Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Replacing HKC battery

Options
  • 29-12-2018 12:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 40

Hi, I have an HKC House alarm. The panel was flashing amber and now red advising of a battery replacement.

Firstly am I right in assuming that the battery that needs replaced is in the main alarm box? Secondly is it relatively easy to replace these ?

Any advice would be great.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,643 ✭✭✭✭altor

Hi, I have an HKC House alarm. The panel was flashing amber and now red advising of a battery replacement.

Firstly am I right in assuming that the battery that needs replaced is in the main alarm box? Secondly is it relatively easy to replace these ?

Any advice would be great.

Do you know which HKC system you have?

• Registered Users Posts: 598 ✭✭✭Needles73

Do you know the engineers code or just one for alarm/disarm ?

• Registered Users Posts: 40 Young Pretender

The keypad looks like this one SW-RKP Slimline.

There are no markings on the central alarm box that shows which model I have, apart from HKC on the box. Systems is around 6 years old. And I do have the alarm/disarm code which I think may be the same as the engineer's code. There may be a way of using the keypad to determine the model number so let me know if that can be done.

Looks like it could be a HKC Securewatch from checking on line ....

The keypad looks like this one SW-RKP Slimline.

There are no markings on the central alarm box that shows which model I have, apart from HKC on the box. Systems is around 6 years old. And I do have the alarm/disarm code which I think may be the same as the engineer's code. There may be a way of using the keypad to determine the model number so let me know if that can be done.

Looks like it could be a HKC Securewatch from checking on line ....

Standard 12V 7 Amp battery is what you need.
    Have a look for supplies here.

When you open the main control panel you simply put in your user code to silence the alarm activating.

Thanks so much I'll take a look... much appreciated.

• Advertisement

Thanks so much I'll take a look... much appreciated.

No problem, always happy to help

Altor/Needles 73 - Thanks so much for your help and advice.
    Got a new battery which arrived this morning and removed the old one.
    All sorted now and delighted.

Altor/Needles 73 - Thanks so much for your help and advice.
    Got a new battery which arrived this morning and removed the old one.
    All sorted now and delighted.

Brilliant, glad you got it sorted

• Registered Users Posts: 48 1983ish

Same situation here myself. I had the control panel open to look at the battery, system went into tamper mode and my normal code silenced it
    Is it just a straight swap out(when I get a new battery) or what way did you do it OP

1983ish wrote: »
    Same situation here myself. I had the control panel open to look at the battery, system went into tamper mode and my normal code silenced it
    Is it just a straight swap out(when I get a new battery) or what way did you do it OP

Yes, remove the old battery and replace with a new one.
    12V 7Amp

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 48 1983ish

altor wrote: »
    Yes, remove the old battery and replace with a new one.
    12V 7Amp

Thanks

1983ish wrote: »
    Thanks

You're welcome.
    Any other problems come back to us

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭mhtc

Hi all, apologies for piggyback on this. When replacing the battery, should you cut the ac power (at the breaker) to the alarm control board itself? Or is it safe to just swap the battery without cutting the power?
    Many thanks, mhtc

mhtc wrote: »
    Hi all, apologies for piggyback on this. When replacing the battery, should you cut the ac power (at the breaker) to the alarm control board itself? Or is it safe to just swap the battery without cutting the power?
    Many thanks, mhtc

If you don't feel safe working around electricity then its always safer to turn it off.
    In saying that, the mains is usually terminated in a fused location away from the battery so your usually safe doing this with mains on.

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭mhtc

altor wrote: »
    If you don't feel safe working around electricity then its always safer to turn it off.
    In saying that, the mains is usually terminated in a fused location away from the battery so your usually safe doing this with mains on.

Great, thanks for the reply

mhtc wrote: »
    Great, thanks for the reply

No problem, always happy to help

• Registered Users Posts: 2 ck999999

Hi guys, Im trying to replace HKC back up battery but when I turn mains off there are still a couple of red lights lighting on the motherboard above the battery so I don't know it its safe or what is powering these small lights? One of the lights says 'status' the other is under a black plastic cover in the top left section. Any help much appreciated. Thanks

If the old battery is connected it would be power from that that is keeping the board powered, unless there is a power supply connected to the system which would also keep it powered.

If you disconnect the old battery you can swap out the battery regardless.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 ck999999

Thanks Altor. So it's safe as long as the mains are off as in house lights and plugs with no power?

Yes it should be but its up to you to use caution if you think it is on.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 624 ✭✭✭Meeoow

Hey. Going to replace battery on hkc today. I'm going to knock off power at fuse and change out.

I'm assuming that there is no need for eng code, just my own code?

That would depend on the alarm you have in place.

On older versions of the Quantum 70 you would need to go into engineer mode to reset the battery timer.

Any other HKC its just a matter of changing the battery and the user code is all you should need.

It's a secure watch keypad, so hopefully it'll not require eng code, as I don't have it!

Hey, thanks altor. Changed battery no problem.

Didn't knock off fuse, just opened panel. It alarmed as tampered with. Put in my code. Changed battery. Replaced panel cover. All good!

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭comfort

Hi there,

I remember asking this question a long ti e ago and totally forgot all about it. My HKC alarm still has the amber light on and on the Panel it says Panel Battery Fault. This is like easily 5 or so years later and has been like this all this time.

Anyway I noticed (and this I now remember as being the reason for not getting it done) reading the chats here that you say you need to change the battery 12v 7amp in the panel - but that battery is not in the panel. It’s in the big box where all the circuitry is and it’s the backup battery which is sitting on the base of the metal box. Would this be correct ?

I need to go get this battery at long last while I remember it now.

so no need to open the actual control panel with the keypad.

many thanks in advance.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,590 ✭✭✭zg3409

It's not the keypad you open. On the battery the voltage and ah should be listed. Measure the width length and height and check that the one you order will fit and has the correct connection type. Warn neighbours etc that alarm will go off. Turn off main power before opening. Be careful to not damage any wires or parts

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭comfort

Yes as I thought. Many thanks for confirming for me. The key pad is the panel is the point I was making. So when some comments were referencing the battery in the panel it’s not the panel it’s the metal box as when you open it the tamper will go off.

do I need to turn off the power to change this battery ?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,590 ✭✭✭zg3409

Yes, you should remove power from the panel. Beware you may have a different model hkc as they have various models possibly with different size or shape batteries.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 34 trigger78

Hi ive a HKC that had a battery fault light on. I've changed the battery but the fault light and warning is still on. Any ideas anyone?

Advertisement