Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

VRT penalties help

Options
  • 09-01-2019 1:35am
    Registered Users Posts: 10

Hi, i brought a car in from the Uk last year but i never got the VRT done as around the same time i lost my job. The car has been sitting in my garage for the past year and i have been driving a run around since. Im now looking to get the car VRT done but im worried about the huge fine its gonna bring. Is there anyway around the penalties that come with it? When i brought it into be VRT’d first day there was a 100 euro fine on the car as it went over the 30 days limit and unfortunately i didnt have enough on my card that day to pay. 2 days later i was let go. Im back on my feet now and would love to get it up and running but only if i could avoid the penalties that come with it somehow! Thanks lads!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 706 ✭✭✭Pops_20

Calculate the penalty first using the below formula and then go from there.

Section 62, Finance (No. 2) Act
    2008 amends Section 132, Finance Act, 1992 and provides for an additional VRT charge
    (where, for example, a vehicle has not been registered within the 30 day limit) calculated
    using the formula A x P x N where A is the VRT, P is 0.1% and N is the number of days

• Registered Users Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭garv123

How much VRT was originally due and how many months ago did you get it inspected?

Eg if its 2000 VRT, the fine is €2 per day, x365 days. You'd owe €730 extra

• Registered Users Posts: 19,854 ✭✭✭✭MetzgerMeister

MOD: Moved from Car Detailing to Buying and Selling

• Registered Users Posts: 10 longzer12

garv123 wrote: »
    How much VRT was originally due and how many months ago did you get it inspected?

Eg if its 2000 VRT, the fine is €2 per day, x365 days. You'd owe €730 extra

The vrt that was originally due was 1800 now its 1250 on the website! Would it go by the VRT amount back then or the new VRT amount? thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 2,691 ✭✭✭michellie

longzer12 wrote: »
    The vrt that was originally due was 1800 now its 1250 on the website! Would it go by the VRT amount back then or the new VRT amount? thanks

It would be 1250 +penalties.

• Advertisement

michellie wrote: »
    It would be 1250 +penalties.

It has already been inspected and evaluated for VRT. Id imagine it will be the price from the day of inspection.

It has already been inspected and evaluated for VRT. Id imagine it will be the price from the day of inspection.

It wont, it goes by today's OMSP and penalties added.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 568 ✭✭✭mikeymouse

longzer12 wrote: »
    A 30% drop in value in a year, seems a lot.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,796 ✭✭✭Isambard

It wont, it goes by today's OMSP and penalties added.

why would that be so? It's already been assessed.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Sell it to a friend or family member.

Or bring it back out of the country.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

The VRT is still owed. It's not like motor tax.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,119 ✭✭✭Gravelly

mikeymouse wrote: »
    A 30% drop in value in a year, seems a lot.

The vrt valuations don't follow a linear, logical trend (or none that I can see) - they can drop by 20-30% in a week, and then be back up to the original valuation a few months later. I believe they factor in demand as well.

Isambard wrote: »
    why would that be so? It's already been assessed.

Because the revenue stat code assigned has a live OMSP on it, the price can change month to month, if you got a price on the 26th January and went in on the 1st February to pay the price will have went up or down.

Or bring it back out of the country.

Wont work as this vehicle has already been through the system.

Because the revenue stat code assigned has a live OMSP on it, the price can change month to month, if you got a price on the 26th January and went in on the 1st February to pay the price will have went up or down.

Wont work as this vehicle has already been through the system.

you seem to be saying both ends of the same thing there. The price can change from month to month but once it's been assessed it surely can't change, which is what you are saying in your second statement.

you seem to be saying both ends of the same thing there. The price can change from month to month but once it's been assessed it surely can't change, which is what you are saying in your second statement.

Ok i really don't know what to say to you, but that you are wrong, the OMSP fluctuates, im sure a lot of people here can agree with me on that.

The VRT on the OPs car will not be the price he was quoted last year it will be lower vrt+ penalties. Im positive I've a bit more experience with this topic, but if you dont want to believe me thats grand :)

Ok i really don't know what to say to you, but that you are wrong, the OMSP fluctuates, im sure a lot of people here can agree with me on that.

The VRT on the OPs car will not be the price he was quoted last year it will be lower vrt+ penalties. Im positive I've a bit more experience with this topic, but if you dont want to believe me thats grand :)

so the OP will now get an even better deal? 1250 plus €450 fine (if its a year )?

so the OP will now get an even better deal? 1250 plus €450 fine (if its a year )?

Assuming the OPs calculations of 1250 are correct, thats possible yes

yes I know that, but once the VRT has been determined, surely the tax payable doesn't fluctuate? Other wise people would be continually be referring back for a revaluation until the 30 days expires.

If the op sells the car the tax is no longer payable unless they now chase people that don't actually have the car.

If the op sells the car the tax is no longer payable unless they now chase people that don't actually have the car.

You do realise what you have said is rubbish or again are you confusing motor tax with vrt.

• Advertisement

You do realise what you have said is rubbish or again are you confusing motor tax with vrt.

How they can't apply the vrt if the op doesn't have the car.

The penalties will apply to the next person who tries to register it

yes I know that, but once the VRT has been determined, surely the tax payable doesn't fluctuate? Other wise people would be continually be referring back for a revaluation until the 30 days expires.

It changes once a month, sometimes people wait till the start of the month. Its not guaranteed to go down, i have seen it go up too(sometimes by a lot) so you can risk that if you want.

It changes once a month, sometimes people wait till the start of the month. Its not guaranteed to go down, i have seen it go up too(sometimes by a lot) so you can risk that if you want.
    That's the OMSP but once the VRT has been determined it's not relevant whether the OMSP changes or not, it's been assessed, it won't be reassessed surely , it should have been paid before the end of the 30 day period..

Do you think Revenue are idiots?

Do you think Revenue are idiots?

No I use to import so know the score.

Never said they were.

I already said how to sort it. Leave the country with car and re enter and have a receipt of sale and boat booking with reg on it.

All depends on worth of course and if worth while.

Many people are still buying UK or from the north cars here in the south.

I already said how to sort it. Leave the country with car and re enter and have a receipt of sale and boat booking with reg on it.

So how does the op get around the car already being assessed by Revenue for vrt?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,593 ✭✭✭emeldc

No I use to import so know the score.

Never said they were.

All depends on worth of course and if worth while.

That’s the first thing I thought of as well although I’ll admit I know bugger all about importing cars. But surely the car is still a UK car unless some of it’s UK paperwork is handed over at the NCT inspection.
    Maybe the OP could clarify.

True I've done it twice last year. Paid the VRT for both cars within the 30 day period. No penalties.

• Advertisement

That's the OMSP but once the VRT has been determined it's not relevant whether the OMSP changes or not, it's been assessed, it won't be reassessed surely , it should have been paid before the end of the 30 day period..

It doesnt need to be reassessed, the initial revenue stat code for that vehicle that was chosen for the car is updated monthly for the OMSP.

Advertisement