Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wrestle Kingdom 13/New Years Dash Live Thread (Spoilers included)

Options
  • 03-01-2019 7:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 48,990 ✭✭✭✭

?u=https%3A%2F%2Fcdn.sescoops.com%2Fwp-content%2Fuploads%2F2018%2F11%2Fwrestlekingdom-13.jpg&f=1

First big wrestling show of 2019; with 10 matches over 4 hours; along with the fallout from the Dome the morning after.

Matches are below.

NUMBER ONE CONTENDER GAUNTLET MATCH FOR THE NEVER OPENWEIGHT SIX-MAN TAG TEAM CHAMPIONSHIP (PRE-SHOW)
    Hirooki Goto, Beretta, & Chuckie T vs. Minoru Suzuki, Lance Archer, & Davey Boy Smith Jr. vs. Ryusuke Taguchi, Togi Makabe, & Toru Yano vs. Yuji Nagata, Jeff Cobb, & David Finlay vs. Marty Scurll, Hangman Page, & Yujiro Takahashi

NEVER OPENWEIGHT CHAMPIONSHIP
    Kota Ibushi (c) vs. Will Ospreay

IWGP US CHAMPIONSHIP
    Cody Rhodes (c) vs. Juice Robinson

SINGLES MATCH
    Kazuchika Okada vs. Jay White

IWGP TAG TEAM CHAMPIONSHIP
    Tama Tonga and Tanga Loa (c) vs. EVIL and SANADA vs. The Young Bucks

IWGP JR. HEAVYWEIGHT CHAMPIONSHIP
    KUSHIDA (c) vs. Taiji Ishimori

IWGP JR. HEAVYWEIGHT TAG TEAM CHAMPIONSHIP
    Yoshinobu Kanemaru and El Desperado (c) vs. Roppongi 3K vs. BUSHI and Shingo Takagi

REVPRO BRITISH HEAVYWEIGHT CHAMPIONSHIP
    Tomohiro Ishii (c) vs. Zack Sabre Jr.

IWGP INTERCONTINENTAL CHAMPIONSHIP (NO DQ MATCH)
    Chris Jericho (c) vs. Tetsuya Naito

IWGP HEAVYWEIGHT CHAMPIONSHIP
    Kenny Omega (c) vs. Hiroshi Tanahashi

Starts at 7 am Irish time with the pre-show, main show itself starts at 8, New Years Dash live then on Saturday morning, streaming for free on NJPWWorld.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,689 ✭✭✭sky88

Will many people be watching it live I'm sick so fall into a perfect time for.

So fired up for osprey/ibushi thats my main event. While okad/tana been a poor build up storyline i know theyll it out of the park.

Few matches ive no intrest in okada/white i just really dont like jay white at all since he's been switchblade. Wasnt intrested in jericho/naito but the no dq should be able to hide jerichos deficiencies if kept short.

• Registered Users Posts: 48,990 ✭✭✭✭Lithium93_

I'm travelling tomorrow morning, so I'm gonna it watch it at later, so will be avoiding spoilers as best I can.

• Registered Users Posts: 242 ✭✭Ali Bomaye

I'm going to wait until tomorrow night to watch it. Absolutely incredible card on paper. Hyped up for just about everything apart from the tags.
    Yeah the build for the main event has kind of sucked but I'm so emotionally invested in wanting Tanahashi to win now and to just end Omega's title reign.

I thought the angle at the contract signing for Naito Jericho was excellent. I'm into the story that Naito will have to stop being Tranquilo, get violent and just beat this man in a fight.

Okada and White is the best built match with a ton of heat on it. It's also the match that probably isn't getting talked about a lot in terms of how great it could turn out to be, and White really needs a great match here considering his match with Tanahashi last year was a let down.

Ibushi and Ospreay are probably my two favourite wrestlers to watch right now so I hope they get plenty of time and kill it. If this is anything other than a blow away MOTYC it's going to put me on such a downer right at the start of the show.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,790 ✭✭✭Sirsok

Ok officially signed up tonight, seen a bit of Wrestle Kingdom last year, as Omega v Okada hyoe from year previous got me interested, and then Jericho was involved. Havent seen anything other them bits and pieces, but grown fairly tired of Wwe, not even reading the results of stuff nowadays so hopefully this cam grab my attention and keep it!

• Registered Users Posts: 894 ✭✭✭cian68

NJ World completely sh*tting the bed for me so far

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

cian68 wrote: »
    NJ World completely sh*tting the bed for me so far

You are not alone. Server is taking a pasting at the worst possible moment very pissed right now. :mad:

Can i watch this on demand? Now?

Edit *** just rewind the live stream ha duh

Sirsok wrote: »
    Can i watch this on demand? Now?

Edit *** just rewind the live stream ha duh

Avoid Cody vs Juice. The only ones who cared less than Cody were the audience.

Hasn't been a good morning for the
    defending champions
    7 Championship matches, 7 Championships changing hands

• Registered Users Posts: 16,709 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

If Ace loses I riot

• Advertisement

It's been a good back and forth between Omega & Tanahashi, halfway point to the 60 minutes surely?

ACE FOREVER

AIR GUITARING OUT OF WRESTLE KINGDOM

Has a
    clean sweep of championship changes
    ever happened in New Japan?

• Registered Users Posts: 894 ✭✭✭cian68

That main event ruled

WK 14 & New Years Dash will both be taking place in the Tokyo Dome in 2020.

Enjoyable show overall. First the negatives; I missed the entire Ibushi vs Ospreay match so went back to rewatch it due to server errors. A few outcomes were very predictable due to doubts over the participants futures (The Elite, KUSHIDA in particular). Cody vs Juice was a TV match & should not have even been on the show. I felt bad for Robinson afterwards, if that were a Suzuki or Goto in there with him he'd have been fine.
    The rest of the show was pretty good. 3 way Jr. tag was real short and ended just as it got going. KUSHIDA vs Ishimori wasn't as good as their BOSJ match.
    Ishii vs ZSJ was great. Sabre is just outstanding at what he does. 3 way tag match was great, Sanada looked fantastic & the Bucks sure didn't phone it in. Bonus for setting up a match between Evil and the seamstress who made his robe. :pac:
    Jay White sure as hell delivered when the cards were down, still feel he'd work better as a face. Okada was great as expected.
    Jericho vs Naito was really enjoyable. May not be the popular opinion but I've loved Jericho's run. Don't think the match needed to be for the IC title which brings me to Ibushi vs Ospreay. Arguable to have it as an opener (in a million years I wouldn't have). They worked a style that didn't go completely all out given its place in the card that was correct but it still was very good. Not sure if Ibushi was hurt (his selling is that good). Main event I'm still chewing over. They both tried to work one another's style and it was pretty strong at times.
    A lot of questions after the event ends but won't have long to wait to see the answer.

Had server issues as well so gave up watching it live.

Osprey/ibushi kinda felt they were holding something back maybe my expectations were too much but still very good match

Tana/omega was match of the night for me thought it was fantastic. Definitely seemed like it was a man on his way out of the company for omega. Tana is by far my favourite Japanese wrestler ever.

Naito/Jericho I have been one of those who hasn't enjoyed Jericho since the last wrestlekingdom but they put on a really enjoyable match. I hope if Jericho is going to stay in the ring he gets himself in better shape.

The rest of the card I thought was solid really good show with cody/juice the only bad match.

Not as spectacular as the last 2 wrestlekingdoms but still very good show overall . I think were new Japan goes in the next year will be really interesting

Osprey v Ibushi was great, but both guys have had better matches. If it were a more high profile match further up the card I've no doubt that we would have gotten a 5* classic. But for a curtain jerker it was excellent.

Omega's titantron video was custom made gameplay from the Undertale videogame. Then he came out dressed as Sephiroth. Man is a grade A geek and I love it.

Clegg wrote: »
    Osprey v Ibushi was great, but both guys have had better matches. If it were a more high profile match further up the card I've no doubt that we would have gotten a 5* classic. But for a curtain jerker it was excellent.

Omega's titantron video was custom made gameplay from the Undertale videotale. Then he came out dressed as Sephiroth. Man is a grade a geek and I love it.

Just seen ibushi has a concussion may explain why it didn't reach the upper echolan of matches everyone expected

Cody vs Juice had no no right being on the card. It was garbage in comparison with anything else on the card. I admire Cody's smarts as he's leveraged a tremendous career for himself. But as for the actual wrestling part he's thoroughly mediocre. Just not a fan of the whole Bullet Club/Elite thing.

I feel for Juice in all this. Six months ago he was one of the hottest midcarders in New Japan yet the title was put on Cody who proceeded to do nothing with it. He won it back today to a tepid fan reaction.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,104 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

The most interesting thing about Cody is Brandi.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,808 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

sky88 wrote: »
    Just seen ibushi has a concussion may explain why it didn't reach the upper echolan of matches everyone expected

I wonder if that was due to the kicks when he was hung up. Seems to be when he busted his nose.

CastorTroy wrote: »
    I wonder if that was due to the kicks when he was hung up. Seems to be when he busted his nose.

Well everyone seems to be pointing to this didn't notice at the time but ibushi looks out of it

https://twitter.com/wrestlemaniacos/status/1081308567989297152?s=19

• Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭redmosquito85

Landed in Tokyo yesterday as the first part of our honeymoon and once we had time we decided to go up to the Dome and catch the show.

Missed first few matches but can vouch for the complete lack of interest by the crowd in Juice/Cody.(ive never seen longer toilet queues anywhere than during this, except queues moved exceptionally quick!)

My better half is not a wrestling person at all so only knew Chris Jericho before the show but we both really enjoyed him and Naito and we both really enjoyed Omega/Tana.

Crowds loudest cheers I would say were for Okada, again a match I enjoyed.

For a somewhat lapsed wrestling fan who had been keeping one eye occasionally on the build up, I am delighted to have been there. Huge crowd that I would say was up on last year, bottom part of stadium was pretty much full for the sections that were sold and the upper tier was I would say 90% or more full.

sky88 wrote: »
    Well everyone seems to be pointing to this didn't notice at the time but ibushi looks out of it

https://twitter.com/wrestlemaniacos/status/1081308567989297152?s=19

Caught it straight away, the thud of it alone and the match ending, i thought wasnt right, but then started to second guess myself, and thought if it was a work it was genius. Really good match.

I guess as my first full wrestlekingdom it was great, but id imagine if i knew the history and significance of each character i would of enjoyed it a bit more. Jericho was my favourite match, but that could be because i feel like i know Jericho since WCW.

Its great to see wrestling without the silliness and corporate feel that WWE has, every match felt like a contest, with no fear of screwy finishes, twas refreshing.

Tanahasi and omega flew by, great match

For some reason the Shingo guy really stood out to me as a character i could get behind.

G.O.D seemed quite the odd ones out with the likes of evil, sanada and the bucks.

Disappointed Suzuki was only in the gauntlet match, seen his match with ishi last year and thought he was captivating. Thought Jeff Cobb looked great in this. Finley not so much!

Okada v Jay White was grand, prob would of helped if i knew more about chaos allegiance and Okadas run at the top with Gedo.

Not a fan of ZSJ style to be honest, certainly is a change of pace in this hybrid world of wrestling we live in

Have NJPW world for rest of the month anything people would suggest to watch? To get me up to speed.

A few matches in and the biggest angle so far was Owens and Yujiro rejoining the club. Taichi vs Naito has just been set up too. Can't say I'm excited about either.
    Main event is Tanahashi, Okada & Yoshi Hashi vs White, Fale & Gedo
    :/

Well that was uneventful

Flat enough show. Setup Jay White vs Tanahashi. Tana barely worked the main event & looked Kobashi level stiff walking.
    Still no Cody match, thank god or any sign of The Elite.
    Can't say Ishii vs Nagata, Naito vs Taichi and White vs Tanahashi inspire me that much.

ERG89 wrote: »
    Flat enough show. Setup Jay White vs Tanahashi. Tana barely worked the main event & looked Kobashi level stiff walking.
    Still no Cody match, thank god or any sign of The Elite.
    Can't say Ishii vs Nagata, Naito vs Taichi and White vs Tanahashi inspire me that much.

I really hope that's not the msg show matches

• Advertisement

sky88 wrote:
    I really hope that's not the msg show matches

New Beginning next month, most likely.
    Maybe the winner of the New Japan Cup will get the match in the Garden but I assume they'll want to announce it on more than 2 weeks notice.

Advertisement