Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anywhere to get your Christmas turkey cooked?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭budgie412

Hammer89 wrote: »
    You've clearly done it before. Congratulations but those who don't have your experience aren't lazy so much as they are fortunate that they have never been in a position where they have had to do it themselves.

Pantry staff gone on strike?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,386 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

macnug wrote: »
    Well I wouldn't want to eat your turkey cause its 20 min per lb not kilo.

ah there is a little bit of skill, not so much in the cooking because that bit is easy, retaining the moisture takes a little bit of effort though.

Oops, typo, corrected now.

And I'm not saying there's absolutely no effort involved, but it's not exactly molecular gastronomy we're talking about here. If you can roast a chicken, you can roast a turkey. And anyone over the age of about 16 should be able to roast a chicken.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,478 ✭✭✭harr

Well I wouldn't want to eat your turkey cause its 20 min per lb not kilo.

ah there is a little bit of skill, not so much in the cooking because that bit is easy, retaining the moisture takes a little bit of effort though.

I have found going by the exact time per pound recommended leaves a turkey very dry.. I use turkey cooking bags and remove turkey bag for the last 30 minutes or so. Best thing is to purchase a meat thermometer, I have one you leave in the turkey and the digital clock is outside the oven. Set the temp you want the alarm to go off. 75 C in the deepest part of the turkey ...also let it rest for 15 minutes before carving and remember the turkey will continue cooking for a while when outside of the oven..

• Registered Users Posts: 27,321 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

It's a piece of piss. Stick a lemon and some garlic up it's arse, slather it in butter and then wrap it in streaky bacon. Cook it for 16 minutes per pound and then and extra 20 minutes at the end and for the last 30 minutes remove the bacon. Then let it stand for half an hour before slicing and you're golden.

Based on some comments here, I reckon some people have never had a well-cooked turkey. Most likely because it'll taste pretty ok covered in gravy.

Just firing it in the oven is a waste.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 619 ✭✭✭macnug

Dial Hard wrote: »

And I'm not saying there's absolutely no effort involved, but it's not exactly molecular gastronomy we're talking about here. If you can roast a chicken, you can roast a turkey. And anyone over the age of about 16 should be able to roast a chicken.

Yea your right but we live in different times now. Im a man and ive been cooking for myself since I was twelve, Ive got nieces and nephews that couldn't make frozen pizza without burning it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,814 ✭✭✭harry Bailey esq

GBX wrote: »
    Throw it on the shopping trolley bbq as northsiders are used to

Ignore that stupid comment op, I'm the chef of the homestead. If the worst comes to the worst, I'll happily give you a dig out and cook it for you. Only downside, I don't drive so you'd have to deliver the raw bird and collect it cooked. I'm based on Skerries Rd, North County Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

OP ask your local butchers. someone here buys her turkey fully cooked by the butcher. They will know.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,003 ✭✭✭Hammer89

Dial Hard wrote: »

It wasn't a typo lol. You're just not the expert you claim to be, but that's alright because most people here haven't got a clue either, despite what they say. Look at everyone, mainly men, pretending that they do theirs or their family's Christmas dinner every year.

Come off it lads. If you had the choice between paying someone to do it or cooking it yourself for the very first time, risking several peoples' Christimas dinner, then you's would take the easy but safe option. Fortunately that's also the logical option, so enough of the butler jokes.

harr wrote: »
    I have found going by the exact time per pound recommended leaves a turkey very dry.. I use turkey cooking bags and remove turkey bag for the last 30 minutes or so. Best thing is to purchase a meat thermometer, I have one you leave in the turkey and the digital clock is outside the oven. Set the temp you want the alarm to go off. 75 C in the deepest part of the turkey ...also let it rest for 15 minutes before carving and remember the turkey will continue cooking for a while when outside of the oven..

Never tired the bag, I like to but herb infused butter under the skin to help keep breast moist, I usually let it rest for at least an hour with tin foil and a towel over but everone has there own ways for doing it.

• Advertisement

Ignore that stupid comment op, I'm the chef of the homestead. If the worst comes to the worst, I'll happily give you a dig out and cook it for you. Only downside, I don't drive so you'd have to deliver the raw bird and collect it cooked. I'm based on Skerries Rd, North County Dublin.

Well this is class. This is what Christmas is about. It's about helping complete strangers in times of strife. It isn't about calling people 'lazy c*nts' online for no reason. I appreciate the offer - honestly - but there other options. Thank you.

Hammer89 wrote: »
    It wasn't a typo lol. You're just not the expert you claim to be, but that's alright because most people here haven't got a clue either, despite what they say. Look at everyone, mainly men, pretending that they do theirs or their family's Christmas dinner every year.

Come off it lads. If you had the choice between paying someone to do it or cooking it yourself for the very first time, risking several peoples' Christimas dinner, then you's would take the easy but safe option. Fortunately that's also the logical option, so enough of the butler jokes.

If I was rich enough to have a chef cook it for me from fresh I would, wouldnt get it cooked and eat it frozen though. If I couldn't cook id go to hotel or in-laws or something.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,903 ✭✭✭✭GBX

:rolleyes: How dare you suggest somebody ignore my comment. Bah humbug

If I was rich enough to have a chef cook it for me from fresh I would, wouldnt get it cooked and eat it frozen though. If I couldn't cook id go to hotel or in-laws or something.

I'm not rich it's about €17 extra.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 13,425 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

Are you not contradicting yourself?

I worded that wrong.

You can defrost raw meat. Cook it. And refreeze

Advertisement