Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

NFL Wildcard Weekend

• 31-12-2018 12:20pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,183 ✭✭✭✭paulie21

Saturday 9.35pm

Colts @ Texans

Saturday Night 1.15am

Seahawks @ Cowboys

Sunday 6pm

Chargers @ Ravens

Sunday 9.40pm

Eagles @ Bears

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,969 ✭✭✭✭alchemist33

Damn, the game I want to watch is the one that's on too late. Extended highlights for me then

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭Always Be Closing

Chiefs in the WC to go one and do.........

Oh wait

Can’t be one and done if you win the AFC and ain’t a WC :D

#chiefskingdom

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,448 ✭✭✭evil_seed

Chiefs in the WC to go one and do.........

Oh wait

Can’t be one and done if you win the AFC and ain’t a WC :D

#chiefskingdom

there's always next weekend. One and done isn't only referential to WC weekend

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

Texans, Cowboys and Bears should win. I've no idea between the Chargers and the Ravens, though with a gun to my head I'd lean towards LAC.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,232 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

paulie21 wrote: »
    Saturday 9.35pm

Colts @ Texans

Saturday Night 1.15am

Seahawks @ Cowboys

Sunday 6pm

Ravens

Sunday 9.40pm

Eagles @ Bears

Predicting 3 home wins and one road win.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

Colts and 3 home wins for me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭Always Be Closing

I've backed the 4 home teams in a 9/1 Four Fold

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,377 ✭✭✭Warper

Id go for the home wins bar the Cowboys, that one is too close to call imo

Best bet imo are the Texans

• Registered Users Posts: 2,972 ✭✭✭mikemac2

Texans
    Seahawks
    Ravens
    Bears

Seahawks my only road team pick

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,778 ✭✭✭Big Pussy Bonpensiero

Can't see the Eagles winning at Chicago, Bears are a serious dark horse to win it all.
    Haven't seen enough of the Colts to judge that game but the Texans look very beatable. Going for the Colts who have been described by many as a dark horse also. They went 9-1 after going 1-5 :eek:
    Cowboys look very solid defensively so would give them a slight edge being at home.
    LAC vs Ravens is a toss up, especially at B'more. Would have to edge towards LAC in that one however.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,156 ✭✭✭✭Foxtrol

Colts - match up well against Texans.
    Cowboys - Seahawks are complete different team without home field advantage
    Chargers - tied best record in the AFC but getting little love and potentially play better on the road.
    Bears - another team that is much better at home.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

Foxtrol wrote: »
    Chargers - tied best record in the AFC but getting little love and potentially play better on the road.

I'm sure they're used to it at this stage but it's 10am their time when the Chargers are playing their game. Are there stats for west coast teams playing at 1pm ET? Does it affect them at all?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,342 ✭✭✭gstack166

I've backed the 4 home teams in a 9/1 Four Fold

Great price!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,342 ✭✭✭gstack166

I'm sure they're used to it at this stage but it's 10am their time when the Chargers are playing their game. Are there stats for west coast teams playing at 1pm ET? Does it affect them at all?

Probably find them alright, wouldn’t know where though. I’d presume the Chargers I’d not already, will be in Baltimore by Thursday evening. Shouldn’t be much of a problem.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,778 ✭✭✭Big Pussy Bonpensiero

Someone on reddit did a big write-up on this. The short answer is no.

West Coast teams (including Denver and Arizona) playing at 1pm or earlier (their time) have won 33% of road playoff games. The average winning percentage of non-west-coast road teams in the playoffs is 31%, so they actually fare marginally better. Can't link as I'm on the phone.

Looking at the Chargers schedule for this year they played 2 games at 1pm on the East Coast and won both, however they were against the early season Browns and Bills so not difficult games. Last year they were 2-2, beating the Jets and Giants but losing to the Patriots and Jags.

Don't know if there is a full analysis done for a full season but as a 49ers fan I know it comes up regularly as having a negative impact. There is a definite drop in performances in those games during mid season but being so terrible the last few years makes it hard to properly gauge it.

I think with a team fully focused in a playoff game on a full week it probably isn't a huge deal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

Texans, Cowboys and Bears should win. I've no idea between the Chargers and the Ravens, though with a gun to my head I'd lean towards LAC.

Chargers should win, but I expect them to choke. Perhaps unfair, but that's my hunch.

Would love to see them progress though. Will be a fascinating game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,049 ✭✭✭Ohmeha

All 4 match-ups looking like good ones this weekend, hard to call each of them I'll go for wins for

Texans
    Seahawks
    Ravens
    Bears

• Registered Users Posts: 2,972 ✭✭✭mikemac2

Knex. wrote: »
    Chargers should win, but I expect them to choke. Perhaps unfair, but that's my hunch.

Would love to see them progress though. Will be a fascinating game.

Depends if the Ravens can defend the run and they are usually superb at it with an excellent D line and linebacking corps

Ravens are all about the running game, great defence & special teams and time of possesion

If the Chargers can shut down 1st down & 2nd down rushing attempts then Lamar Jackson and a passing offense cannot win this game. Maybe one day Jackson will get there but as a Ravens fan I'm not confident in Jackson passing 35 plus attempts a game and getting a W. He cannot do it

• Registered Users Posts: 1,644 ✭✭✭D9Male

Four excellent games. It's fun, isn't it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

mikemac2 wrote: »
    Depends if the Ravens can defend the run and they are usually superb at it with an excellent D line and linebacking corps

Ravens are all about the running game, great defence & special teams and time of possesion

If the Chargers can shut down 1st down & 2nd down rushing attempts then Lamar Jackson and a passing offense cannot win this game. Maybe one day Jackson will get there but as a Ravens fan I'm not confident in Jackson passing 35 plus attempts a game and getting a W. He cannot do it

Yeah, this.

I agree completely.

To be honest I'm surprised at the amount of analysts and experts tipping the Ravens to win this one. I thought opinion would be much more split than it seems to be. A true coin toss game IMO.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,040 ✭✭✭McG

Colts
    Cowboys
    Chargers - this is the toughest call for me.
    Bears - easiest call

• Registered Users Posts: 177 ✭✭Frankie Cortese

First year on a good while I go into the wildcard week & cant see any blowouts. Normally you’ll always see one standing out.

Maybe the Bears beating the Eagles is the only game you’d have confidence predicting & having said that, I still wouldn’t be surprised if the Eagles turned them over.

Looking forward to a great weekend of Football.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,380 ✭✭✭The Reservoir Dubs Anchorman

Its a good weekend slate of games. I think you can make an argument for all the teams in each game.

Colts have been solid and will give Houston a game this one may come down to the ability of Houston's D stopping Luck.

Ravens and Chargers could be an epic encounter. I personally couldn't call it at the minute.

Eagles and Bears, I fancy the Eagles. Don't know why just have a feeling they come up big here.

Seahawks and Dallas - I just don't think Prescott is good enough, fancy the Seahawks to give Dallas a right go here, probably will come down to who has the last possession?

At a push - Houston, Chargers, Eagles and Seahawks

• Registered Users Posts: 394 ✭✭rebelyell99

Id go with colts , dallas , baltimore and i fancy chicago to deal with philly quite easily tbh

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,365 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

I'm going to go for the
    colts,
    seahawks- I have doubts about the cowboys
    chargers- I mean yes they are on the road but they've be playing in hostile environments even at their "home" stadium, and rivers is a better QB than jackson
    Eagles- yes, I know sure look at the eagles fan picking the eagles when the bears are the better team on paper but the Eagles were underdogs last year even with being the No1 seed. And nick foles does something for this team.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,347 ✭✭✭conor222

Im going with
    Colts - The texans are banged up, loss of Thomas will impact their offence. Colts O-line have been playing well and Luck has been great. Should be an exciting game though

Seahawks - I'm still not convinced on the Cowboys, Cooper has cooled down a bit. Cowboys LB core is key to this game but see the hawks edging it

Chargers - I think Baltimore may be the scarier team but If LAC can get up a score or so, I find it hard to see the ravens getting back into the game. All it needs is a ST play or the likes. Very close to call, could see it wither way but edging chargers in this one.

Bears - Should be a fun game to watch but think the class of the Chicago defense will win out here

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,930 ✭✭✭Paleface

Colts
    Seahawks
    Chargers
    Bears

I think apart from the Bears the other 3 division winners are not that great and will be found out.

Who have the Ravens beaten of note all season with Jackson playing apart from recently beating the Chargers? The Steelers should have walked that division but self imploded. I doubt the Chargers will let themselves be beaten by this team again.

The Texans just barely hung on to win their division after a late surge by the Colts who have the form QB in Luck.

The Cowboys are strong at home but I expect Seattle to show up when it matters as they have done for the last two months. If only for a close loss to the 49ers on the road they'd be going into this game on a 7 win running streak.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,085 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

Saturday 9.35pm

Colts @ Texans

Saturday Night 1.15am

Seahawks @ Cowboys

Sunday 6pm

Chargers @ Ravens

Sunday 9.40pm

Eagles @ Bears

Just got some feels...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 292 ✭✭Interesting101

Colts
    Hawks
    Ravens
    Bears

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,977 ✭✭✭TheDoctor

Colts
    Cowboys
    Ravens
    Bears

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,966 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Texans
    Seahawks
    Chargers
    Bears

Chargers do a decent hype video (the revenge 2nd one)

https://twitter.com/Chargers/status/1081612614512373761

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,150 ✭✭✭✭LuckyGent88

Texans
    Seahawks
    Chargers
    Eagles

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,966 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Foxtrol wrote:
    Chargers do a decent hype video (the revenge 2nd one)
    Seen that game and it was a defensive masterclass by the Ravens that night. That offense is too good though not to have learned from what happened and I expect the Chargers to win.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 38 Mikedrop

All road teams to win is around 33/1, bet of the weekend...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,546 ✭✭✭Masked Man

Is that Derwin James in the huddle during the hype video?

Think he's becoming one of my favourite players in the league.

Very excited for this game and the two tomorrow. Seahawks Cowboys not so much, but I still expect it to be close.

Really hoping Luck puts on a performance. He deserves it after his past few years.

Ugh, forgot the first game is the ESPN crew...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,296 ✭✭✭coco0981

Reaching the playoffs is as much as anyone could have hoped for at the start of the year, think we've a decent chance tonight. Run the ball week enough to control the game and not put our defense on the pitch for too long. Would like to see Carson have a good game tonight again, he's been great all season and would be nice for him to show it again

Go Hawks!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,977 ✭✭✭TheDoctor

Right let’s have some playoff football!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,702 ✭✭✭MileHighGuy

Foxtrol wrote: »
    Ugh, forgot the first game is the ESPN crew...

Just walked in....first thing I heard .... Booger....thought, ah jaysus, ESPN.

What a start

Think the Colts will take this over the Texans. Luck has been so impressive this year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,638 ✭✭✭phatkev

Colts made that look easy!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,172 ✭✭✭✭kmart6

Nice first drive. Some throw by Luck for TY, who looks healthier than last week.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,773 ✭✭✭Mr. Guappa

Texans didn't do much wrong on that drive

kmart6 wrote: »
    Nice first drive. Some throw by Luck for TY, who looks healthier than last week.

Yeah, they criticize the matchup, but the linebacker was right there. Great throw and catch.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,599 ✭✭✭ScrubsfanChris

Those ESPN animations are something else........

• Registered Users Posts: 3,151 ✭✭✭letowski

That settled my nerves. Ridicolous that after all these years, the Texans still haven't a clue how to cover TY.

• Advertisement
Advertisement