Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Malta

Options
  • 06-01-2019 5:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭

Hi folks any recommendations for places to stay in Malta end of April close to beach tia.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,298 ✭✭✭RedRochey

We're going in mid-April, some friends said St. Julian's area is the best

• Registered Users Posts: 958 ✭✭✭Stratvs

We've also been looking at Malta as there are direct flights ex Cork this year. Would be interested in how people find it for food & accommodation and also good places within walk of beaches.

From everyone I talked to they absolutely loved it, best place they've been to last year! Food and drink is cheap, island is small so plenty of places to go, accommodation seems fairly reasonable

• Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭hobie21

From everyone I talked to they absolutely loved it, best place they've been to last year! Food and drink is cheap, island is small so plenty of places to go, accommodation seems fairly reasonable

I live there. Fantastic spot. St julian or Sliema definitely the best places to stay.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,957 ✭✭✭3DataModem

Just FYI there are no beaches anywhere near St Julians... you need to go up north to find sand.

However I love Malta. April is a great time to go, not too hot (Jul/Aug is mental).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭hobie21

3DataModem wrote: »
    Just FYI there are no beaches anywhere near St Julians... you need to go up north to find sand.

However I love Malta. April is a great time to go, not too hot (Jul/Aug is mental).

Yes, there are. Small beach in Balluta bay. Bigger beach around the corner in st julian

• Registered Users Posts: 596 ✭✭✭bigar

From everyone I talked to they absolutely loved it

Before I went, friends told me it was the most boring holiday they ever had.

I decided to see it for myself and how right they were. There is nothing to do. All has the same sand colour, it is overcrowded, roads are horrible except when it rains. When it rains all roads turn into rivers and you can see water seeping through the walls. I was glad to get out of the place.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,525 ✭✭✭johnire

I envy you! Malta is absolutely gorgeous.We stayed in Valletta and loved it. The people are lovely and it’s such good value.
    hobie21 wrote: »
    I live there. Fantastic spot. St julian or Sliema definitely the best places to stay.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭The Enbalmer

hobie21 wrote: »
    Yes, there are. Small beach in Balluta bay. Bigger beach around the corner in st julian

VERY small beach in Balutta bay and often under water..especially in high winds!

Much better sunbathing further along Tower Road up to Sliema..its not sand though but flat stone which is better imo as you dont get sand everywhere.

Some very good places to eat along that seafront and all the buses go pastso if you really need a sandy beach there's no shortage of transport to Mellieha Bay.

• Registered Users, Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 2,181 Mod ✭✭✭✭Nigel Fairservice

I was in Malta a few years ago, stayed for a week. Malta was ok I thought but I wouldn't go back anytime soon. We stayed in Sliema. Lots of nice restaurants around. You could walk to St. Julian as well. Lots of buses and they were very cheap. Valetta was lovely I thought. We went to Gozo, the Azure window (which has since collapsed I think) and went for a swim at the blue lagoon (very beautiful but seriously crowded). I think you can do a day trip to Sicily if you wish. We decided against it because we thought we might go there properly some other time. We went in June and it was insanely hot. The air conditioning in the hotel was broken as well so the nights were uncomfortable, lots of cold showers were had :pac: I don't remember seeing much in the way of beaches. There were a lot of flat rocks by the water people lied out on.

• Advertisement

Has anyone done a day trip to Sicily? It sounds long if you plan on visiting Mt Etna, but has anyone just gone over to see some towns?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,586 ✭✭✭4068ac1elhodqr

Has anyone done a day trip to Sicily? It sounds long if you plan on visiting Mt Etna, but has anyone just gone over to see some towns?

Imagine the private enclosed resorts of Sicily are fine, but you have to ask why their selling houses in some towns for the same price of a 30gm packet of Tayto... Could it be there would be 'informal mafiaoso taxes' duty to pay, or that they're overlooked by ad hoc arrangements of tents of refugees economic migrants, trafficked in from the across the Med, hard to say for sure.

Malta on the other hand is pretty decent, and the Cisk beer goes down well when the nights are as hot as the days (22oC+ for half of the year). The driving there leaves alot to be desired, if renting a motorbike/car opt for fully comp insurance with all the extras.

• Registered Users Posts: 932 ✭✭✭Tomw86

Was in Malta last summer. Stayed in Mellieha and would highly recommend it.

St. Julians looked nice as we went by it a few times, not sure on the beach situation. Valetta is meant to be more of a party scene/night life so that's what you're after, stay there.

The hotel we went all inclusive in was DB Seabank Resort and Spa - reasonably priced, 5 restaurants, onsite bars and indoor bowling alley, 3 pools including an adult only one and plenty more activities on site.
    It is also right across the road from the beach, literally 20 yards out the front door.

Plenty of day/half day trips can be booked to Gozo from reception, and that one in partocular is well worth it. Would also look at the ones to the water parks and aquarium.

Bought my mam a voucher at Xmas & she fancies Malta, would it be OK weather wise in April?
    She likes it warm but not hot like summer.
    Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 932 ✭✭✭Tomw86

bubblypop wrote: »
    Bought my mam a voucher at Xmas & she fancies Malta, would it be OK weather wise in April?
    Thanks.

Yeah April would probably be ideal. We went in June and it was roasting hot some days. Meant to cool right down in the non-summer months.

Tomw86 wrote: »
    bubblypop wrote: »
    Thanks.

Yeah April would probably be ideal. We went in June and it was roasting hot some days. Meant to cool right down in the non-summer months.

From the end of September to around march it rains quite a bit too..flooding is not unknown along with thunderstorms.

April to early june would be my favorite times to visit,weatherwise.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭Snow Garden

I am going to Malta with the wife and kids (10, 13) in May. We have only booked flights so far.

We mainly want to go for the swimming/snorkelling around the rocky beaches. Not interested in the night life. Bearing that in mind, where do people recommend in terms of location and even hotel?

We mainly want to go for the swimming/snorkelling around the rocky beaches. Not interested in the night life. Bearing that in mind, where do people recommend in terms of location and even hotel?

Sliema. The Windsor Hotel is about 30 euros a night and is right in the centre of sliema.
    You can swim or snorkel all along sliema seafront and eat in loads of different places nearby. Sliema has bus connections to valettta,st Paul's bay,melehiha,valettta and the gozo ferry.

I'm there as we speak ðŸ˜

Sliema. The Windsor Hotel is about 30 euros a night and is right in the centre of sliema.
    You can swim or snorkel all along sliema seafront and eat in loads of different places nearby. Sliema has bus connections to valettta,st Paul's bay,melehiha,valettta and the gozo ferry.

I'm there as we speak ðŸ˜

Great stuff. How is the hotel so cheap??

• Registered Users Posts: 655 ✭✭✭Bellerstring

Went there a couple of years ago in the summer.
    Stayed near St George's bay/Paceville.
    The hotel (Corinthia) was great, but the whole Paceville scene and beach at St George's bay was manky.
    The tiny beach is full of local kids drinking n ridin in plain sight while the police look away.
    Place is littered with cans and bottles.
    Brought family to a restaurant in Paceville first night we were there, when a chef came out of kitchen, pissed out of his mind and started throwing chairs and plates around. The waiters and staff were laughing and trying to ease him out of the dining area.
    Filthy place.
    Valetta is beautiful.
    Went to Gozo for second week.
    Absolutely fantastic.
    Stay away from Paceville unless you're into getting locked!

• Advertisement

I presume this post was supposed to be funny? RTE is clearly a left-wing organisation, I would say it would be impossible to genuinely believe otherwise. Look at all their 'stars' talking about the recent referenda, Brexit and Trump's election, amongst other things. They couldn't wait to let us know how liberal they were.

Went there a couple of years ago in the summer. Stayed near St George's bay/Paceville. The hotel (Corinthia) was great, but the whole Paceville scene and beach at St George's bay was manky. The tiny beach is full of local kids drinking n ridin in plain sight while the police look away. Place is littered with cans and bottles. Brought family to a restaurant in Paceville first night we were there, when a chef came out of kitchen, pissed out of his mind and started throwing chairs and plates around. The waiters and staff were laughing and trying to ease him out of the dining area. Filthy place. Valetta is beautiful. Went to Gozo for second week. Absolutely fantastic. Stay away from Paceville unless you're into getting locked!

Malta you will want to remember,Paceville you will want to forget"

Stay away from paceville.

Great stuff. How is the hotel so cheap??

It's quite an old building but the rooms are fine..a lot of hotels in Malta are 5* Marriots and the like but the Windsor isn't one..It's fine but not top of the range.

I'm on the roadside pool terrace as we speak...you're literally 100 m from the sea.

I wouldn't go near St Julian's unless you're young, single and mad about nightlife.

Valletta Old Town is a far more romantic and peaceful place than St Julian's. It was really lovely (we stayed in St Julian's but found the noise too much so moved). I'd also recommend a boat trip around the harbour as it was very informative (e.g. about all the small footsteps on that fortress designed for the Knights of Malta, etc).

Also, obviously make a day trip from Gozo to Comino/Blue Lagoon. Comino is beautiful, with stunning waters. We stayed in a dated hotel on Gozo island named St Patrick's. The hotel was absolutely nothing to write home about (this was about 8 years ago), however the location was utterly gorgeous and again very peaceful (do Google Images searches).

Lastly, we spent about a week in Sicily beforehand and got a ship from it to Malta, where we hired a car for the duration. It's a very small island so it can be easily toured by car (although the natives, in our experience, were decidedly lacking in their road manners).

It's a very small island so it can be easily toured by car (although the natives, in our experience, were decidedly lacking in their road manners).

One unusual twist of maltese law is that sole ownership of the road is granted with every car purchase.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,966 ✭✭✭BailMeOut

Great place. Make sure you visit Gozo and Comino while there. You can take you car rental on the ferry to Gozo.

Island is tiny and easy to get around. Recommend Sliema as a base.

Lots of Game of Thrones locations if into that.

Locals lovely and everyone speaks English.

We are thinking of booking an AirBnB in Mellieha. Is that a nice area?

We are thinking of booking an AirBnB in Mellieha. Is that a nice area?

Yes and no..it depends what you want.
    Mellieha has by far the biggest sandy beach in Malta and plenty of facilities but it's located a good distance from valletta,st Julians,sliema or anywhere you might like to visit.
    What I mean is it's not a particularly good base for sightseeing from.

Yes and no..it depends what you want.
    Mellieha has by far the biggest sandy beach in Malta and plenty of facilities but it's located a good distance from valletta,st Julians,sliema or anywhere you might like to visit.
    What I mean is it's not a particularly good base for sightseeing from.

We are probably more outdoorsy than anything else. We plan to drive around each day looking for nice places to swim, snorkel etc. A day trip to Gozo and Comino and Mdina too. We plan to stay for one night in Valletta to see the city sights.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,966 ✭✭✭BailMeOut

We plan to stay for one night in Valletta to see the city sights.

Valletta is very quiet at night and more a day time place. Tour it during the day but stay in Sliema which is just a few mins by ferry across water as you will have more night time options there. The ferry back and forth is quite nice, cheap and very frequent. We stayed in an Airbnb in Sliema on waterfront right opposite ferry terminal and really liked it.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 12,016 Mod ✭✭✭✭miamee

Would it be noisy in Sliema at night? We stayed in St. Julian's Bay last time we were there which was quite quiet and convenient to buses etc. We only had a few days there and would like to go back, we didn't see much aside from Valletta, harbour boat tour, bus & walking tour around the Three Cities.

Advertisement