Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UniSlim

Options
  • 04-01-2019 11:07am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,889 ✭✭✭

I've noticed a few former slimming world consultants are now working with Unislim.

I had success on SW the year before last but it stopped after about 8 months when the group that was convenient to me changed day and location so I could no longer go. I tried a few others but nothing stuck. I found some of them just way too busy and honestly it just pissed me off to spend the guts of 30 minutes queuing to pay €9 to get weighed. I found the meeting times really awkward and got nothing (other than boredom and frustration) from the meetings themselves. All evening meetings are always at the same times (either 5.30 or 7.30), it didnt seem like by going somewhere else you could find a better time.

I tried another meeting last year that was not that close to where I live. I was so stressed trying to get there before 6pm for weigh in due to traffic coming from work. I like to weigh in before dinner, so I found going to the later session too late and it would take over my evening. I'd only be home for about an hour, but feeling like I was getting nothing done, just hanging around waiting to go to SW, and then my dinner would be late.

Apparently Unislim has specific sessions for you to just weigh and go, and the hours seem more convenient. Also, there is one opening a 5 minute walk from my house!

So my question is, how do people like the plan? How does it differ from SW and what have peoples experiences been? I did like the SW plan and it worked for me far better than WW which I tried a few years ago. I didnt like WW that much as I was always hungry and felt I was eating more processed foods.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,062 ✭✭✭Dixie Chick

I was a member of unislim and then a leader but finished up just before xmas.

The plan is in my opinion much more balances and easy to follow that SW and WW and I have done both

It is based on eating 3 meals and 2 small snacks a day. A carb is advised with each main meal (measured, usually 60g but potato higher) and then it is advise to have a lean protein and half a plate of veg/salad.

I lost and kept my weight off with it which was the biggest achievement for me as I was always able to lose but would see it back on. Currently I am pregnant and now that my appetite is returning and I delighted to be back eating my lovely avocados and poached eggs on toast etc.

I know it is just €10 to join for the next few weeks, you have nothing to lose going and sitting in for the new members chat, working the plan for a few weeks and using the weigh and go option

Good luck with it!

• Registered Users Posts: 18 darash

I'm currently in US and highly recommend it. I've also done the other 2 plans. I believe every plan will work if you have a good leader and the class is convenient. Prior to my current leader I had some crap US leaders as well!

However, the plan itself is very good and fairly easy to follow. The classes are quick and if you stay for the full class there's a 10 min talk at the end. No food is banned but obviously sugary, high GI etc type food are 'counted', most veg, fruit, protein are free. And carbs are weighed but allowed with each meal.

I'd def recommend it, hope this helps.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,889 ✭✭✭SozBbz

Thanks everyone. I took the plunge last night and joined the new group that just started locally.

Seems to have given me a bit of a push, early days obviously but the felxibility of the weigh and go option, short sharp meetings, and it being so close to home all bode well (as its the opposite of what used to drive me nuts about Slimming World.)

I'm up 1stone 3lbs from my lowest weight on SW (i never quite got to target!) However, I think at least half a stone of that was December, so hopefully it will come off quickly.

Still getting to grips with the plan but so far it sounds very doable. Lots to choose from! Today for lunch (in work) I walked into town and bought a ready meal in M&S which was under 400 calories so free on plan. It was one of the Balanced for You range and was genuinely very nice!

I'll be making my slimming world spice bag and using my Bites on the curry sauce and smash to bread the chicken. I'll be doing 200g of homemade chips and plenty of peppers and onions to bulk it out.

Its good to feel back on plan, even if its a different plan!

Best of luck with it. Don't forget there's lots of 'free' curry sauces in US recipes page.

D

darash wrote: »
    Best of luck with it. Don't forget there's lots of 'free' curry sauces in US recipes page.

D

Thanks everyone! I used up the end of my Mayflower curry but I had the bites for it on the day :)

I've generally been finding it grand, but yesterday was my birthday so I was off plan, however not as far off as I otherwise might have been :)

The free oil allowance is great because for certain things I love real oil over frylight. I use the tesco extra virgin olive oil 2cal spray so I'm easily using less than 1 tsp, but its great not to need to count it.

And I love having 1/2 an avocado with my breakfast at the weekend also!

Also, one thing that I couldnt find in the glossary was Honey - can anyone tell me where how this is counted in Bites?

• Advertisement

Hi there, honey is .5 bite per teaspoon. Not sure of the page as I'm at work do you have the app? Its great for calculating.

Thanks! Yep I have the app but still finding it a bit funny... the search function is a bit hit and miss IMO but maybe im still getting used to it.

First week still going ok (with the exception the Birthday!) but starting to get nervous about my first weigh in on Thursday. I hope I see some sort of reward because the plan has been pretty great, I've been eating really well so its almost hard to imagine that I'm losing weight!

My favorite things so far about it are

-1/2 avocado per day.... I've not used this every day, just twice, but its lovely not to have to factor this in a a 1/2 is pleanty.
    -free sauces such a Lighter than Light mayo and low sugar ketchup - again I'm happy to make the swap and its handy not to be eating into my Bites for a bit of sauce on the side :)
    -free skimmed milk... I'm not a huge milk drinker, its really only for coffee and a dash in my porridge if I'm having it, but again so handy not to be eating into my biles allowance.

I'm grand wiht the carb limits - rice, pasta, potato are all fine, the only one that I find a bit low is pasta, but I'd be happy to spend a bite or two for a bit extra to bring it up to 80g or 90g if I'm really hungry.

You're doing grand, I'd say.

I love my skinny lattes & use skimmed to make my porridge. Like you, I find the carbs allowance is fine, I might go up a half for my sandwich but that's OK.

For some reason I've hit a wall this week, both food & exercise, first time since I started last Sept. Just got to accept it & try have a better day tomorrow.

Good luck Thursday, D

Thanks! I'm feeling reasonably condifent, which is probably better than usual.

I'd a bit of a realisation about the last time I joined Slimming World (that makes it sound like I've joined a million times, but it was only twice :))

Anyway, when I joined last summer, I think I must have been expecting a similar loss to my first time joining (4.5lbs) even though my start weight was 1.5 stone less. Then I got really disappointed with a 1lb loss and don't think my head was ever in the game after that. I'm 2lbs up from that SW weighin last summer so very similar starting point.

I'm now feeling a lot calmer this time, and know to accept any loss I get this week as a good thing. I need to just focus on enjoying the plan, focusing on the foods I can eat rather than what I can't have.

Id overnight oats this morning, going to run to M&S for lunch (Balanced for you meal :)) and some fruit and then I've taken out a happy pear red lental dahl from the freezer that I batch cooked previously for tonight, and is basically fat free.

Treat wise I went to Dealz yesterday and got some Weightwatchers popcorn and crisps (1 Bite or less each) and have some caramel fredos (1.5 bites) if I get some late night muchies.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,008 ✭✭✭uch

Can I ask anyone who knows, are Bites similar to Points in WW? How many do you get a day? and can you carry them over?

I was thinking of trying Unislim myself, I used to go to WW but they changed the Class day/time and I can't make it anymore

21/25

• Advertisement

uch wrote: »
    Can I ask anyone who knows, are Bites similar to Points in WW? How many do you get a day? and can you carry them over?

I was thinking of trying Unislim myself, I used to go to WW but they changed the Class day/time and I can't make it anymore

Its a similar concept, but I'd say its more similar to Slimming World, in that theres a list of free foods that you don't count anything against, and then anything over that has a Bites value.

Depending on various factors you get between 5-8 per day, and you can carry some of them over and earn some for exercise.

I'm still in week1 so early days to give a verdict but IMO having a convenient class and a good leader is all important, which is why I've gone with Unislim this time.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,008 ✭✭✭uch

SozBbz wrote: »
    Its a similar concept, but I'd say its more similar to Slimming World, in that theres a list of free foods that you don't count anything against, and then anything over that has a Bites value.

Depending on various factors you get between 5-8 per day, and you can carry some of them over and earn some for exercise.

I'm still in week1 so early days to give a verdict but IMO having a convenient class and a good leader is all important, which is why I've gone with Unislim this time.

Thanks for that, how much is it to Join?

21/25

uch wrote: »
    Thanks for that, how much is it to Join?

Think the offer to join for €10 is still running.

Down 3lbs!

Delighted! Trying not to get too carried away but its more than I'd thought considering my starting weight wasnt the worst (welll, I wish it was lower obviously, but I've started these things at a much higher weight previously - a stone and a half higher)

Anyways, its a great boost as I didnt have a perfect week - I'd drinks a few nights, but kept it to Corona lights and Gin and Slims, so I guess even though I wasnt 100% on plan, I was making better choices where I could so delighted to see a good loss.

Well done, you were probably within your bites with the gin/tonic & corona lites. Anyway, its a great start, so well-done you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27 marthabarry

Ive just joined Unislim, I like the plan. Does anyone know if theres a big difference points wise between ordinary rashers and medallions?? Thanks

Ive just joined Unislim, I like the plan. Does anyone know if theres a big difference points wise between ordinary rashers and medallions?? Thanks

Bites wise? I'd say so. Lean meats are essential to most plans, not just Unislim, WW and SW too.

Also theres a bit variation when it comes to rashers, some are leaner than others. I just checked the app and it said 1x streaky bacon is 1 bite if fried and 0.5 if grilled.

It doesnt give other types of bacon but you could check the book.

My advice would be to go for the medalions and save your bites!

• Registered Users Posts: 8 Pollypoket123

Hi all, I'm currently doing ww and was doing good up until Xmas but just haven't been able to get back into it since. I'm thinking of changing to US to change things up a bit, but I haven't tried US before, is it much different to ww? Or should I just persevere with ww? Maybe something different is going to be the kick in the ard I need! Any advice please

• Registered Users Posts: 543 ✭✭✭mrsberries

Hi all. Started US on Weds night. Ive done the other plans but need something new to mix things up. However I found both my meeting and leader a tad uninspiring. There was only 6 ppl in attendance and it lasted about 10 minutes where I learned very little. Im determined to give this a go but not sure what I can have for snacks etc as the app doesn't have everything (for example is cheese ever free if I used it as my lean protein?) ....what do people eat for snacks every day and do you follow any inspiring US instagram accounts? There are so many great SW ones but its a way bigger machine!!

mrsberries wrote: »
    Hi all. Started US on Weds night. Ive done the other plans but need something new to mix things up. However I found both my meeting and leader a tad uninspiring. There was only 6 ppl in attendance and it lasted about 10 minutes where I learned very little. Im determined to give this a go but not sure what I can have for snacks etc as the app doesn't have everything (for example is cheese ever free if I used it as my lean protein?) ....what do people eat for snacks every day and do you follow any inspiring US instagram accounts? There are so many great SW ones but its a way bigger machine!!

Well....cheese is not lean in any way, so its not an option as a protein choice. Cheese is always bites. Lean proteins are meat (or certain veggie alternatives) with all visable fat removed.

I agree that the app is a bit limited, but the plan is quite simple and most answers are in the book. The app is handy in certain circumstances but its far from perfect.

My leader is Derek (@unislimwithderek) and he's pretty good on insta. You could also try @slimwithfiona and @darrynsfood as other good Unislim accounts.

I tend to snack on fruit, youhurts and a bit of chocolate in the evening, using the 1 bite = 75 calorie rule. I probably use the vast majority of my bites on cheese and chocolate.

The good thing about US is the fact you can have (portion controlled) carbs at each meal, and there are loads of low cal sauces etc that are classed as free. Also soups under 60cal per 100g and readymeals under 400 cals are free.

Diary wise i think the only thing free is skimmed milk.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭tamara25

I might also give unislim a go. I’m fed up counting calories & can’t shift the last stone at all., if I join online how long does it take for the information pack to come out in the post?

• Registered Users Posts: 5 LB27no2

Hey can I ask how long ur pack took to come as I've ordered mine yesterday and expected to at least get my code for the app but nothing bar my receipt as yet. Dying to get started.

Advertisement