Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Horrendous assault in Lucan

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 568 ✭✭✭rgodard80a

Well large parts of lucan are a good distance from bus routes,its a good distance out from the city centre

The 25a/b goes through most of the estates in "New" Lucan, ie. The south of the n4. You would be unfortunate.if you were more than 15 mins walk from any bus stop. Also served by night links.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,363 ✭✭✭corner of hells

Well large parts of lucan are a good distance from bus routes,its a good distance out from the city centre and is ringed with housing estates flanked by main roads and a motorway..theres nothing in lucan really but houses.

It's 16 km to the city centre .
    It's surrounded by open spaces , lots of soccer teams , GAA clubs , athlettics clubs ,fishing and canoeing on the river and canal.
    Couple of nice pubs around the village .

Nothing really.

rgodard80a wrote: »
    The 25a/b goes through most of the estates in "New" Lucan, ie. The south of the n4. You would be unfortunate.if you were more than 15 mins walk from any bus stop. Also served by night links.

25s service old Lucan as well as 66and 67s.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,089 ✭✭✭Happy4all

I live in Limerick between 10 and 15 years ago and am currently living in Lucan. This nonexistant trouble seems to keep following me. Or maybe I'm causing this nonexistant trouble?

Well, Limerick had a reputation 10/15 years ago and now it's Lucan has the reputation. Just saying😀

Happy4all wrote: »
    Well, Limerick had a reputation 10/15 years ago and now it's Lucan has the reputation. Just saying😀

Hopefully , Lucan will become a City of Culture in the next few years.

Limerick had gang warfare , Lucan has a bunch of feral teens running wild , bit of a difference.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Berserker

20 years ago lucan was a sleepy place. In the last 5 or 6 years it has turned into a cesspit of crime,due in part to its distance from any meaningful amenities and also it has continued to grow hugely,merging with areas that have always been dumps.

Having a laugh? Lucan has fantastic facilities. Off the top of my head, they have Liffey valley for cinema, shopping and all that good stuff within spitting distance. In terms of sports you have GAA sports, football, athletics, hockey and water sports of all sorts in clubs along the liffey. The city centre is a short hop away on the bus. It's one of the better spots when it comes to amenities.

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭msshono

There was a post on Lucan Parents group in the past few hours where a resident, earlier today, witnessed teenagers in school uniform smoking weed at a public place and then getting into a car and driving (under the influence). The OP was trying to identify the school uniforms (no faces posted in the picture) so as to notify the schools and also Gardai. The OP was lambasted and laughed at by the majority on the post for ‘not minding their own business’ and for ‘being in the wrong for taking photos of minors’. Comments such as ‘it’s only a bit of weed’ and ‘they could be at worse’. This to me says a lot about the local problems, assuming these commenters on the post were parents given it’s a parents page...a number of parents couldn’t give a toss where their kids are, what they’re doing or how they’re behaving. And then excuse an offence such as driving under the influence of a drug and then think it was a worse offence for someone to take a picture of them committing the offence! Where is the sanity in that! How are the kids gonna have any better attitude if their parents think like this!

Also agree there’s lots for kids to do in the area. In lots of other parts of Ireland there is next to nothing facilities-wise and people don’t get beaten up just for something to do!

• Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

klaaaz wrote: »
    I avoid the area nowadays, too many murders

God forgive me but I laughed.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,246 ✭✭✭judeboy101

spurious wrote: »
    Looks like Lucan is the new Coolock. Anything bad happening within about 4 kms will be described as being in Lucan. Anything good is probably Leixlip.

In fairness, leixlip has child on child murders and gang rapings, so its got its own problems.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 195 ✭✭GAA Beo

Theres a FB page called Lucan Life saying they are having a March against Violence on Saturday 12pm. Page has 20k likes. They have 2 posts up, I'd post it but my copy and paste isn't working. Lists a number of incidents that have taken place.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭sbsquarepants

GAA Beo wrote: »
    Doesn't really help the situation it sounds pathetic. "Steve I didn't do my geography homework!". I'm not surprised there is a bunch of feral ill disciplined children roaming around.

I think you could be confusing linguistics with respect. What you call someone is not important, how you interact with them is!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 339 ✭✭frankythefish

There needs to be a mass cull done in lucan. Simple as. Actually a legalized purge is what I am thinking

• Registered Users Posts: 11,902 ✭✭✭✭anewme

There's a huge racial mix in Lucan, lots of Africans especially around Griffeen Avenue on the Ronanstown side where the gang of 50 attacked the teens recently. I used to see African kids/teens shadow boxing as they walked to school. Tonnes of taxi drivers live there as it has easy access to the city centre.
    But there's a high percentage of rented housing and social housing there too, where the occupants will never be as community focused as those who own houses there.

Glad I sold up a few years ago, I was there for 11 years.
    Didn't want my kids to grow up in that environment.

I lived in "new Lucan" fior seven years. It started off ok, but people sold out and I ended up being one in a minority on the road, as most of the other residents were foreign nationals, houses were rented, mostly to EHB.

The state of the place, all overgrown with satellite dishes over the front door was driving me mad, so I left. No regrets.

Had heard it improved a bit after the crash, as a fair few if the houses went back to being owner occupiers.

Part of the problem
    Is the sheer size of the place. It gives anonymity. Here if Johnny is being a Cnut, you can knock onto Johnnys parents and Johnny will be sorted, in Lucan, you don't even know all the people your estate, hence the roaming gangs, no one who or where they are or where they live.

• Registered Users Posts: 35,024 ✭✭✭✭Baggly

I was murdered in Lucan once.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,518 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

Pter wrote: »

It was me that murdered you. But then you murdered me back. Remember?

It was me that murdered you. But then you murdered me back. Remember?

Oh yeah. But we were young back then. Murder is a young man's game these days.

anewme wrote: »
    The state of the place, all overgrown with satellite dishes over the front door

Didn't know satellite dishes grow like ivy on the front of houses.

In fairness, if you look at the sheer size of "Lucan" on Google maps here and move the same area to Dublin city centre, it looks like it would stretch from Drumcondra to Rathmines.

Or at least everything in between the Royal & Grand canals.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Berserker

msshono wrote: »
    This to me says a lot about the local problems, assuming these commenters on the post were parents given it’s a parents page...a number of parents couldn’t give a toss where their kids are, what they’re doing or how they’re behaving. And then excuse an offence such as driving under the influence of a drug and then think it was a worse offence for someone to take a picture of them committing the offence! Where is the sanity in that! How are the kids gonna have any better attitude if their parents think like this!

Anyone who laughs off driving under the influence of drugs is an idiot.
    klaaaz wrote: »
    Lucan is fast becoming a no-go area. I avoid the area nowadays, too many murders, assaults and feral youths on the rampage. Lucan is not a safe place to live in.

Have you ever lived abroad?

Berserker wrote: »
    Anyone who laughs off driving under the influence of drugs is an idiot.

Have you ever lived abroad?

Abroad ? I wonder has he ever heard of the Filthy Fifty in Finglas South.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,902 ✭✭✭✭anewme

Didn't know satellite dishes grow like ivy on the front of houses.

In fairness, if you look at the sheer size of "Lucan" on Google maps here and move the same area to Dublin city centre, it looks like it would stretch from Drumcondra to Rathmines.

Or at least everything in between the Royal & Grand canals.

Those satelite dishes could have launched space shuttles they were that big. You re actually not allowed under law to have them on the front of the house, but no one cared.

The re-zoning didnt help Lucan either. Anywhere that vast is going to have those challenges. I think there was something like 750 houses in my estate, then the estate beside that, and beside that and so on....

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭The Enbalmer

Good enough for ye!

Good enough for ye!

Thanks buddy.

anewme wrote: »
    Those satelite dishes could have launched space shuttles they were that big. You re actually not allowed under law to have them on the front of the house, but no one cared.

I'd be surprised if that's "law" as opposed to an estate specific rule as part of the terms of purchase. Especially for the likes of terraced townhouses where they may have limited mounting points on the houses.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,700 ✭✭✭bogmanfan

I'm from Lucan originally, and have been living back there for the last 16 years. I remember when I was in school we were told the population was around 7,000. Now it's seven times that? That's massive overdevelopment.

Where I live is 'old Lucan'. It's less than a 10 minute walk from the village. It's a lovely area, very quiet and never had any hassle at all. I remember when I bought my place in 2003, I was being warned off some of the newer estates like Foxborough by estate agents. Even then there was talk of anti-social behaviour etc.

The problem is that while Lucan itself has excellent facilities and amenities, most of the problem areas are actually several miles away from Lucan village and therefore don't really have access to those amenities.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,887 ✭✭✭✭Riskymove

I'd be surprised if that's "law" as opposed to an estate specific rule as part of the terms of purchase. Especially for the likes of terraced townhouses where they may have limited mounting points on the houses.

its planning law

e.g.
    https://kilkennycoco.ie/eng/Services/Planning/Planning_Publications/Satellite_Dish_Installation_Information.html

RIP hun ur wit de angels now xox

• Registered Users Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

Omackeral wrote: »
    RIP hun ur wit de angels now xox

angles*

• Registered Users Posts: 1,628 ✭✭✭klaaaz

I wonder has he ever heard of the Filthy Fifty in Finglas South.

Yes, they were from the 90's and are probably mostly dead or in prison now.

Their successors are creating havoc in Lucan lately. Looking at the Lucan Life fb page, there have been many assaults gone unreported including a violent assault on an old lady walking home, numerous burglaries including aggravated ones, joyriding, vandalism, drug problem etc. And that's the unreported crimes that are not in the main newspapers! :eek:

Ush1 wrote: »
    angles*

Sorry, that's all my years of collage getting the better of me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,754 ✭✭✭Deebles McBeebles

Another assault in Lucan (forgive the link being from The Journal)
    https://www.thejournal.ie/attack-teenagers-lucan-assault-4433291-Jan2019/

Advertisement