Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Recommendations please: big boot, 30k kms per year

Options
  • 03-01-2019 10:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,452 ✭✭✭

Hi everyone, having received great advice the last time I was here I'm back looking for your collective wisdom again....

Currently drive a 2010 2litre VW Golf (which i love!) But unfortunately have outgrown. It is our main car, husband drives a jeep. I have a young baby.

Our inlaws live over 2 hours drive away. We visit approx every 4 weeks and are finding it increasingly difficult to fit everything we need for an overnight stay in to the car. (Usually have my BIL with us when we go so 3 adults and baby in car) We are currently trying for a second baby also.

Anyway, main concern is that we need a bigger boot and preferably a more spacious cabin(husband cannot sit in front seat if baby seat is behind him as he is tall and can't let seat back far enough,) this means changing the babyseat from side to side depending on which one of us is driving. This is driving us demented so we are looking to upgrade.

Wish list:
    Diesel
    Big boot
    Spacious cabin
    I dislike the look of estate type cars(i know they're practical and would solve our problem)
    15k budget

So...good boardsies.... any recommendations or will i have to get over myself and succumb to an estate?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,648 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Octavia Estate. Or Octavia hatchback

• Registered Users Posts: 3,452 ✭✭✭History Queen

listermint wrote: »
    Octavia Estate. Or Octavia hatchback

Cheers for the reply. Have never driven a Skoda and no dealership near me so will do some research. Generally a good car do you know and roughly what year would I get for our budget?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,027 ✭✭✭Lantus

An octavia would suit you well. A gargantuan boot that still blows me away after a year. Lovely cabin and drive. You will get great value and its part of the vw range so will feel close to home.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,629 ✭✭✭Wildly Boaring

(Usually have my BIL with us when we go so 3 adults and baby in car) We are currently trying for a second baby also.

See this bit.

Is it a deal breaker?
    Is the BIL big?

We have 2 under 2.

A skinny adult can fit between them in 5 series or kuga and get their belt on. Just

They would not be comfortable for 2 hours.

Cheers for the reply. Have never driven a Skoda and no dealership near me so will do some research. Generally a good car do you know and roughly what year would I get for our budget?

Looking skoda used car sales I'd say a mid range ambition spec 1.6tdi 2015 or 2016.

• Advertisement

See this bit.

Is it a deal breaker?
    Is the BIL big?

We have 2 under 2.

A skinny adult can fit between them in 5 series or kuga and get their belt on. Just

They would not be comfortable for 2 hours.

Average build for a guy in his late 20s. Not particularly broad, but not slim either. I suppose it is likely I'll be relegated to the back if we have a second baby.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,384 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Buy gear that you can leave at the in laws place. Kids take up less space in the car as they get bigger. If you love the car you have you’d be bonkers spending money on something you don’t necessarily need.

colm_mcm wrote: »
    Buy gear that you can leave at the in laws place. Kids take up less space in the car as they get bigger. If you love the car you have you’d be bonkers spending money on something you don’t necessarily need.

Have tried this, but inlaws weren't happy with us leaving travel cot (folded up) and high chair up there. To be fair, not them being unreasonable but we stay on pull out couch in living room and there isn't really room to store extras anywhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,394 ✭✭✭pah

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/ford-s-max-2-0-tdci-titanium-140ps-7-seats-high-s/20142493

Ford Smax. This will solve your current problem and future proof you in the event of successful baby making.

With the middle row pushed back you could put the car seat behind either front seat and not need to swap around when changing driver. The boot will be monstrous with the rear 2 seats down.

BIl will be comfortable in the future seated alongside 2 car seats in a full sized seat of his own.

Average build for a guy in his late 20s. Not particularly broad, but not slim either. I suppose it is likely I'll be relegated to the back if we have a second baby.

Long as you are aware that he will be quite uncomfortable if ye have a second child and purchase a "normal" car.

By normal I mean not a 7 seater or mpv.

I'd go for a crossover.
    Never would have before I we had kids and personally would go for an estate even still.

It's just my wife would not touch a lower car for next 3 years. She finds putting kids into back of crossover way easier.

She has a kuga and getting an ateca.

Boot is plenty big for buggies and what not.
    (We actually do the exact same with the 2 kids, both sets of parents near Dublin and we are 2 hours away)

So if looking 15k - kuga, RAV or CRV be my choice. I prefer the CRV.

• Advertisement

Have tried this, but inlaws weren't happy with us leaving travel cot (folded up) and high chair up there. To be fair, not them being unreasonable but we stay on pull out couch in living room and there isn't really room to store extras anywhere.

Saw this.
    We keep a travel cot and high chair in both parents' houses.

You can get a very small high chair. Sites onto table.

https://www.hellobabydirect.com/phil-teds-lobster-portable-highchair-black?gclid=CjwKCAiAgrfhBRA3EiwAnfF4tmtmbjEYBvYtxV-sL2FzPWj9mW06TiRef2wKle1zEq26xuVztX6ixBoCHG4QAvD_BwE

A travel cot folds up tiny

A travel cot folds up tiny

Ya we said this too....and demonstrated.... but to no avail... inlaws are lovely but can be a bit odd...

Ya we said this too....and demonstrated.... but to no avail... inlaws are lovely but can be a bit odd...

Maybe they’re dropping hints to stay at home :D

Maybe they’re dropping hints to stay at home :D

Maybe! End of thread...problem solved! 😠:D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,220 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

I'd have said a skoda superb rather than Octavia. You'd be able to pick up a clean enough 2014-2015 one for 15k.

Boot is one of the biggest going. Loads of room in the back too.

I'd have said a skoda superb rather than Octavia. You'd be able to pick up a clean enough 2014-2015 one for 15k.

Boot is one of the biggest going. Loads of room in the back too.

Superb is a nicer drive and better car overall. The amount of long driving being done is minimal though so it's a trade off between the slightly better car albeit older and a newer octavia.

I'd probably lean towards the octavia but a few test drives should help op decide.

Called to a local garage today for a nose around. Told the salesman what I posted here and he made similar suggestions. Also suggested the Ford Mondeo and showed me the lift back boot...it was huge! Another suggestion he made was a 7 seater quashqui with rear seats left down to maximise boot space.

Viewed an Octavia (most basic model) and didn't like it when I sat in, salesperson said not to be put off as higher spec models are nicer inside. Will see if can find a higher spec one.

What do people think of above suggestions?

Called to a local garage today for a nose around. Told the salesman what I posted here and he made similar suggestions. Also suggested the Ford Mondeo and showed me the lift back boot...it was huge! Another suggestion he made was a 7 seater quashqui with rear seats left down to maximise boot space.

Viewed an Octavia (most basic model) and didn't like it when I sat in, salesperson said not to be put off as higher spec models are nicer inside. Will see if can find a higher spec one.

What do people think of above suggestions?

Mondeo is fine. A little big vs interior a few have commented but solid.

Any entry spec car is bleak. I wouldn't entertain a basic octavia.

• Registered Users Posts: 700 ✭✭✭Cushtie

Might sound a bit odd but we used to have a Honda Civic. The boot was huge for the size of car. And there was a surprisingly large amount of legroom for the back seat passengers. We used to get a serious amount of stuff in there. It was an older 2006 model so not sure about late models but might be worth checking out. Don't go for the 1.4 petrol tho as it was a bit underpowered and liked the juice.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,315 ✭✭✭Pkiernan

Our family car is an Smax, and is absolutely ideal.

The 6th and 7th seats have been used about 5 times total in 3 years so what you really have is a large 5 seater with a huge boot and a great driving position.
    The 2nd row seats can slide and tilt like the driver seat too.

We just have the 1.6d, I'd get the 2 litre in automatic next time.

• Advertisement

An SMaz for someone with one child seems excessive

• Registered Users Posts: 4,315 ✭✭✭Pkiernan

An SMaz for someone with one child seems excessive

When I saw they looked at a Mondeo I assumed more than 1 kid

• Registered Users Posts: 3,394 ✭✭✭pah

Pkiernan wrote: »
    When I saw they looked at a Mondeo I assumed more than 1 kid

Trying for a second with an adult passenger making that trip with them on most occasions. Tight squeeze for a skinny teen between 2 full blown car seats never mind a grown man.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,105 ✭✭✭cocoman

Hi everyone, having received great advice the last time I was here I'm back looking for your collective wisdom again....

Currently drive a 2010 2litre VW Golf (which i love!) But unfortunately have outgrown. It is our main car, husband drives a jeep. I have a young baby.

Our inlaws live over 2 hours drive away. We visit approx every 4 weeks and are finding it increasingly difficult to fit everything we need for an overnight stay in to the car. (Usually have my BIL with us when we go so 3 adults and baby in car) We are currently trying for a second baby also.

Anyway, main concern is that we need a bigger boot and preferably a more spacious cabin(husband cannot sit in front seat if baby seat is behind him as he is tall and can't let seat back far enough,) this means changing the babyseat from side to side depending on which one of us is driving. This is driving us demented so we are looking to upgrade.

Wish list:
    Diesel
    Big boot
    Spacious cabin
    I dislike the look of estate type cars(i know they're practical and would solve our problem)
    15k budget

So...good boardsies.... any recommendations or will i have to get over myself and succumb to an estate?

What about roof rails and a roof box for the golf?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,355 ✭✭✭Belfast

2014 Skoda Superb 2.0 TDI CR BLACK EDITION 140PS €15,000
    https://www.carsireland.ie/detail.php?ad_id=2106534&r=s.php%3Fm%5B%5D%3D80%26o%5B%5D%3D683%26d%3D12000%26e%3D15000%26i%3D100000%26ot%3Dm%26f%3D2%26nn%3D12%26b%3D2%26t%3D1%26g%3D0

Skoda Superb 2.0TDI CR Elegance Black
    28 days 273 views Kildare Town, Kildare €14,750
    https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/skoda-superb-2-0tdi-cr-elegance-black/19465208

2012 SKODA SUPERB LAURIN & KLEMENT 2.0 TDI 170HP 4DR
    €12,950 Harford Motor Co. Ltd

Coolfore, Ashbourne A84PH93, DublinHarford Motor Co. Ltd
    THIS IS A STUNNING SKODA SUPERB 2.0TDI 170BHP LAURIN & KLEMENT EDITION , IN WINE METALLIC , WITH FULL LEATHER INTERIOR , LEATHER STEERING WHEEL , CRUISE CONTROL , ELECTRIC MEMORY HEATED SEATS , DUAL ZONE CLIMATE CONTROL AIR-CONDITIONING , PRIVACY GLASS , MULTISPOKE ALLOY WHEELS , PARKING SENSORS WITH SCREEN DISPLAY , ETC , THIS CAR HAS MASSIVE SPACE FOR REAR PASSENGERS & HAS ALSO MASSIVE BOOT SPACE , Voice activating system includes phone, Steering wheel mounted remote audio controls, Alcantara and leather seat upholstery, Centre armrest between front seats, Driver and passenger seat: individual type, heated, Leather covered multi-function steering wheel with tilt adjustment and telescopic adjustment, Front and rear electric windows with one-touch on two windows, Automatic air conditioning with two climate control zones and rear controls, Body colour power door mirrors ; heated with integrated indicator lights, Cup holders for front seats and rear seats, Front fog lights, Halogen headlights, Tinted glass, Performance: maximum speed 136 mph, 219 km/h acceleration 9.0 seconds (0-100 km/h), ABS, Electronic traction control, Brake assist system, Isofix preparation, Cruise control
    https://www.carzone.ie/used-cars/skoda/superb/used-2012-skoda-superb-laurin-k-dublin-fpa-201901033601169

if you change your mind about estates these are good too.
    2015 Skoda Superb 2.0 TDI CR SE L EXECUTIVE 190PS
    €13,785

https://www.carsireland.ie/detail.php?ad_id=2185926&r=s.php%3Fm%5B%5D%3D80%26o%5B%5D%3D683%26d%3D12000%26e%3D15000%26f%3D2%26nn%3D12%26b%3D3%26t%3D1%26g%3D0

2015 Skoda Superb 2.0 TDI CR SE L EXECUTIVE 190PS
    €13,785

https://www.carsireland.ie/detail.php?ad_id=2185926&r=s.php%3Fm%5B%5D%3D80%26o%5B%5D%3D683%26d%3D12000%26e%3D15000%26f%3D2%26nn%3D12%26b%3D3%26t%3D1%26g%3D0

Big boot in Skoda Superb
    skoda-superb-boot.jpg?itok=zb5T6ocZ

• Registered Users Posts: 8,611 ✭✭✭Mooooo

I know you said you don't like estates but I think the Audi a6 estate looks well enough. Big boot and plenty legroom. Add included as an example no nothing of this car
    https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/audi-a6-avant-s-line/20306888

• Registered Users Posts: 15,381 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

cocoman wrote: »
    What about roof rails and a roof box for the golf?

Still doesn't solve the issues where the husband can't sit in the seat in front of the child and the future likelihood of travelling with two car seats and an adult passenger squashed between them.

Thanks a million all for the suggestions. Have driven a few cars this week and a 7 seater Qashqai is winning at the moment purely because we can leave rear seats folded permanently and have a huge boot. Very patient salesman even let us try out our car seat in it and my husband was well capable of driving in a comfortable position with the baby seat behind him.

Car had just been traded in so needed a service and valet should be "showroom ready" next week. Think we will most likely go with it but will check out a few more options this weekend just to be sure.

Overview of Qashqai
    2012 Car, has 120k kms
    Full service history from garage where we are buying it (nissan dealer)
    Will be fully serviced, timing belt done and 4 new tyres also brake pads will be done
    Charging us 6000euro along with our trade in

Will update with what we do

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,007 ✭✭✭s7ryf3925pivug

pah wrote: »
    https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/ford-s-max-2-0-tdci-titanium-140ps-7-seats-high-s/20142493

Ford Smax. This will solve your current problem and future proof you in the event of successful baby making.

With the middle row pushed back you could put the car seat behind either front seat and not need to swap around when changing driver. The boot will be monstrous with the rear 2 seats down.

BIl will be comfortable in the future seated alongside 2 car seats in a full sized seat of his own.
    yeah this or a cmax. We have a cmax and it's great. only car we found that fit uppababy frame sideways and lb sized dog in boot except for an enormous citroen in which my wife couldn't reach pedals. We have 2l automatic turbo diesel version. Very nice car to drive, very smooth ride.

• Advertisement

Again thanks everyone for all of the contributions. So after driving countless cars and looking in to more boots than I care to remember...We've made a decision! And we have underspent on our budget. Came up to a 2012 and spent 5,500 euro along with out tradein.

We've gone with a Nissan Quashqui +2, seems madness to buy a 7 seater with one child but the size of the boot with the two back seats down clinched it for us. Nothing else came close.

Intention is to hopefully be able to afford an xtrail in 2-3 years time. (Still going to miss my golf :-( )

Advertisement