Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Family holidays... What are people spending nowadays

Options
  • 04-01-2019 11:53am
    Registered Users Posts: 377 ✭✭

Hi there,

Last year our 12 days away cost around 5,500 euro including spending money. Family of 5.

That is an awful amount of money for those on average income but when I look for this year I can't get anything cheaper, that is decent.

What are people generally spending?

Comments

ThumbTaxed wrote: »
    Hi there,

Last year our 12 days away cost around 5,500 euro including spending money. Family of 5.

That is an awful amount of money for those on average income but when I look for this year I can't get anything cheaper, that is decent.

Really depends on lots of factors. Were you go, how long, what you do there, do you book everything yourself or through an agent, do you rent a car, do you eat out for all meals or only dinner etc

I'd imagine I could go on a holiday for a week with my wife for less than 2K including flights / accom and spending.

• Registered Users Posts: 377 ✭✭ThumbTaxed

^ I am talking about a holiday for 5, 1 teenage and 2 younger kids for short of 2 weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,744 ✭✭✭CelticRambler

This family is much diminished of late, when it comes to holidays, but it all depends on what you want. My budget is around about 2k for 2-3weeks for me plus 2-4 late teens/young adults. That's nearly all travel and food; accommodation is "free" in a campervan; entertainment is free or very low cost doing things that ... are free or very low cost. We go to festivals that work out at about 5-10€/day, but our main annual holiday involves volunteering at one such festival so we save that and get free food and drink for nearly a week.

Most mountains, beaches and city parks have no entry charge; but my sister can easily spend in one day what we spend in a month ...

• Registered Users Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

really depends on what month - big difference between June and July/Aug

We usually go in June

Flights can typically cost us about 800-1000
    Accom is usually 1500-2000

Generally tend to spend about 1500 spends for food/snacks, generally eat out every 2nd/3rd night as we generally go self catering and have bfast & lunch in and BBq every 2nd night
    Car hire about 400, parking about 100 long term
    Factor in travel insurance for about 70eur and the sun cream, etc accessories
    We are 4 so 5500 could be realistic with family of 5

• Registered Users Posts: 7,673 ✭✭✭whippet

That is a ‘how long is a piece of string’ question.

It all depends on what level of accom / luxury you want.

Myself and my wide work hard and are fortunate to be able to afford a little extra and our annual summer holidays are something we really savour. We have two kids and on average spend about €10k each year .. we budget for it and see it as part of the annual household budget.

But horses for courses .. a family of five can have superb holidays on a fraction of that

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,248 ✭✭✭naughtysmurf

whippet wrote: »
    That is a ‘how long is a piece of string’ question.

It all depends on what level of accom / luxury you want.

Yes, this really & also what you plan to do while away, if you're just on a beach or around a pool, you can keep your costs down but if you're visiting water parks, theme parks, boat trips etc it all mounts up

We stopped using travel agents once the second child came along as we get much more bang for our buck that way, we don't compromise on accommodation, has to be decent, look at all options & compare S/C, Half board & all inclusive

Myself and my Mrs are abroad for a week in September, flights, accommodation 4* half board, one way airport transfer & 5 days car hire & a few Euro for drinks & lunch is about 2K

A week in July with the Mrs & teenage daughter similar to above will be 2.8 - 3k

For a European summer sun holiday for 3 or 4 of us we budget about 5K in total but I set up flight alerts for best price & book well reviewed accommodation, could do it for less but our preference for good quality quiet accommodation is important to us

^ I am talking about a holiday for 5, 1 teenage and 2 younger kids for short of 2 weeks.

Can you describe what you are looking for generally from a holiday?
    Destinations you'd consider?
    With 5 for comfort you need at least two bedrooms + a sofa bed, self-catering?
    Willing to hire a car?

Normally get a ferry to France while schools are still in, and use Tesco vouchers. Accommodation is free thanks to the in laws mobile home, so general cost of summer holidays for 2 adults & 2 young kids is about €400 after vouchers.

There are additional costs like dog kennels, petrol, tolls, but the ferry off peak is reasonable.

• Registered Users Posts: 817 ✭✭✭shar01

I've mentioned it before in this forum but sometimes it's worthwhile turning your eyes east - beaches of north Poland & Germany.

https://www.skyscanner.net/news/10-best-beaches-germany-pictures

We've been to Gdynia, Poland in May and September. Low 20s. We stayed in apartments - http://www.sleepy3city.com/?room=abrahama-16c-1-6. They were basic with Ikea furniture but we were out all day so it was just somewhere to put to the head down.

Your money goes further. When you're fed up with sand there are day trips to the likes of Gdansk or Malbork.

If you can offload the kids - less than €70 for six courses with wine. It was absolutely delicious - https://www.sztuczka.com/degustacyjne?utm_medium=referral&utm_source=tripadvisor

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,464 ✭✭✭Ultimate Seduction

Family of 4, Spain in June I booked last night .

Flights 4 × 150

Accom 650

Deposit 200

Parking 50

Trains\taxis 150

Spending money 2k

Total for 7 days circa 3k.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,288 ✭✭✭✭fits

These are expensive! We will be staycationing until the twins are older!

fits wrote: »
    These are expensive! We will be staycationing until the twins are older!

There is cheaper options available if you're smart and not too fusy. I went to PalmaNova Majorca last May, accom was 280 for the week, fights were 110 each.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,420 ✭✭✭splinter65

Hi there,

A cousin of mine told me that including days out and their holiday in Florida which is just ending and 2 weeks in the Costa Brava in August their family of 2 adults and 2 young kids spent 11,000 sterling last year. Ridiculous stuff.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

We as a family usually go to Italy for 10 days each year. July/August. Book everything myself, rarely have I spent more than 1700 on flights/accommodation/car hire. Spending money is sperate .

• Registered Users Posts: 11,904 ✭✭✭✭anewme

Friend in work had two children and they normally have 2 weeks in Spain or Portugal and a long weekend in Ireland- spends about 10-12k per year.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,288 ✭✭✭✭fits

Bloody hell. I’m definitely not earning enough money. That’d be our mortgage for a year.

It's all relative to what you earn and can afford I suppose. I'd never get myself in debt for a holiday anyway that's for sure, but if you're working hard all year you have to enjoy the fruits of your labour. I'd prefer to blow a few grand in Spain or wherever than sit around a wet an windy ballybunion.

On a different note had a look at a 3 day break end of August in Center Parc in Longford for 3 adults, 926 euro. For kicks and giggles priced flights and accommodation in Malaga for the same dates and number of people 824 euro. Boom is back baby.

On a different note had a look at a 3 day break end of August in Center Parc in Longford for 3 adults, 926 euro. For kicks and giggles priced flights and accommodation in Malaga for the same dates and number of people 824 euro. Boom is back baby.

I think that's a bit of an unfair comparison, unless you are comparing it with a similar type centr park set up.

Some people (especially with kids) might prefer to stay local if all the activities and facilities are there.

Centr Parc have a good reputation in the UK.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,838 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

Last year, 16 days in France, family of 5 (on fairly high-end campsites, staying in mobile homes).
    Ferry and accommodation around 2500
    Other stuff ~1500

this was high season, school exams mean we're stuck with July or August for the foreseeable future. Accommodation is cheaper in June but the ferry may be more expensive and the weather in France is less reliable. You could certainly do it cheaper if you went for lower spec campsites (but you then lose a lot of facilities for the kids); we also ate out a fair bit as I don't want to spend my hols shopping and cooking.

I've looked at package holidays to Spain or Portugal, the cost is just prohibitive - sharing a 1 bed apartment with small kids may be ok, but with three teenagers the accommodation becomes stupidly expensive.
    Centr Parc have a good reputation in the UK.

they also have a reputation for being eye-wateringly expensive.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭weetiepie

We as a family usually go to Italy for 10 days each year. July/August. Book everything myself, rarely have I spent more than 1700 on flights/accommodation/car hire. Spending money is sperate .

Would love to know more about this!..thinking of maybe heading to Italy with our family of five

anewme wrote:
    I think that's a bit of an unfair comparison, unless you are comparing it with a similar type centr park set up.

Not sure how you work that out. The price is for 3 days accommodation only. All activities are at an extra cost. I gave an example of 3 days accommodation and flights in Malaga as a comparison also similar to the set up in Longford activities etc would be at an extra cost. Clearly we have a different opinion, Ireland is being viewed again in the phrase used several years by a UK executive "treasure Island" due to the vast profits they reap here.

weetiepie wrote:
    Would love to know more about this!..thinking of maybe heading to Italy with our family of five

Ryanair fly in to Treviso airport, fly mid week far cheaper. Lake Garda is amazing. Plenty of accommodation options. We have stayed on campsites and can't recommend them enough but have also used Air BnB too. Book a nine seater for comfort if you don't want to use public transport but public transport is very good and affordable. If you do hire a vehicle take out excess insurance here great piece of mind. Plus hiring a car gives you the freedom to explore what is a beautiful region of Italy.

• Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭Springfields

This aren't really any cheap holidays when you've a family of 5 especially with younger kids and you can't rough it a bit. We won't be going abroad again until the baby is at least 3 but even to stay in Ireland for a week somewhere on a self catering basis will cost 1200/1300 euros to start and that's solely accommodation.

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭weetiepie

Ryanair fly in to Treviso airport, fly mid week far cheaper. Lake Garda is amazing. Plenty of accommodation options. We have stayed on campsites and can't recommend them enough but have also used Air BnB too. Book a nine seater for comfort if you don't want to use public transport but public transport is very good and affordable. If you do hire a vehicle take out excess insurance here great piece of mind. Plus hiring a car gives you the freedom to explore what is a beautiful region of Italy.

Have been to Tuscany before, before kiddies came along and hired a car. Driving was crazy there at times. But would love to be able to afford to do it with children. Have you been anywhere around the Tuscan region? Any air bnb s or campsites you would recommend?

Not sure how you work that out. The price is for 3 days accommodation only. All activities are at an extra cost. I gave an example of 3 days accommodation and flights in Malaga as a comparison also similar to the set up in Longford activities etc would be at an extra cost. Clearly we have a different opinion, Ireland is being viewed again in the phrase used several years by a UK executive "treasure Island" due to the vast profits they reap here.

I disagree- I just think there are different budgets.

For example, why do so many people stay in Kelly's Rosslare, when they could stay in a caravan park up the road.

There is no right or wrong answer to this question- it's down to the individual and their budgets and expectations.

I wouldn't knock anyone who goes to the centr park- hope it works out.

anewme wrote:
    I wouldn't knock anyone who goes to the centr park- hope it works out.

If you read my post I was not knocking anyone going to Center Park. I highlighted the cost. Regardless of income or budget I feel 929 euro for a 3 day stay for 3 adults self catering is ridiculous, but that's just my opinion.

Here is a DIY bucket & spade holiday for July for the OP

July 2 -13 (11 nights )

Rtn flights out of DUB current price with priority boarding so seated together & 50kg of cabin luggage should be enough, €1731.90.
    Think that price will fall though so a saving can be made if you wait to book

Accommodation 2 bed semi-detached in a quiet place we've stayed before, not this particular property but another one in Los Abanicos, eldest child on a sofabed, WiFi, hot tub, private rooftop terrace, 5 minutes walk to supermarket, 30 minutes walk to center of Corralejo or a few euro in a taxi, communal pool, 5 minutes drive to 7km of fantastic beach, €800 (€72 per night ) good recent reviews
    https://www.homeaway.co.uk/p8015297#

Return private transfer airport / accommodation €85, cheaper than a taxi
    https://www.vivatransfers.com/index.php#

1 week car hire during stay €120 with Cicar, all insurance included
    https://www.cicar.com/en

Total €2736.90

All depends on what you spend after that,

I don't think that's a terrible price for a family of 5 to get to the sun in peak season, the flights are expensive at the moment, set up a price alert & book when they drop a bit but everything else is pretty reasonable, you have breakfast in your accommodation, pack lunch into cool bags for beach days at a nominal cost, eat out in the evening, have 2/3/4 evening meals in, easy & cheap enough to rustle up a curry or pasta & garlic bread, cooked chicken or pizza especially when traveling with kids, Alcohol is cheap in the supermarket if needed.

weetiepie wrote:
    Have been to Tuscany before, before kiddies came along and hired a car. Driving was crazy there at times. But would love to be able to afford to do it with children. Have you been anywhere around the Tuscan region? Any air bnb s or campsites you would recommend?

Familiar with Tuscany particularly Lucca and Pisa. Ryanair also flies in to Pisa. Have stayed in Pisa and Lucca but only for a couple of nights. We had our base in Lake Garda. You can search for campsites on Camping Italia, the facilities are usually very good no matter where the site is. Last year we stayed in Verona in an apartment we found on Airbnb. There was 6 of us, apartment cost 620 euro for 9 days. Also stayed on a campsite outside Rome 2 years ago. 7 of us in mobile, all adults little tight but great fun the large veranda helped . On the public transport route, so a bus and underground had us at the Colosseum in 20 minutes.

• Advertisement

If you read my post I was not knocking anyone going to Center Park. I highlighted the cost. Regardless of income or budget I feel 929 euro for a 3 day stay for 3 adults self catering is ridiculous, but that's just my opinion.

You said it with the boom is back, baby type statement as if anyone going had more money than sense, so that comes across as knocking them a bit.

I'm not sure Longford would be my ideal location either, but I'd be curious to see the Centr parc standard.

Advertisement