Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Are boing water taps worth it (environmentally)?

• 24-12-2018 10:38am
    Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭

Just wondering if people with PV especially think the Quooker type boiling water taps are a benefit?

It's convenient for sure for cooking and tea/coffee and there's no surge in demand like when one boils with a kettle/induction hob so they would arguably make better use of PV output with low but constant demand.

On the flip side they are expensive and presumably leak a small amount of heat throughout the day and night.

Could it be lumped into a Deep Retrofit application along with solar panels?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,410 ✭✭✭dathi

bluesteel wrote: »
    Just wondering if people with PV especially think the Quooker type boiling water taps are a benefit?

It's convenient for sure for cooking and tea/coffee and there's no surge in demand like when one boils with a kettle/induction hob so they would arguably make better use of PV output with low but constant demand.

On the flip side they are expensive and presumably leak a small amount of heat throughout the day and night.

Could it be lumped into a Deep Retrofit application along with solar panels?

they have a 2.2 kw element

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 533 ✭✭✭mike_2009

511kWh energy usage a year quoted on one instant hot water tap. Not sure if this is constant or peaks (2.2 kw as dathi points out) after water is replenished, so just like a kettle but in reverse! PV Generation may help offset some of this but not at night or in winter unless you have batteries?
    One article I read reckoned that energy usage is on a par with an Electric kettle overall but it can save water. My friend got one recently though and loves it! So as a convenience it's a clear winner, environmentally - less so....I doubt you'd get a grant for it !!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 65,709 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

mike_2009 wrote: »
    511kWh energy usage a year quoted on one instant hot water tap.

That seems very high. Given that the average Irish household consumes 3500kWh per year

It needs to be running at peak power for 40 minutes a day on average to consume that.

A number of them have appeared in the works kitchenettes, they're great.
    I'm surprised the Health & safety freaks haven't plastered them with warning stickers!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,760 ✭✭✭Effects

Two people I know had them. Two different manufacturers. Both broke down in a short enough time span.

• Advertisement
Advertisement