Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Locals Galway City 2019

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,877 ✭✭✭what_traffic

Zzippy wrote: »
    Is the Nuala Nolan running for Aontu in the east ward the same Nuala Nolan who was a Labour councillor in central previously, IIRC? That's quite the change in outlook...
    That would be correct.

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭RainNeverBow

Totally unhinged based on her performance last night

• Registered Users Posts: 23,488 ✭✭✭✭zell12

Page after page of 'Vote for me' in today's Advertiser

I was hoping for a social media campaign to be launched to vote for a no-hoper as an alternative to the established parties.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,711 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Performance where?

Performance where?
    Galway City East Local Election Debate
    https://galwaybayfm.ie/podcasts/east/

• Advertisement

All 47 candidates seeking 18 seats
    https://tinyurl.com/y2vqemg2

• Registered Users Posts: 8,363 ✭✭✭Gadgetman496

bobbyss wrote: »
    How about choosing candidates based solely on looks for locals and Europe?
    Maria Walsh's poster is stunning.
    She has my No 1. No question of that. If Mary Mitchell O'Connor was running for locals she'd get a 1 as well. ( Just what is it about the air in East Galway/Shrule?)
    That way people would be able to actually name their city councillors and MEPs .

Totally agree, her poster is stunning.

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."

Totally agree, her poster is stunning.
    They all have lovely posters.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,477 ✭✭✭youngrun

It wasnt great !:eek:

Not many came across that well........

Finnegan is a good operator on radio keeps people on their toes

youngrun wrote: »
    It wasnt great !:eek:

Not many came across that well........

Finnegan is a good operator on radio keeps people on their toes

Agreed Farrell and Larkin the only incumbents who came across well imo. Hanley only newbie that stood out. I liked the Green party one but she was a bit too green at the same time. Most totally forgettable

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 672 ✭✭✭Ashleigh1986

Finnegan a good operator ???
    Couldn't disagree more .
    Didn't give the candidates a chance to answer the questions he asked .
    Kept interrupting them.... Very frustrating .
    Way to many candidates in to short a time to get to know their views.
    Sums the programme up when each candidate given 30 seconds to sum up " why we should vote for them"
    A joke of a programme !!!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,408 ✭✭✭✭kippy

The whole political setup needs to be seriously looked at.

There's 18 going into the City council - what exactly do they do and why have them there at all?
    The debates I watched yesterday were farcical. The same stuff that was on the agenda 5 or 10 years ago is still on the agenda and the same "solutions" were bandied about.

There's lots and lots of talk but very little action - no one to implement or drive things on. Why is this?

I think unless the person you are voting for is in a government party they are not going to be able to get much moved on (indeed from what I can tell the ones that are in government parties don't get much moved on either).
    Some of the activity in council chambers of the past few years is embarrassing.

kippy wrote: »
    The whole political setup needs to be seriously looked at.

There's 18 going into the City council - what exactly do they do and why have them there at all?
    The debates I watched yesterday were farcical. The same stuff that was on the agenda 5 or 10 years ago is still on the agenda and the same "solutions" were bandied about.

There's lots and lots of talk but very little action - no one to implement or drive things on. Why is this?

I think unless the person you are voting for is in a government party they are not going to be able to get much moved on (indeed from what I can tell the ones that are in government parties don't get much moved on either).

Indeed the pace of progress is very slow
    Galway needs a more active council and perhaps more direct powers in a mayor or elected reps
    Some key points
    Housing delivery has been very slow , almost nil builds, a few on market buys
    Transport planning has been similarly slow paced without the drastic measures needed. ie Park and Rides and bus links ( pick 4 routes ) , Bus lanes ( Tuam Road for eg ), Cross City Bus routes ( Parkmore - K/carra via QCB ) Greenway ( Moycullen Galway was announced in a blaze of glory what happened ?) These few measures I hope would be done in next 2/3 years
    City centre clean- Spanish Arch , bins left out generally, keep the city clean

kippy wrote: »

With Pádraig Conneely retiring, things should improve a lot.

To all those who bítch about traffic.. look!
    and a photogenic one too in GalwayCityWest
    He only get 82 votes in 2014 though
    YzF9Ohj.jpg?1

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

Less than civil post removed.
    Keep it civil please

Central ward debate on tonight at 6 on Galway Bay. Lots of personalities in that one, should be fun

Central ward debate on tonight at 6 on Galway Bay. Lots of personalities in that one, should be fun

Nevermind. It was very tame. East was more fun and had more standouts. This was very boring in comparison.

John McDonagh and the Green party candidates look like a flops to me. Eddie Hoare performed slightly better than I expected but got an easy time off Kieth. Mike Cubbard always sulks when it's not his time to speak. Soc Dem/PBP kinda blended together

• Registered Users Posts: 957 ✭✭✭MuffinTop86

Is anyone else getting campaign leaflets thrown on the doorstep rather than put into the letter box?
    I’ve had at least two people do this and wondering is there some reasoning behind it?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 427 ✭✭45mhrc7evo1d3n

Never mind posters, I couldn't believe my eyes this morning when I saw a trailer parked on the green area at the junction of Dr Mannix Road and Devon Gardens with a large election poster on it. Pearse Flannery is smiling out from it. I'd like to see how long a member of the general public advertising something would be allowed to leave that there. It really leaves a bad taste when our elected officials act like normal rules don't apply to them :(.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭gordongekko

Never mind posters, I couldn't believe my eyes this morning when I saw a trailer parked on the green area at the junction of Dr Mannix Road and Devon Gardens with a large election poster on it. Pearse Flannery is smiling out from it. I'd like to see how long a member of the general public advertising something would be allowed to leave that there. It really leaves a bad taste when our elected officials act like normal rules don't apply to them :(.

I believe this is allowed under Part 2 of Schedule 2 of the Planning and Development Regulations 2001-2015.

Never mind posters, I couldn't believe my eyes this morning when I saw a trailer parked on the green area at the junction of Dr Mannix Road and Devon Gardens with a large election poster on it.
    Pearse Flannery is smiling out from it.
    I'd like to see how long a member of the general public advertising something would be allowed to leave that there. It really leaves a bad taste when our elected officials act like normal rules don't apply to them :(.
    Trailer parks for all!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,009 ✭✭✭Bredabe

Is anyone else getting campaign leaflets thrown on the doorstep rather than put into the letter box?
    I’ve had at least two people do this and wondering is there some reasoning behind it?
    Yes, only one candidate has run the bell in bro's house, I assume they are all too scared of getting a hard time on the door steps.

No doubt they will say that dont have the time or person power to talk to everyone.

Just got the post there(seaside hq), a handwritten envelope and flyer from pierse(deliberate) in it, for a candidate banging on about no posters, im sick of seeing his face/name seemingly everywhere.

"Have you ever wagged your tail so hard you fell over"?-Brod Higgins.

I believe this is allowed under Part 2 of Schedule 2 of the Planning and Development Regulations 2001-2015.

Thanks for the info. I guess I shouldn't be surprised that our political classes have special exemptions to turn a green space into an eyesore but it still stinks. I'm just picturing what that particular green space would look like if all the candidates running in the West Ward parked a trailer there.

• Registered Users Posts: 960 ✭✭✭Triangle

Thanks for the info. I guess I shouldn't be surprised that our political classes have special exemptions to turn a green space into an eyesore but it still stinks. I'm just picturing what that particular green space would look like if all the candidates running in the West Ward parked a trailer there.

There was a good article in the independent today questioning people's adverse view on posters, leaflets and canvasing.
    Basically saying that people the don't engage are pretty much freeloading on democracy.(my interpretation of it)

https://m.independent.ie/opinion/comment/theresa-reidy-the-growing-intolerance-of-election-posters-is-a-slap-in-the-face-for-democracy-38109316.html

• Registered Users Posts: 8,363 ✭✭✭Gadgetman496

Not sure the wording on the Sinn Féin posters was the right choice, or maybe that was intentional?

Locals:

"Fighting for you"

European:

"Fighting for Ireland"

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."

Triangle wrote: »
    There was a good article in the independent today questioning people's adverse view on posters, leaflets and canvasing.
    Basically saying that people the don't engage are pretty much freeloading on democracy.(my interpretation of it)

https://m.independent.ie/opinion/comment/theresa-reidy-the-growing-intolerance-of-election-posters-is-a-slap-in-the-face-for-democracy-38109316.html

"Freeloading on democracy" :eek:. That's an interesting viewpoint! Thanks for the link. It seems I need to justify my position here: I am not anti-leaflet or canvassing, although I would be happier if candidates did not deliver their leaflets more than once which is what has happened in our house. I am not keen on posters because IMO they are a blight on the landscape and an environmental disaster. I also think that there are so many of them that they have very little individual effect. However, I do accept that some people feel there is a need for them. I do not, however, feel there is a need for someone with Mr Flannerys level of recognition in Salthill to mar the landscape with the eyesore that greeted me today. I would very much like to see the following happen, as mentioned in one part of the article you linked to:

...European-style election hoardings where all candidates could display their posters on large platforms provided by the election authority...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 658 ✭✭✭jjpep

Triangle wrote: »

Had a read of that article and came to the conclusion that it upholds the independents standards pretty well i.e. its nonsense.

You could maybe make the argument that some one who doesn't vote is some kind of freeloader (maybe) but if the extent of your research on who to vote for is based just on posters and leaflets then maybe you shouldn't get to vote.

• Advertisement

jjpep wrote: »
    Had a read of that article and came to the conclusion that it upholds the independents standards pretty well i.e. its nonsense.

You could maybe make the argument that some one who doesn't vote is some kind of freeloader (maybe) but if the extent of your research on who to vote for is based just on posters and leaflets then maybe you shouldn't get to vote.

I 100% prefer leaflets over anything else. I can read peoples leaflets and get a good grasp about what they care about and back it up with a little of my own research. Rarely feel the need to talk to them

Advertisement