Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ben Dunne Gym

Options
  • 23-12-2018 8:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,526 ✭✭✭

Hi

I know there was talk of a Ben Dunne gym opeining in Galway maybe a couple of years ago.

Anybody have any new updates on this?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,526 ✭✭✭obi604

Bump.

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭Hairdo

Has anyone tried to get a refund due to covid 19? How did you go about it?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,902 ✭✭✭Rosita

Hairdo wrote: »
    Has anyone tried to get a refund due to covid 19? How did you go about it?

Have you tried emailing them? That's where I'd start anyway.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 6,262 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sheep Shagger

Rosita wrote: »
    Have you tried emailing them? That's where I'd start anyway.

info@bendunnegyms.com

They actually answer emails sent to that address too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,574 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

It says on their website that monthly DD membership payments were frozen and that annual memberships will be extended to give those members the full 12 months.

He said in the interview recently they would refund anyone that lost out through not having access.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,199 ✭✭✭PopTarts

They seem to have upped their prices.. I’m sure Blanchardstown was €25 per month before they closed.

Now advertised at €39 per month.

They’ve also got rid of all their pools.

With a huge amount of gyms in D15, I can’t see this getting them any new members.

• Registered Users Posts: 908 ✭✭✭Jayesdiem

Correct me if I’m wrong but isn’t Ben Dunne so scared of the coronavirus, he is refusing to open up again? I watched a video online over the weekend in which he listed about five different reasons his gyms were too unsafe to open up, such as warm shower areas promoting disease spread, and he remained adamant he wouldn’t be opening until a vaccine was found!!! Apparently the members aren’t happy and so he’s offered them refunds but is outright refusing to open up! The thing honestly came across as a comedy sketch about someone who’s so wrapped up in a health and safety fever dream, he’s lost all grip on reality. Is he trying to go out of business?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,409 ✭✭✭The Davestator

Jayesdiem wrote: »
    Correct me if I’m wrong but isn’t Ben Dunne so scared of the coronavirus, he is refusing to open up again? I watched a video online over the weekend in which he listed about five different reasons his gyms were too unsafe to open up, such as warm shower areas promoting disease spread, and he remained adamant he wouldn’t be opening until a vaccine was found!!! Apparently the members aren’t happy and so he’s offered them refunds but is outright refusing to open up! The thing honestly came across as a comedy sketch about someone who’s so wrapped up in a health and safety fever dream, he’s lost all grip on reality. Is he trying to go out of business?

Not exactly what he said - he said that when he reopened, there would not be showers as they were not safe. He is planning on opening just blanch but no date given yet.

Seems a strange one given most gyms are operating since 29th June.

Not exactly what he said - he said that when he reopened, there would not be showers as they were not safe. He is planning on opening just blanch but no date given yet.

Seems a strange one given most gyms are operating since 29th June.

But it was the question mark over ‘when’ that was notable. Again, I could be wrong but I think he is in the group of people waiting patiently for a vaccine?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,703 ✭✭✭Raoul

Well at least he is happy to to make a decision which he thinks is for the greater good rather than trying to make money where people are in unsafe conditions.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,298 ✭✭✭DareGod

Jayesdiem wrote: »
    But it was the question mark over ‘when’ that was notable. Again, I could be wrong but I think he is in the group of people waiting patiently for a vaccine?

Personally I'm completely in favour of Ben Dunne injecting himself with a vaccine that hasn't been properly tested to the usual standards, if that's what he wants to do.

Anyone who's taking health advice around vaccines from Ben Dunne... well, let's just call it natural selection.

And, of course, every gym in the country is wrong and Ben Dunne is right; don't forget that. *sarcasm detector explodes*

As some of the comments on Facebook pointed out, he is nothing but a gangster who is hiding behind a pandemic to carry out his true intentions.

He should have just been honest and said "I'm going to take this opportunity to make some changes to my business model, please bear with me" and accepted whatever backlash came with it. At least he might have retained some integrity that way.

Not a single person with half a brain believes what he's saying; and they absolutely shouldn't.

Raoul wrote: »
    Well at least he is happy to to make a decision which he thinks is for the greater good rather than trying to make money where people are in unsafe conditions.

But people aren’t unsafe and if they were, the correct measures could be made like every other gym in the western world.

DareGod wrote: »
    Personally I'm completely in favour of Ben Dunne injecting himself with a vaccine that hasn't been properly tested to the usual standards, if that's what he wants to do.

Anyone who's taking health advice around vaccines from Ben Dunne... well, let's just call it natural selection.

And, of course, every gym in the country is wrong and Ben Dunne is right; don't forget that. *sarcasm detector explodes*

As some of the comments on Facebook pointed out, he is nothing but a gangster who is hiding behind a pandemic to carry out his true intentions.

He should have just been honest and said "I'm going to take this opportunity to make some changes to my business model, please bear with me" and accepted whatever backlash came with it. At least he might have retained some integrity that way.

Not a single person with half a brain believes what he's saying; and they absolutely shouldn't.

I won’t comment on his “true” intentions because I genuinely don’t know what they are but I was most certainly not buying his mega hypochondriac/clean freak act he put across in that video. Obviously there are a lot of lockdown pacifists in Ireland who want the current situation to continue or are just irrationally afraid. He does not strike me as either of those things in reality.

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭Joey321

Ben Dunne has been trying to get rid of the pools and saunas for years, maybe he is using this pandemic as a way to do that.

Since it appeared in several posts here it's worth pointing out that Ben Dunne, in the communication mentioned in this thread, never mentioned a vaccine. He mentioned opening "when it is safe to do so". That's obviously a judgement call which could be interpreted as meaning waiting for a vaccine. But the person who reported him as mentioning a vaccine was imagining things or at least putting their own interpretation on it and presenting it as an actual opinion expressed. Better maybe to discuss what he actually said.

Rosita wrote: »
    Since it appeared in several posts here it's worth pointing out that Ben Dunne, in the communication mentioned in this thread, never mentioned a vaccine. He mentioned opening "when it is safe to do so". That's obviously a judgement call which could be interpreted as meaning waiting for a vaccine. But the person who reported him as mentioning a vaccine was imagining things or at least putting their own interpretation on it and presenting it as an actual opinion expressed. Better maybe to discuss what he actually said.

Bizarre post.

https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/id-rather-go-bust-than-bury-customers-ben-dunne-closes-gyms-doors-until-vaccine-or-treatment-for-covid-19-found-39376231.html

If I remember correctly, he also mentioned it - again - during one of his maniacal ranting videos on Facebook.

Not sure what you were hoping to achieve by trying to deny reality.

• Registered Users Posts: 798 ✭✭✭Yyhhuuu

DareGod wrote: »
    Bizarre post.

https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/id-rather-go-bust-than-bury-customers-ben-dunne-closes-gyms-doors-until-vaccine-or-treatment-for-covid-19-found-39376231.html

If I remember correctly, he also mentioned it - again - during one of his maniacal ranting videos on Facebook.

Not sure what you were hoping to achieve by trying to deny reality.

I truly believe Ben Dunne is a great Businessman. I know little about his gyms. Are his gyms considered the Ryanair of gyms ie great value due to high numbers.
    If so, perhaps his business model is difficult in light of covid? I dont know. I'm not sure why he cant reopen when many others can. Perhaps he should increase his prices to take account of increased costs and less customers permitted entry at one time in light of covid?. Obviously swimming pools are expensive to run. I wish Ben Dunne the very best of luck and hope he manages to reopen all his gyms when he feels it us safe to do so. He is an honourable businessman giving great employment.

I see Ben Dunne Gyms are inviting people in in September at one location anyway. Good to see that a vaccine has finally arrived (as apparently theses gyms weren't going to open without a vaccine). That ould virus was a devil while it lasted.

• Registered Users Posts: 209 ✭✭emy

Well, no Jacuzzi, sauna, swimming and showers available, as far as I know, no good & the price went up plus joining fee, discouraging people to join.

• Advertisement

Blanchardstown is re-opening on Monday the 14th, for anyone who wasn't aware.

It looks like it will actually be a good gym, imo, in spite of the increased prices, severely reduced facilities and the owner's tendency for corruption and lying.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,455 ✭✭✭caviardreams

What has the pricing gone up to out of interest?

I can see flyefit having to adjust their pricing a little in due course when they get a sense of membership drop-off etc

Advertisement