Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Nollaig na mban

• 05-01-2019 1:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10,000 ✭✭✭✭

Anyone doing anything special tomorrow for Nollaig na mban? There's loads of fun events on around the country, not a lot in Dublin alas.

Trying to come up with a plan with my best friend. Was going to do boozy brunch but now thinking afternoon cinema and early dinner.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

Stay in bed !!!!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 27,523 Mod ✭✭✭✭Posy

It's always been Little Christmas for me.
    I'll be having a nice dinner and dessert today :) and tomorrow will be taking down the decorations! :(

• Registered Users Posts: 4,604 ✭✭✭Day Lewin

We will have a good dinner, put the kings into the Crib, and say farewell to the Christmas decorations, which will come down on Monday.
    Not into the "women" thing, a friend of mine used to host a gathering of wimmins on the 6th and frankly I thought it was boring with no male company!

In any case you need a man around to wash the dishes. ;-) #lighthearted

• Registered Users Posts: 4,065 ✭✭✭otnomart

Happy Epiphany / Three Kings' Day, everyone !

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,720 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

nmlytk.jpg

Getting back on track :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,512 ✭✭✭baby and crumble

Nollaig n mBan is a great idea until you're lesbians. Who's going to make MY dinner then, eh?????!?????!?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,291 ✭✭✭lbc2019

Nollaig n mBan is a great idea until you're lesbians. Who's going to make MY dinner then, eh?????!?????!?

You gay friends will host dinner

• Registered Users Posts: 10,114 ✭✭✭✭DvB

Is little Christmas, 6th Jan, the first day after the end of the 12 days of christmas or the actual 12th day? Forever getting this wrong but I always understood that december 25th was the first day of the 12 days.
    "I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year" - Charles Dickens

• Registered Users Posts: 1,924 ✭✭✭Conall Cernach

I never heard tell of this until a year or two ago. It was always Epiphany or Little Christmas in my youth and there was nothing really special about it only the decorations had to be taken down.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,720 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

DvB wrote: »
    Is little Christmas, 6th Jan, the first day after the end of the 12 days of christmas or the actual 12th day? Forever getting this wrong but I always understood that december 25th was the first day of the 12 days.

For me I count little Christmas as the first day after the 12 days of Christmas. The curtain closer to the Christmas season. I know others opinions differ but that’s how I view it.

• Advertisement

That's how it works in my mind too, Loughc.
    I use it as a good reason to get an Indian, Chinese or Thai. :D

Non-festive posts deleted. Stick to Christmassy topics please. :)

Loughc wrote: »
    For me I count little Christmas as the first day after the 12 days of Christmas. The curtain closer to the Christmas season. I know others opinions differ but that’s how I view it.

That was my understanding too. Will work with that, both mods cant be wrong IMO.😀
    "I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year" - Charles Dickens

• Registered Users Posts: 8,512 ✭✭✭baby and crumble

Posy wrote: »

I use it as a good reason to get an Indian, Chinese or Thai. :D

We're off takeaways until after our holidays! :(

Just make sure you don't make the same mistake next Little Christmas!! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 15,865 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

It's a big thing in Cork, but is it the same everywhere else? I don't really think so. But open to correction.

I never heard of it in Dublin until it was mentioned on this forum.

Little Christmas and not taking the tree down before the 6th was always a thing when we were growing up in Dublin, but nollaig na mban definitely wasn't something I remember being referred to much, if at all if I'm being honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,000 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

Had a great day with my best friend. Food, drinks and a movie. Home now, will plug the lights out at midnight and take a single decoration down. Everything else comes down tomorrow

Advertisement