Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Replacing timbers on lake boat

• 28-12-2018 6:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 14

Hi all,

I've a 19ft wide beam sheelin boat and thinking of replacing the timbers on it. There's no rot on them but they are little soft on the bottom. Was wondering how much would it cost to replace them professionally?

Comments

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,320 Mod ✭✭✭✭fergal.b

Very hard to put a price on it till it's finished :) the thing with wooden boats is that once you start to dig out one bad bit it starts to grow and sometimes you end up with no boat or a boat that ends costing more to repair than the boat is worth :eek: If you know any good carpenters get them to have a look at it for you, or if you want to have a go yourself here are a few videos of what's involved.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 mikeamoia

fergal.b wrote: »
    Very hard to put a price on it till it's finished :) the thing with wooden boats is that once you start to dig out one bad bit it starts to grow and sometimes you end up with no boat or a boat that ends costing more to repair than the boat is worth :eek: If you know any good carpenters get them to have a look at it for you, or if you want to have a go yourself here are a few videos of what's involved.

Sorry meant to say it's a fibreglass boat. It's just the timber gunnels, seat and that I mean.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,320 Mod ✭✭✭✭fergal.b

Should be easy enough for any good carpenter you would be looking at about €150 a day plus timber and fittings, if you know the make of the boat you might be able to buy the gunnels from the factory, again this is also something you could take on yourself and we will try to help out along the way.

fergal.b wrote: »
    Should be easy enough for any good carpenter you would be looking at about €150 a day plus timber and fittings, if you know the make of the boat you might be able to buy the gunnels from the factory, again this is also something you could take on yourself and we will try to help out along the way.

That’s awful light on the labour cost Fergal, if you don’t mind me saying. May not be especially hard work, but I’d double up to about €300 a day on the labour for someone self employed who’d be well equipped and able to just get on and do the job.

JayZeus wrote: »
    That’s awful light on the labour cost Fergal, if you don’t mind me saying. May not be especially hard work, but I’d double up to about €300 a day on the labour for someone self employed who’d be well equipped and able to just get on and do the job.

Don't say that you will give him a heart attack :D I was thinking if he knew someone they might do mate rates in exchange for a day trip fishing or a few fresh fish :D I do appreciate skilled craft people and the prices they charge but in this time of flat packing I often get told "sure I could buy that in IKEA €20" :)

• Advertisement
Advertisement