Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Your favourite vegetarian recipes

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

I also made a batch of the Jamie Oliver veg chilli last night. Halved the ingredients and it still made loads. It’s absolutely gorgeous and a great alternative to the regular meat version.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,104 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Damn I must try that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,411 ✭✭✭✭woodchuck

I had to try the chilli con veggie after all the hype on here :P

It was good... for a vegetarian dish. I'm a total carnivore, so I'm afraid I'm tempted to try it again replacing the lentils with mince :/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,775 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

Anyone got any good quinoa recipes? I've never cooked it before. Would be looking for something to use for lunches so something that would last a few days so probably not salad type stuff.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,453 ✭✭✭Shenshen

keane2097 wrote: »
    Anyone got any good quinoa recipes? I've never cooked it before. Would be looking for something to use for lunches so something that would last a few days so probably not salad type stuff.

Thug Kitchen have a really nice taco filling recipe in their 101 cookbook, but unfortunately it's not on their official website.

The best I can offer is someone's picture of it on pinterest. I'd definitely recommend it, very very yummy.

• Registered Users Posts: 211 ✭✭Johnnycanyon

Just made a thread about a Jamie Oliver vegan show that was on tonight, made some class looking food, that lasagne! https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057943179

Looks delicious, thanks for sharing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,608 ✭✭✭worded

Moroccan Spiced Vegetables Quinoa Pilaf

Ingredients
    200g (7 oz) quinoa, rinsed
    650 ml (22 fl oz) vegetable stock
    2 tbsp olive oil
    1 medium onion, finely chopped
    2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
    2 cm (3/4 in) piece root ginger, finely grated
    2 red chillies, deseeded and finely chopped
    4 tsp cumin seeds
    1 tsp turmeric
    1 carrot, peeled and thinly sliced
    1 parsnip, peeled and thinly slices
    250g (9 oz) cooked chickpeas or 400g (14 oz) tin chickpeas/kidney beans or cooked bean of preference
    50g (2 oz) green beans
    1 medium head broccoli
    400g (14oz) baby spinach
    1 tbsp sesame seeds, toasted
    Handful fresh coriander, chopped

1) Toast the quinoa in a dry pan for 5 minutes, until the grain starts to pop (like popcorn) and gives off of a smokey aroma
    2)Once done, add the stock, bring to the boil and simmer for 15 minutes
    3)Meanwhile, heat the oil and sauté the onion over a low heat for 5 minutes, until softened Stir in the garlic, ginger, chillies, cumin and turmeric and sauté for a further 2-3 minutes
    5)Add the carrot and parsnip and combine well.
    6)Cover and allow to sweat for 7-10 minutes over a medium heat until the vegetables are cooked
    7)If sticking, add 1-2 tablespoons of water.
    8)Add the chickpeas or kidney beans and combine well. Add the vegetable mix to the cooked quinoa.
    9)Blanch the green beans and broccoli and add to the quinoa.
    10) Add spinach and combine well- this will wilt in the heat of the quinoa.
    11)Season to taste and serve garnished with the toasted sesame seeds and freshly chopped coriander.
    Serves 6

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,608 ✭✭✭worded

Moroccan Chickpea Tagine with Herb Couscous

Ingredients

1 tbsp sunflower oil or olive oil
    1 large Spanish onion. Finely chopped
    2 garlic cloves
    1 tbsp chopped ginger
    1 teasp turmeric
    1 teasp sea salt
    ½ teasp black pepper and cayenne, combined
    2 cinnemon sticks in 1″ lengths
    1 tbsp tomato puree
    3 medium carrots, in batons
    ½ butternut squash, peeled and cubed
    400g ti n chopped tomatoes
    350ml/12oz water
    125g/4oz chopped dates
    125g/4oz dried apricots
    400g/24oz tinned chickpeas
    1 tbsp chopped coriander, finely chopped
    For the couscous
    175g/ 6oz couscous
    275ml/10-12fl.oz. boiling water
    ½ red onion, very finely chopped
    1 garlic clove, finely chopped
    2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
    1 tbsp lemon juice
    25g/ 1oz fresh parsley
    25g/1oz fresh basil, chopped
    25g/1oz fresh mint chopped

Method

1)To make the couscous, place the couscous in a bowl and pour over with boiling water. Cover and allow to rest for 30 minutes
    Fluff with a fork and add the garlic, onion oil, lemon juice and herbs.
    2) Heat the oil in a large pan . Add the onion, garlic and spices and saute gently until the onions are tender, stirring occasionally.
    Add the tomato puree and cook for another minute.
    Add the carrots and squash and mix, add tomatoes and water, bring to the boil , cover, and simmer for 20 minutes
    3) Add the dates and apricots and chickpeas and cook uncovered for 15 minutes, until the fruit has softened and the liquid has reduced to give a thick sauce. Remove from the heat and add the fresh coriander. Taste and season as needed. Serve with the couscous.
    Serves 4-6

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Knowing my food is probably too simple for tastes here.. I cannot cook elaborate things that take a long while so find my way round that.

A favourite non meat meal these days is a simple baked potato; while it is in the microwave, I grate apple, peel and all. cheese, or add cottage cheese, and grate carrot.

Add butter and salt to the potato and eat together.

off to do just that now,;)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,104 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Jamie oliver has a vegetarian cooking show currently, food looks class. https://www.channel4.com/programmes/jamies-meat-free-meals
    recipes here https://www.jamieoliver.com/recipes/category/books/jamies-meat-free-meals/

Advertisement