Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Brexit ferry contract awarded to company with no ships

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,754 ✭✭✭✭expectationlost

They seemingly want to operate from Ramsgate

Ramsgate doesn’t have the infrastructure and even the local Tory Council are querying what due diligence has been done prior to awarding the contract
    it does have the infrastructure, ferries ran their before, its just trying to lessen any queues at dover...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,105 ✭✭✭katiek102010

Ramsgate doesn’t have the appropriate infrastructure.

I used to live near there until 6 months ago. I also used to work for the council there.

There is no physical way possible for the slips there to take a passenger ferry. They can’t really cope with cattle and stopped those operations a few years ago.

They have ports along the Thames estuary and even Chatham would have a better chance with the infrastructure than ramsgate

https://www.kentlive.news/news/kent-news/concern-over-138m-no-deal-2375730

• Registered Users Posts: 18,071 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

it does have the infrastructure, ferries ran their before, its just trying to lessen any queues at dover...

It doesn't have the infrastructure required of a modern port and has not had a ferry service since 2013. No customs infrastructure either that will be absolutely required come 30th March.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 14,910 Mod ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

If the ferries they plan to use are the narrow passenger type (which are unsuitable for freight), then yes, they have the infrastructure (and by infrastructure I mean the ability to dock the ships, not including the customs arrangements that’ll need to be put in place). Otherwise Ramsgate is not suitable for the larger freight carrying ships, and extensive upgrades will be required.

They have less than 90 days.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,462 ✭✭✭✭WoollyRedHat

prinzeugen wrote: »
    Non story. Its just more of the usual crap that RTE have come out with about Brexit.

You dont have to own a boat to operate a ferry. Just like you dont need to own a plane to operate an airline.

When Virgin Atlantic started all their aircraft were leased.

There are hundreds if not thousands of ships sitting idle at sea "awaiting orders" (work). Take the Russian cargo ship that ran aground in Cornwall a few weeks back. It was sitting there on the of chance someone would charter it.

Ramsgate does have the infrastructure as most old ports on the south coast do. What condition its in is anybody's guess. Plenty of it was kept on a "care and maintenance" basis by the military until about 1990.

Except the company in question have never chartered/ran a Channel service before.

Also the company is chaired by Mark Bamford, the brother of Anthony Bamford, who is a big donor to the Tory party, has attended many the private dinner with May before and is a staunch advocate for a hard Brexit. Indeed he is of the opinion that a no-deal is no big deal. But I'm sure that's all coincidental right.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭MarkHenderson

More anti Brexit spin.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,462 ✭✭✭✭WoollyRedHat

More anti Brexit spin.

The company in question has no assets, no accounts on record and yet has been given a 14m contract, thoughts on that?

namloc1980 wrote: »
    It doesn't have the infrastructure required of a modern port and has not had a ferry service since 2013. No customs infrastructure either that will be absolutely required come 30th March.
    if it had ferries in2013 that it has the infrastructure of modern port

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 14,910 Mod ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

Waterford airport had commercial flights in 2013, so by your reckoning they can handle a fully loaded 747-800 freighter?

Also in 2013 there would have been no requirement for large scale customs infrastructure. That will no longer be the case from March 30th onwards.

You do realise ships come in all different shapes and sizes?

It can take small ferries as of 2013. Not the larger freight ferries that it needs to accommodate in a post Brexit world. Added to that no infrastructure and limited space for full on customs checks and this whole thing stinks. Not to mention the company has assets totalling £66, the UK government bypassed proper EU procurement process and it's all a bit of a clusterfrick.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,723 ✭✭✭nice_guy80

You'd wonder what links the company has to Tory members

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,764 ✭✭✭my3cents

... the UK government bypassed proper EU procurement process a....

Hmmmm Brexit?

This is only a relatively small operation which the government is helping to get off the ground.

Contracts have also been signed with DFDS and Brittany Ferries to increase capacity by 50% on existing routes. These are worth over 40m each, far bigger than the 14m to get ferries running from Ramsgate again.

my3cents wrote: »
    Hmmmm Brexit?

They're still in the EU.

They're still in the EU.

But who is going to follow up on any current breaches of their rules by the UK?

The UK still has to follow the rules and is still subject to the ECJ.

If you are convinced there has been a breach of the rendering rules, you can check up. It should all be there on the OJEU.

The European Commission to the ECJ. I believe the UK invoked a clause where procurement can be done "differently" where there are unforeseen circumstances. How they can claim Brexit is unforeseen is another question when it's UK policy since the referendum to have a Brexit.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,978 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

Hmmmm Brexit?

Brexit has not happened and the UK is still an EU member

Ben Sharp has been the Managing Director of Mercador International since 2005. He's the guy leading the new company by the looks of it.

If you want to guage the tendering, start there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

If an organized Brexit happens I hope they remember to not send out the cheques.

• Advertisement

It can take small ferries as of 2013. Not the larger freight ferries that it needs to accommodate in a post Brexit world.
    it will accommodate what it can accommodate

• Site Banned Posts: 1,253 ✭✭✭sk8erboii

In this thread: People who have no idea how businesses work becoming outraged at clickbait headlines

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,746 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

i actually think this story is really overblown, first thing on the BBC 10 news?, so a port with no current ferries might be getting a service set up by experienced ferry operators who are setting a company up to do a specific job. so ....
    Not to mention it breaks EU subsidy rules.

But the UK are trying to use every loophole in the book on this one.
    Like Calling Hard Brexit extreme emergency / unforeseen circumstances when they have a deal on the table and can call off the whole thing any time they want.

Small business so exempt from something or other
    https://twitter.com/faisalislam/status/1079158533193637888

And the Danes want payment in Euros :p

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,746 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

https://www.bbc.com/news/business-46714984
    The firm said it had originally intended to start the service in mid-February but this had now been delayed until late March for operational reasons.
    Late March ? *sniggers*
    He said dredging in Ramsgate Port would start on 4 January in preparation for the freight service.
    OK , lets' see.

Still not sure where they will hire ferries from.

As I was going to point out for a non story the BBC were very quick to pick up on it.

As I was going to point out for a non story the BBC were very quick to pick up on it.

The press always look for a story like this over the Christmas period, because they know the relevant press offices will be on holiday and the story will have a few days to run before someone can quash it.

And the Danes want payment in Euros :p

As this is most likely with the DFDS French operation, a contract in the vendor’s local currency would be the norm.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,024 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

They have faced far worse and survived,

• Registered Users Posts: 14,822 ✭✭✭✭First Up

They have faced far worse and survived,

So is survival now the height of the Brexit ambition?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 43,024 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

First Up wrote: »
    So is survival now the height of the Brexit ambition?

In the very short term yes

Berlin never makes things easy

Advertisement