Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Changing thread titles

Options
  • 30-12-2018 4:53am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 181 ✭✭

Hello,

Can someone clarify why some thread titles get changed to random nonsense such as what's happening in After Hours now? Are the OPs doing it or the mods?

Either way, it's terrible for discussion as the thread descends into speculation about what's happened to the title rather than focusing on the thread topic.

Comments

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,432 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

I've moved this to Help Desk as it's a forum-specific issue

• Registered Users Posts: 25,411 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

Ok so 1st things 1st let me say that it doesn't bother me in the slightest and actually got a giggle when it happened (feck off i was drunk, i get the giggles when drunk) but can i ask why?

If it's just for said giggles that's fine and dandy but the (only) issue i have with it is that the title change in this particular thread has taken over the debate and so the issue in the op is now no longer being discussed.

https://touch.boards.ie/thread/2057938919/52/#post108994821

Some are saying it's the mystery mods way of shutting down a subject that they don't like and some of the more extreme are calling for mod (virtual) heads to roll.

Any chance someone can put their hand up and own up to the change and explain why?

Also if this is going to become a regular thing (this isnt the 1st thread title to get butchered for funnsies) could the mod maybe pop a mod note in the op explaining why the title was changed?

As i said this has taken away from the discussion and i don't want a mod coming in saying "thread has run it's course as the subject is no longer under discussion" and shutting what was an interesting thread.

Cheers and a happy new year.

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,205 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

I'd be very pissed off if I stated a thread and the title was changed to nonsense like that.

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Do we know a mod changed it rather than the OP?

If it was a moderator they ought to be demodded, mocking or editoriailising in such a fashion is unacceptable interference.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,519 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Thread moved to the Help desk and merged with other thread on same topic.

dudara

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,751 ✭✭✭mirrorwall14

Honestly even as someone who doesn’t post a hell of a lot in after hours, those titles are unreadable and look ridiculous when they keep popping up on the front page

dudara wrote: »
    Thread moved to the Help desk and merged with other thread on same topic.

dudara

Why move it to helpdesk though? Surely feedback would be better so you know... people can give feedback on the issue.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,432 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Why move it to helpdesk though? Surely feedback would be better so you know... people can give feedback on the issue.
    It's not feedback, it's a complaint about a specific issue in a particular forum. Help Desk deals with such complaints

Executive decision taken and implemented. I've just changed the thread title back to what it was originally

Beasty wrote: »
    It's not feedback, it's a complaint about a specific issue in a particular forum. Help Desk deals with such complaints

It's an ongoing issue that people would like to give feedback on given the chance. Moving to helpdesk means posts have to be approved and replies are censored.

• Advertisement

Executive decision taken and implemented. I've just changed the thread title back to what it was originally

Thats grand.

Why was it changed?

Who changed it?

Why where previous thread titles changed?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,755 ✭✭✭DopeTech

So who changed the thread title in the first place?

• Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

Do we know a mod changed it rather than the OP?

If it was a moderator they ought to be demodded, mocking or editoriailising in such a fashion is unacceptable interference.

OP can't change a thread title. It was 100% a moderator.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 181 ✭✭Peter Denham

There's others too.

AH was supposed to be a place for light hearted banter. We've been discussing how we might try and deal with more serious discussion for some time, and there are a few ideas floating around

The mods signed up to the former and not what it has become. Again I am hopeful we can find a solution that is better than the current situation. One thing I would say though is if posters want to have serious discussion, they can expect strict modding

In the meantime we're discussing the thread title issue with the local mods.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,400 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

Why was it changed?

Who changed it?

Why where previous thread titles changed?

The mods do it because they think it's funny, god love them.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,504 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

Thread title changes were by me.

I've always maintained that AH is supposed to be a light-hearted forum. I posted recently in the AH mod forum because there has been an increasing amount of threads started that are based on silly identity politics and IMO, has absolutely no place in AH. The consensus among other mods was that these threads don't belong in AH but we weren't sure what to do with them. Close them or move them?

I have no idea how discussions that are about left vs right and liberals vs conservatives has become a thing. These kind of threads just turn into arguments that are little more than back and forth relentless generalisations ad nauseum. And often, posters bring in beefs against other posters from other threads/forums into these threads. I'd like to move them to Politics Cafe but even then, it seems like I'd be treating PC as a dumping ground for what AH doesn't want but that didn't seem fair on the PC mods.

I honestly had no idea that so many people would be up in arms over some thread title changes. I have no strong political beliefs either way and didn't intend that thread title changes would be perceived as shutting down discussion I didn't like. If I wanted to shut down discussion, I'd have closed the thread or banned people or something.

AH was supposed to be a place for light hearted banter. We've been discussing how we might try and deal with more serious discussion for some time, and there are a few ideas floating around

The mods signed up to the former and not what it has become. Again I am hopeful we can find a solution that is better than the current situation. One thing I would say though is if posters want to have serious discussion, they can expect strict modding

In the meantime we're discussing the thread title issue with the local mods.

Ligt hearted banter is fine, i think we can all agree on that, changing thread titles to ineligible nonsense (while it may seem like a good idea at the time) takes the discussion away from the subject and will eventually ensure that a thread gets closed for all the wrong reasons.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭Relikk

It was the same with the Louise O'Neill thread for months. It's very childish and very unprofessional. It shouldn't matter what the subject is, or what forum it's in, moderators are there for exactly what their titles describe. Instead they're abusing their tools and dictating instead of moderating.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,081 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

Omackeral wrote: »
    OP can't change a thread title. It was 100% a moderator.

That's incorrect.

A poster can edit their own post body for up to 48 hours after posting it.

The creator of a thread can edit the title, for up to 24 hours after creating it. It's only beyond that time limit that a mod/cmod/admin is needed to change the thread title, as was the case in the thread being discussed.

• Advertisement

@Mark, is there any particular reason that only threads started by apparently right leaning posters were edited or this that just a coincidence?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,504 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

@Mark, is there any particular reason that only threads started by apparently right leaning posters were edited or this that just a coincidence?

Coincidence.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,016 ✭✭✭✭Esel

I think it is very juvenile, and that only the title changer thinks it's funny.

Not your ornery onager

I've always maintained that AH is supposed to be a light-hearted forum. I posted recently in the AH mod forum because there has been an increasing amount of threads started that are based on silly identity politics and IMO, has absolutely no place in AH. The consensus among other mods was that these threads don't belong in AH but we weren't sure what to do with them. Close them or move them?

I have no idea how discussions that are about left vs right and liberals vs conservatives has become a thing. These kind of threads just turn into arguments that are little more than back and forth relentless generalisations ad nauseum. And often, posters bring in beefs against other posters from other threads/forums into these threads. I'd like to move them to Politics Cafe but even then, it seems like I'd be treating PC as a dumping ground for what AH doesn't want but that didn't seem fair on the PC mods.

I honestly had no idea that so many people would be up in arms over some thread title changes. I have no strong political beliefs either way and didn't intend that thread title changes would be perceived as shutting down discussion I didn't like. If I wanted to shut down discussion, I'd have closed the thread or banned people or something.

Fair play to you for putting your hand up and admitting it was you.

I never thought for one minute that it was about shutting down discussion debate but the way the last few pages had decended into conspiracy theory territory i felt it should be bought up to clarify wether it was intentional as a joke or was there another reason.

With falling numbers on threads i honestly think thread changes (for giggles) is a bad idea as it will either be jumped upon by people making accusations of shutting down debate or will put people off joining the discussion altogether.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 302 ✭✭Muscles Schultz

It’s idiotic. Don’t do it again. It’s neither clever or smart.

Don’t do it again.
    Just to make one thing clear - this thread is for discussion of the issue. It's not for a "regular" user to issue instructions to anyone

Thanks

Just to make one thing clear - this thread is for discussion of the issue. It's not for a "regular" user to issue instructions to anyone

Thanks

I'm assuming that you changing the title back to its original state is indication that you don't agree with it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 518 ✭✭✭keith_sixteen

I've always maintained that AH is supposed to be a light-hearted forum.

Firstly, fair play for standing up and saying you did it.

Secondly, please realise this was a serious error of judgement. Why not just close the thread? It's not simply changing a thread title. It's blatant piss taking.

It's breaking some cardinal rules in AH like don't be a dick and, play the ball, not the man.

I'd do the decent thing here and step down from moderation.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,349 ✭✭✭1800_Ladladlad

As stated in the OG thread, for the title to be changed in the way that it was, was the height of petulance irregardless of the thread subject.
    threads started that are based on silly identity politics and IMO, has absolutely no place in AH

This is purely a subjective opinion. If a moderator is unable to mod from an objective point of view and proceeds to take the p*ss with threads they don't agree with, they should be moderating on a different part of the forum where they will be impartial and not show a level of disdain to posters. The cynic in me thinks this wasn't a coincidence, to coinciding with the others examples.

Yes AH is suppose to be light hearted and Im 100% sure that there have been mods that would've loved nothing more than to close a thread or knuckle down: but don't. But to see a mod be so impartial in such a visible way on AH was distasteful.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,492 ✭✭✭pleas advice

I'm with the mod on this one, bitta craic, what harm?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement