Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rugby leagues

Options
  • 01-01-2019 11:59am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,261 ✭✭✭

Every major club rugby league at the moment seems to have a large minority/majority of fans unhappy on how the league is structured. Super rugby’s complicated conferences, pro 14 having to many uncompetitive teams, the premiership and top 14s promotion and relegation.

Personally I believe the optimal solution while not popular with a lot of people would be to change the pro 14 to a larger competition comprising of the teams that exist currently and the remaining SA super rugby sides, super rugby to focus on nz, Australia, Japan and the pacific islands and the mls in America to incorporate teams from South America too. This would allow all home and away games to be seen at reasonable hours for all fans and would minimize travel as much as is possible, as for the premiership and top 14 I’m not really familiar enough with to suggest improvements.

Anyone else have some bright ideas?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,199 ✭✭✭troyzer

Every major club rugby league at the moment seems to have a large minority/majority of fans unhappy on how the league is structured. Super rugby’s complicated conferences, pro 14 having to many uncompetitive teams, the premiership and top 14s promotion and relegation.

Personally I believe the optimal solution while not popular with a lot of people would be to change the pro 14 to a larger competition comprising of the teams that exist currently and the remaining SA super rugby sides, super rugby to focus on nz, Australia, Japan and the pacific islands and the mls in America to incorporate teams from South America too. This would allow all home and away games to be seen at reasonable hours for all fans and would minimize travel as much as is possible, as for the premiership and top 14 I’m not really familiar enough with to suggest improvements.

Anyone else have some bright ideas?

Super Rugby can't survive without South Africa. They're the only media market worth a ****. A Pacific islands team is financially unviable without a sugar daddy.

MLR has only just started. It's nowhere near financially viable to start talking about South American teams.

A larger Pro14 might work but you have to be careful because Super Rugby learned the hard way that you can grow too quickly.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,296 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

A European league based on the 3 pro leagues could work, enough teams for 3/4 pro divisions.
    Too many vested interests though so would have no chance of happening.

Advertisement