Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BE Services to Go-Ahead and Resulting Fleet Changes

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 11,587 Mod ✭✭✭✭devnull

NTA summary from TransportForIreland.ie
    From Sunday 1st December 2019, Go-Ahead Ireland will commence operation of a number of Dublin Commuter routes currently operated by Bus Éireann:
    In advance of the change in operator, the NTA and Go-Ahead Ireland reviewed data and carried out surveys across all the routes.

Timetable enhancements will be implemented from commencement as outlined below:
    • 30-minute frequency between Newbridge and Dublin via Naas, Johnstown & Kill every day with additional peak time services
    • Evening services to operate hourly through to last bus at 01:05 from Dublin on Monday to Saturday
    • Additional services from Athy and Kilcullen including new off-peak connecting services to Naas for onward travel on Route 126
    • New services for Rathangan on Saturday and Sunday

• Registered Users Posts: 7,127 ✭✭✭pad199207

No word on fares yet?

pad199207 wrote: »
    No word on fares yet?

Fares don't change, they're exactly the same as now.

• Registered Users Posts: 583 ✭✭✭bureau2009

devnull wrote: »
    NTA summary from TransportForIreland.ie
    Re: Service No 126

Many of these buses commence and terminate in Newbridge. According to the timetable they commence and terminate in the MIDDLE of the town.

Given the location of a huge number of housing estates on the Kildare town side of Newbridge it is a disaster that they don't commence 2 stops earlier (The Crescent) and terminate 2 stops later (Woodies/Tesco).

It's like whoever drew up this timetable never set foot in Newbridge or even pulled out a map of the town.

After waiting ages for an improved service this is a needless DISASTER for bus passengers.

• Registered Users Posts: 336 ✭✭Tomrota

bureau2009 wrote: »
    Re: Service No 126

Many of these buses commence and terminate in Newbridge. According to the timetable they commence and terminate in the MIDDLE of the town.

Given the location of a huge number of housing estates on the Kildare town side of Newbridge it is a disaster that they don't commence 2 stops earlier (The Crescent) and terminate 2 stops later (Woodies/Tesco).

It's like whoever drew up this timetable never set foot in Newbridge or even pulled out a map of the town.

After waiting ages for an improved service this is a needless DISASTER for bus passengers.

If what you’re saying is correct then I’m not surprised. Everything about the 126 has always been a disaster. From my experience the whole route is just a “be grand, we’ve covered newbridge and naas” attitude from the NTA. Look at how ridiculously expensive the fares are. Look at how the current route is so disability unfriendly and unreliable in general. Look at where some of the bus stops are in rathcoole and citywest (what even? Who would use that on a regular basis???). Look at the route the bus takes skipping past Tallaght. Knowing this route and having used this bus many times I can say I’m not surprised by that at all. Half assed service by the NTA who probably doesn’t even know that Naas (sallins and kill) and newbridge even exist except for every time they have to renew this contract.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,261 ✭✭✭Thrashssacre

Tomrota wrote: »
    If what you’re saying is correct then I’m not surprised. Everything about the 126 has always been a disaster. From my experience the whole route is just a “be grand, we’ve covered newbridge and naas” attitude from the NTA. Look at how ridiculously expensive the fares are. Look at how the current route is so disability unfriendly and unreliable in general. Look at where some of the bus stops are in rathcoole and citywest (what even? Who would use that on a regular basis???). Look at the route the bus takes skipping past Tallaght. Knowing this route and having used this bus many times I can say I’m not surprised by that at all. Half assed service by the NTA who probably doesn’t even know that Naas (sallins and kill) and newbridge even exist except for every time they have to renew this contract.

What's wrong with the route exactly? It goes through the center of both towns then through Johnstown a decent sized suburb of nass then onto the quickest route to the city.

What's wrong with the route exactly? It goes through the center of both towns then through Johnstown a decent sized suburb of nass then onto the quickest route to the city.
    What's wrong with the route?

Mostly the fact that it's torturous, difficult, uncomfortable, slow and expensive travelling from Newbridge to Dublin :(

And it looks like the new Go-Ahead timetable will make things worse instead of better. :mad:

Well I can only tell you the problems that I have with it currently, well not that the NTA are changing much anyway haha.

The buses are giant coaches not designed for a short commute, inhibiting access for many disabled and frail.

The bus bypasses so many places where it could go, like through Rathcoole, Citywest, and Tallaght, providing greater connections. Instead at Citywest we have a crooked bus stop with no footpath that you have to walk onto a motorway slip road and onto the hard shoulder of one of the busiest roads in this country, seriously have to say this?

The fares are expensive. I can only speak for Naas, can’t imagine how expensive they are from newbridge. When you can do exactly the same journey distance from Maynooth or Greystones for so much cheaper. You also can’t make connections. It is not integrated into the LEAP system at all. So Naas to UCD = around 67€ per week for a student. Whereas maynooth to UCD = 20€ per week for a student. Really? I have to mention how stupid this is just because ones a bus Eireann and the others a Dublin Bus doing identical journeys. So will that change now that it’s a go ahead? Nope. Same expensive journeys. And the fact you have to pay fares as if you’re going on a journey cross country causes the boarding to be extremely slow at each stop.

The bus isn’t and never was reliable. Sometimes it doesn’t have its number displayed, or the bus isn’t even in livery (I can only speak for Bus Eireann). I’m pretty sure they’ve passed me by before after waiting an hour. Absolute joke. I can’t imagine that happening on the 145 or 155, Shane Ross would be outraged.

I could keep going. The main problem is the cost. Paying excruciatingly high fares than most buses for a small journey that is of inferior service.

A little update from the NTA
    Following the Council Safety Audit, we are making several changes to bus stops on these routes.

The following stops will no longer be served:

2 x Citywest (inbound and outbound) – N7 routes
    1 x Blackchurch N7 (inbound) – N7 route
    Inbound routes will no longer stop at Merrion Row. This stop has been moved to Dawson Street (125) and Merrion Street (130, and some 120 and 126 variants).

Update from Go-Ahead and FAQ
    https://www.goaheadireland.ie/dublin-commuter-frequently-asked-questions
    On March 2018, the NTA awarded Go-Ahead Ireland a contract to operate the Dublin Commuter coach routes currently operated by Bus Éireann.

There will be a number of changes to services alongside improvements as listed below.

Customers should familiarise themselves with the timetables as some departure times may be changed or operated by a different service number.

N7 Corridor
    30-minute frequency between Newbridge and Dublin via Naas, Johnstown & Kill every day with additional peak time services

Evening services to operate hourly through to last bus at 0105 from Dublin on Monday to Saturday

Additional services from Athy and Kilcullen including new off-peak connecting services to Naas for onward travel on Route 126

New services for Rathangan on Saturday and Sunday

N4 Corridor
    Earlier morning services from Edenderry, Prosperous and Clane

Hourly evening service to Edenderry on Monday to Saturday

Off peak and Saturday services every 30 minutes from Prosperous and Clane

New connecting service every day on Route 120C from Tullamore to Edenderry and extended to Enfield for onward bus and rail journeys

New Saturday service on Route 120B from Newbridge via Milltown, Kilmeague and Robertstown.

When is Go-Ahead Ireland commencing services?
    The dates of operation are as follows;

Phase 1 (N7 routes) - Sunday, 1st December 2019
    Phase 2 (N4 routes) - Sunday, 19th January 2020

National Transport Authority & Transport for Ireland (TFI)
    The National Transport Authority (NTA) specifies details of bus services– setting the fares, routes and frequencies. The services will be operated under the Transport for Ireland brand with a new vehicle livery.

Ticketing
    Current payment options i.e. Leap card will work on all services operated by Go-Ahead Ireland as will the Free Travel Scheme.
    Real Time Passenger Information (RTPI) will be provided by the Transport for Ireland (TfI) app.
    Timetables will be available on www.goaheadireland.ie and TFI https://www.transportforireland.ie/ websites.
    Route information will cease to show on the Bus Éireann apps and website.
    When Go-Ahead Ireland take over the new commuter routes, tickets and trips will no longer be available via Bus Éireann. Tickets can still be purchased on www.taxsaver.ie. For all other trips, customers should use their Leap card or pay cash.

Timetables
    The NTA is responsible for setting timetables across the public transport network in conjunction with operators. The NTA has confirmed that there will be an increase in frequency of service on some routes.

Bus Stops & Closures on foot of Council Safety Audit
    2 x Citywest (inbound and outbound) - N7 routes
    1 x Blackchurch N7 (inbound) - N7 route
    Any queries in this regard should be directed to the NTA.

Inbound routes will no longer stop at Merrion Row. This stop has been moved to Dawson Street (125) and Merrion Street (130, and some 120 and 126 variants). This decision was taken given the increased level of buses at Merrion Row.

Are you coaches pet friendly?
    Guide dogs and assistance dogs are welcome on our buses and all animals should be required to sit at the feet of person responsible for them without blocking the gangway. All pets and animals are carried free of charge. Alternatively, it is acceptable for smaller animals to sit on the lap of the customer but not on the actual seat where it is at risk of being soiled. It is our policy to use discretion regarding carriage. Any bird or animal which is likely to cause annoyance or damage to any customer or the vehicle will politely be declined travel.

Marketing Campaign
    A marketing campaign will be rolled out in advance of mobilisation so consumers are aware of any changes to the commuter service. Until then, customers can refer to the www.goaheadireland.ie website, for regular updates. This website also lists all our customer care information which we would ask customers to use.

• Advertisement

So will the real time go ahead buses be displayed on the bus stop screens?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,031 ✭✭✭Slippin Jimmy

So will the real time go ahead buses be displayed on the bus stop screens?

Presumably so. They are displayed next to Dublin Bus departures where they serve the same stop.

This new service is presented in glowing PR terms.

The DISASTER is that the new 126 timetable fails to serve the Kildare side of Newbridge town.

A large percentage of buses are commencing and terminating in the MIDDLE of Newbridge, therefore excluding about 20+ housing estates at the TOP of the town.

NOBODY is accountable for this huge error.

And NOBODY will rectify it.

This new service is presented in glowing PR terms.

The DISASTER is that the new 126 timetable fails to serve the Kildare side of Newbridge town.

A large percentage of buses are commencing and terminating in the MIDDLE of Newbridge, therefore excluding about 20+ housing estates at the TOP of the town.

NOBODY is accountable for this huge error.

And NOBODY will rectify it.

Old timetable:
    https://www.buseireann.ie/timetables/126-1517226404.pdf

New timetable
    https://images-goaheadireland.passenger-website.com/downloads/GAI_TFI%20branding_tt%20book_125%20126%20130_A5_P_28pp_0919_v14%20-%20web_0.pdf

What is it that you are seeing which is far worse on the new timetable from the old? Can you be a bit more specific?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭Kopparberg Strawberry and Lime

Old timetable:

New timetable
    https://images-goaheadireland.passenger-website.com/downloads/GAI_TFI%20branding_tt%20book_125%20126%20130_A5_P_28pp_0919_v14%20-%20web_0.pdf

What is it that you are seeing which is far worse on the new timetable from the old? Can you be a bit more specific?

This person is getting confused

The bus eireann service does terminate in the middle of the town, but by the goodness in us and using commen sense we drop people down to the Tesco because we're going that way anyway

Officially the stop is the middle of the town currently. Its not changing

Also that bus stop heading into Naas towards Kildare before the post office IS NOT A STOP

it's a bus bay for parking and thankfully go-ahead won't be serving it in the same way I never do !

Old timetable:

New timetable

I thought I was very specific!

With Bus Eireann most buses commenced in Kildare town and therefore served ALL bus stops the entire length of Newbridge town.

With Go Ahead the bulk of services are commencing in Newbridge, in the MIDDLE of the town. The net result is that bus stops on the Kildare side of Newbridge town are NOT BEING SERVED.

:mad::mad::mad:

I thought I was very specific!

With Bus Eireann most buses commenced in Kildare town and therefore served ALL bus stops the entire length of Newbridge town.

With Go Ahead the bulk of services are commencing in Newbridge, in the MIDDLE of the town. The net result is that bus stops on the Kildare side of Newbridge town are NOT BEING SERVED.

:mad::mad::mad:

Again as with my reply, that's not true

Most BE did same as what the timetable is showing.

Most services in morning start from Ryan's bar in newbridge heading in.

The timetable is only being improved, not worsen from the changes

The timetable is only being improved, not worsen from the changes
    Not for me!

I'm buying an annual TRAIN ticket!

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭Fizzy Duck

GOOD for you! :rolleyes:

Hopefully Go Ahead release their own app for real time information instead of that woefully updated tfi app

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,128 ✭✭✭p_haugh

Hopefully Go Ahead release their own app for real time information instead of that woefully updated tfi app

That would be ideal but I don't think that they are allowed to unfortunately. Next bus Dublin is a good replacement for the tfi real time app but it only shows Dublin bus routes and the go ahead city routes, not bus Eireann or these go ahead commuter routes.

Those Go Ahead Buses very frequent through Naas today. Hopefully they will be as frequent when they are in service...

New services are running

Very slow. I know first day and all that. If every single 126 is going up the Rathcoole slip road and going down the Newlands Cross Slip road even if nobody is getting off then it’s adding big delays on getting into town.

The queue for that Rathcoole slip road can be huge due to the ineffective roundabout at the top

40 minutes from Naas to Red Cow on a Sunday

New services are running

Very slow. I know first day and all that. If every single 126 is going up the Rathcoole slip road and going down the Newlands Cross Slip road even if nobody is getting off then it’s adding big delays on getting into town.

The queue for that Rathcoole slip road can be huge due to the ineffective roundabout at the top

40 minutes from Naas to Red Cow on a Sunday
    Rathcoole is not a drop off only stop. That roundabout is really terrible but I don’t see what other way they could do it.

Tomrota wrote: »
    Rathcoole is not a drop off only stop. That roundabout is really terrible but I don’t see what other way they could do it.

Rathcoole going to city center is drop off only.

The pub on the way out is pick up only.

Rathcoole going to city center is drop off only.

The pub on the way out is pick up only.

According to the go ahead timetable, the rathcoole slip road is not pick up only. So if someone wants to get from Rathcoole to city centre on 126 rather than the 69 and pay much more, they can.

Verdict so far on Go Ahead Ireland route 126:

* Polite drivers
    * Very long journey times
    * Lots of confusion about tickets - many people not being charged a fare
    * No point in having buses every 20 minutes at peak time if only 1 in 3 buses turn up! :mad:

Disappointing overall.

Verdict so far on Go Ahead Ireland route 126:

* Polite drivers
    * Very long journey times
    * Lots of confusion about tickets - many people not being charged a fare
    * No point in having buses every 20 minutes at peak time if only 1 in 3 buses turn up! :mad:

Disappointing overall.

N7 Corridor is a no go for buses during rush hour. Took me nearly 2 hours to get from the Naas Ball to Heuston Station this morning and that was on the 130 that didn’t go through Kill or Johnstown either.

Agree the drivers are very polite, he even apologised to everybody for the journey taking so long but what can he do? Snarled up in a maze of trucks, cars and vans.

• Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭emfifty

N7 Corridor is a no go for buses during rush hour. Took me nearly 2 hours to get from the Naas Ball to Heuston Station this morning and that was on the 130 that didn’t go through Kill or Johnstown either.

Agree the drivers are very polite, he even apologised to everybody for the journey taking so long but what can he do? Snarled up in a maze of trucks, cars and vans.

Ridiculous. They need to put a bus lane on the N7 hard shoulder from Rathcoole to M50, at least.
    What should the journey time be from Naas and Athy?

• Advertisement

I thought the fares would have been the same as before as bus Éireann.

Leap adult single to Naas from town
    Bus Eireann €5:39
    Go Ahead €3:85

Advertisement