Advertisement
We've partnered up with Nixers.com to offer a space where you can talk directly to Peter from Nixers.com and get an exclusive Boards.ie discount code for a free job listing. If you are recruiting or know anyone else who is please check out the forum here.
If you have a new account but can't post, please email Niamh on [email protected] for help to verify your email address. Thanks :)

Nollaig na mban

• 05-01-2019 12:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,748 ✭✭✭ Caranica

Anyone doing anything special tomorrow for Nollaig na mban? There's loads of fun events on around the country, not a lot in Dublin alas.

Trying to come up with a plan with my best friend. Was going to do boozy brunch but now thinking afternoon cinema and early dinner.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭ Kristopherus

Stay in bed !!!!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 26,589 Mod ✭✭✭✭ Posy

It's always been Little Christmas for me.
    I'll be having a nice dinner and dessert today :) and tomorrow will be taking down the decorations! :(

• Registered Users Posts: 4,324 ✭✭✭ Day Lewin

We will have a good dinner, put the kings into the Crib, and say farewell to the Christmas decorations, which will come down on Monday.
    Not into the "women" thing, a friend of mine used to host a gathering of wimmins on the 6th and frankly I thought it was boring with no male company!

In any case you need a man around to wash the dishes. ;-) #lighthearted

• Registered Users Posts: 4,065 ✭✭✭ otnomart

Happy Epiphany / Three Kings' Day, everyone !

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,336 Mod ✭✭✭✭ Loughc

nmlytk.jpg

Getting back on track :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,512 ✭✭✭ baby and crumble

Nollaig n mBan is a great idea until you're lesbians. Who's going to make MY dinner then, eh?????!?????!?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,291 ✭✭✭ lbc2019

Nollaig n mBan is a great idea until you're lesbians. Who's going to make MY dinner then, eh?????!?????!?

You gay friends will host dinner

• Registered Users Posts: 7,699 ✭✭✭ DvB

Is little Christmas, 6th Jan, the first day after the end of the 12 days of christmas or the actual 12th day? Forever getting this wrong but I always understood that december 25th was the first day of the 12 days.
    "I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year" - Charles Dickens

• Registered Users Posts: 1,872 ✭✭✭ Conall Cernach

I never heard tell of this until a year or two ago. It was always Epiphany or Little Christmas in my youth and there was nothing really special about it only the decorations had to be taken down.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,336 Mod ✭✭✭✭ Loughc

DvB wrote: »
    Is little Christmas, 6th Jan, the first day after the end of the 12 days of christmas or the actual 12th day? Forever getting this wrong but I always understood that december 25th was the first day of the 12 days.

For me I count little Christmas as the first day after the 12 days of Christmas. The curtain closer to the Christmas season. I know others opinions differ but that’s how I view it.

• Advertisement

That's how it works in my mind too, Loughc.
    I use it as a good reason to get an Indian, Chinese or Thai. :D

Non-festive posts deleted. Stick to Christmassy topics please. :)

Loughc wrote: »
    For me I count little Christmas as the first day after the 12 days of Christmas. The curtain closer to the Christmas season. I know others opinions differ but that’s how I view it.

That was my understanding too. Will work with that, both mods cant be wrong IMO.😀
    "I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year" - Charles Dickens

• Registered Users Posts: 8,512 ✭✭✭ baby and crumble

Posy wrote: »

I use it as a good reason to get an Indian, Chinese or Thai. :D

We're off takeaways until after our holidays! :(

Just make sure you don't make the same mistake next Little Christmas!! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 15,307 ✭✭✭✭ Spanish Eyes

It's a big thing in Cork, but is it the same everywhere else? I don't really think so. But open to correction.

I never heard of it in Dublin until it was mentioned on this forum.

Little Christmas and not taking the tree down before the 6th was always a thing when we were growing up in Dublin, but nollaig na mban definitely wasn't something I remember being referred to much, if at all if I'm being honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,748 ✭✭✭ Caranica

Had a great day with my best friend. Food, drinks and a movie. Home now, will plug the lights out at midnight and take a single decoration down. Everything else comes down tomorrow

Advertisement