only requires saliva from the child and the father, so theres no need for anyone to feel offended by any ''suspicion''.

100 euro would easily cover it.

results in 4 days.

99.99% accurate

• Closed Accounts Posts: 198 ✭✭0cp71eyxkb94qf

ceadaoin. wrote: »
    On a practical level how would it even work? What would the cost be be? I'm sure some of the people advocating for this are the same who complain about their taxes going on dole scroungers or single mothers. This wouldn't be cheap and the vast majority of cases, it's needless.

What is the potential for error, and if there are humans involved there will be errors on that many tests?

There aren't many crimes that happen that often but they still happen. Hence why laws need to be mandatory. Making a general statement about dole scroungers and single mothers is typical again of the debating tactics used by yourself and a certain cohort of people.

There is nothing complicated in a test, just a swab inside the cheek. Also there aren't many errors with paternity tests and a quick Google will give you the info you need on that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭Obvious Desperate Breakfasts

Mirafiori wrote: »
    In the end, it is children's rights and interests that are likely to prevail in the longer term, not the male or female parent. Perhaps there is enough reason to establish this for the sake of knowing about potential medical risks. If the information is known medically, what are the ethics of withholding it from the presumed father and the actual father?

The actual father should know. I’m just saying that asking for a paternity test in a relationship will throw up unavoidable issues. There’s no getting away from that. Really, the woman has to agree to it because if she has nothing to hide, she doesn’t have to worry. BUT asking for a paternity test is questioning fidelity. The two can’t be separated. If you are a woman who has never been unfaithful, that’s going to be tough to deal with. I think many relationships wouldn’t weather that storm. Even if your partner confirms that he is the father through the test, the question of why he mistrusted you in the first place would be there.

So I understand the need for paternity testing but if it’s not mandatory, then requesting one won’t be plain-sailing no matter what the result. Making it mandatory would be better really, as it would just be part of the whole birthing process and it wouldn’t be a question that originated with the woman’s partner.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,003 ✭✭✭Hammer89

Let me get this straight.

She took his money, she had unprotected sex with someone who could potentially be his mate and fathered three of his children, she let him believe this lie for 23 years, she turned two of the three 'sons' against him and now even though he has a terminal illness, she won't tell him who the real father is?

Apparently there's no excuse for hitting a woman though.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,108 ✭✭✭ceadaoin.

There aren't many crimes that happen that often but they still happen. Hence why laws need to be mandatory. Making a general statement about dole scroungers and single mothers is typical again of the debating tactics used by yourself and a certain cohort of people.

There is nothing complicated in a test, just a swab inside the cheek. Also there aren't many errors with paternity tests and a quick Google will give you the info you need on that.

If the government was responsible for 60,000 of these tests a year be sure there will be errors along the line somewhere.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭gctest50

A very basic one will be easy to do once all the medical records are electronic

Scan all the records for blood types n rh , get it to dump all the suspect results for you

If the mother and father are type o and the kid is type b, something is wrong

- the mothers blood type was mis-recorded
    - the fathers blood type was mis-recorded
    - the childs blood type was misrecorded
    - the mother is a cheating whore

• Registered Users Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭greencap

If the government was responsible for 60,000 of these tests a year be sure there will be errors along the line somewhere.

So go again.

And a third time if necessary.

By the second test the result will either show an errors be made.

Or confirm to within tiny odds that the first test was correct.

Yeah there will...in 99.99 percent of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,840 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

Hammer89 wrote: »
    Let me get this straight.

She took his money, she had unprotected sex with someone who could potentially be his mate and fathered three of his children, she let him believe this lie for 23 years, she turned two of the three 'sons' against him and now even though he has a terminal illness, she won't tell him who the real father is?

Apparently there's no excuse for hitting a woman though.

i'd go with bill burr on this one, there are plenty of reasons to hit a woman, you just dont do it :pac:

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Registered Users Posts: 2,212 ✭✭✭Mrmoe

eviltwin wrote: »
    I really feel for the poor guy, what a terrible thing to find put. I have to wonder though what he was thinking going to the press and making this public. Maybe he thought it was a good way to get back at his ex but it's pretty shabby treatment of the children. They have been just as deceived as he was and they don't need this in the public eye.
    It might be a way to alert the true father who could very well not know that the children are his. We don't know what kind of stories she would have spun for him. He is just as much a victim in all this too potentially.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,798 ✭✭✭goose2005

The concept that caring about one's genetic lineage - considered by many to be the ultimate meaning of life - is somehow silly or childish, which is often pedalled in feminist forums when the subject of paternity fraud comes up, is something I find unbelievably disturbing and genuingly just very saddening. The idea that a man shouldn't care whether or not he's successfully propagated his genetic line which has replicated itself for the last four billion years, and has no right to be upset or pissed off at discovering that he's been lied to about it, is utterly twisted and repulsive - but it's frightening just how frequent the argument is, that as long as you develop an emotional bond, you shouldn't care whether your own blood flows through your kid's veins and that you're somehow a lesser person if you do.

I really hope it's just a fringe belief on the internet, because it's just incredible sad. To the nihilistic mind, if life is here by accident then it's a beautiful convergence of happenstance, and being denied the chance to take part in that by being falsely told that you already have, is monstrous.

If maternity hospitals routinely gave the wrong babies to mothers, even 1% of the time, it would be treated as a terrible scandal

So, let just assume all mothers are cheating liars and let the government test them accordingly? Do people really see nothing wrong with a society being based on this opinion of women, that we simply can't be trusted, and even being endorsed by the government?

And no it's nothing got to do with "guilt" on my part or whatever nonsense was posted earlier. Im actually scared for my daughter growing up in a world where these kinds of attitudes about women seem to be the norm. Not just this thread, several others full of bile against women. Why not just go full handmaid's tale while we're at it and make women property again. That will solve the (miniscule) problem right?

Anyway, I think I've had enough of the woman haters of boards for today.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,149 ✭✭✭Ariadne

Is it unusual to be diagnosed with cystic fibrosis so late?

Glad she didn’t get away with it anyway. But what an awful shock for him. Cystic fibrosis AND the realisation that his children weren’t his. That is just tough all round. Are men with cystic fibrosis always infertile? I’m sure it’s been proven that he is anyway.

It's pretty unusual to be diagnosed with CF so late but it does happen. Now we have the heel prick test in Ireland so it's usually picked up at new born screening but some cases of CF go undiagnosed into adulthood. I've heard of people in their 70s and 80s being diagnosed with CF in other countries but that's very rare because the average life expectancy for CF is the late 30s so these people must have a very mild variation. I've also heard of people in their 20s, 30s or 40s being diagnosed. I was fourteen myself and that's unusual too. I don't have weight issues and failure to thrive usually leads to a diagnosis in small babies, I had the lung and sinus issues but the lung ones were misdiagnosed as asthma.

@Wibbs iirc I think about 95% of men with CF are infertile, it generally depends on genes. One of the genes I have can be associated with fertility in men with CF. Though the vast majority are infertile. Fertility in women with CF may need to be assisted by IVF.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,482 ✭✭✭Gimme A Pound

The actual father should know. I’m just saying that asking for a paternity test in a relationship will throw up unavoidable issues. There’s no getting away from that. Really, the woman has to agree to it because if she has nothing to hide, she doesn’t have to worry. BUT asking for a paternity test is questioning fidelity. The two can’t be separated. If you are a woman who has never been unfaithful, that’s going to be tough to deal with. I think many relationships wouldn’t weather that storm. Even if your partner confirms that he is the father through the test, the question of why he mistrusted you in the first place would be there.

So I understand the need for paternity testing but if it’s not mandatory, then requesting one won’t be plain-sailing no matter what the result
    Exactly. A perfectly reasonable outlook that anyone should be able to understand. And not a single claim that women are perfect.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,215 ✭✭✭✭Suckit

I know a guy with 3 kids, and he has CF. Are all CF men infertile? One of his Sons looks like him.

So, let just assume all mothers are cheating liars and let the government test them accordingly? Do people really see nothing wrong with a society being based on this opinion of women, that we simply can't be trusted, and even being endorsed by the government?

And no it's nothing got to do with "guilt" on my part or whatever nonsense was posted earlier. Im actually scared for my daughter growing up in a world where these kinds of attitudes about women seem to be the norm. Not just this thread, several others full of bile against women. Why not just go full handmaid's tale while we're at it and make women property again. That will solve the (miniscule) problem right?

God almighty - guilt? For what?

Blah blah blah. Hysterical nonsense as usual. Facts don't care about your feelings.

gctest50 wrote: »
    - the mother is a cheating whore

Meh, people have had multiple partners since time began. Monogamy is one of the biggest and most damaging myths knocking around, imo.

This particular case is despicable but I don't think it's all that unusual. Another article from last December https://www.bbc.com/news/stories-46600325

Always has happened, always will happen

Suckit wrote: »
    I know a guy with 3 kids, and he has CF. Are all CF men infertile? One of his Sons looks like him.

Men with CF can have biological children but they need to have sperm removed from their testicles (called ICSI) and then IVF needs to be done to fertilise an egg. So the success rate is a bit lower than IVF as there is an additional step needed and the cost is quite high too. Men with CF do produce sperm but the vas deferens (tubes) that lead from the testicles to the penis are missing so there isn't any sperm in their semen. I hear they cum a lot less for the ladies who don't like to swallow :p

• Registered Users Posts: 7,506 ✭✭✭the_pen_turner

Succubus_ wrote: »
    Men with CF can have biological children but they need to have sperm removed from their testicles (called ICSI) and then IVF needs to be done to fertilise an egg. So the success rate is a bit lower than IVF as there is an additional step needed and the cost is quite high too. Men with CF do produce sperm but the vas deferens (tubes) that lead from the testicles to the penis are missing so there isn't any sperm in their semen. I hear they cum a lot less for the ladies who don't like to swallow :p

talk about a glass half full attitude:D. pardon the pun:eek:

• Advertisement

Blah blah blah. Hysterical nonsense as usual.
    Even if ceadaoin's wording is more extreme, she's saying the same thing as Obvious Desperate Breakfasts. She hasn't denied that some women do this.

I don't blame her for being worried about her daughter. There is a backlash against feminism which I agree with, but also an acceptance of some very anti women in general sentiment.

So folks I seem to have turned this into an AMA about CF so feel free to ask any questions :D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,288 ✭✭✭Supergurrier

you-need-to-start-asking-questions-dave-5009792.png

• Registered Users Posts: 11,215 ✭✭✭✭Suckit

Would he have any legal claim to getting the £4m back?
    Could he sue her? I realise he may not want to, happy to see the back of her. But was just wondering if he could.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,918 ✭✭✭Grab All Association

https://youtu.be/2XCH-TC-jkM

https://www.facebook.com/NC4SP/videos/2090837720961604/

As bad as she is, the above is a lot worse.

Find the BBC One post of this on Facebook and check out the amount of feminists in the comments section actually defending the indefensible.

It boggles my mind that people like you even exist. Thankfully, not in my world.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,812 ✭✭✭✭flazio

In my opinion the fact that he wasn't the sperm donor doesn't make him any less their father.
    If he did all the dad duties for those kids then that makes him the dad.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,246 ✭✭✭judeboy101

I smell bull****, how do you go your whole life not knowing you have CF ? And if CF caused infertility then surely the gene would die out as its rarely a point mutation.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,973 ✭✭✭Chris_Heilong

Wow! disgusting, hope he kicks her out on her ass. So many kids that are not his would point to a 'Close friend of the family' was actually with the wife on multiple occasions, which makes it worse in some ways.

• Advertisement

It boggles my mind that people like you even exist. Thankfully, not in my world.

And what kind of people would that be? What this woman did is wrong, and amounts to fraud given the amount of money she received. I do not excuse or condone her behaviour in any way. It's disgusting.

Does that mean that every new mother should have to prove that she isn't being deceitful? And that the government should fund this? No, Not in my world. And it will never happen anyway. There are options available now for men who want to confirm paternity if they so wish, why should it be mandatory?

If my husband came to me and asked for a paternity test I would listen to his reasons and consider it, I have nothing to fear. If it was automatically assumed that I was lying about the father of my child and I had to prove otherwise..sorry but f*** that sh!t

Yeah, let's not assume that every woman who has just given birth is a lying cheat and furthermore actually make it government policy. That is also wrong. What's so mind boggling about that?

Advertisement