Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dog hit by car - Hit & Run - seeking advice *Mod warning post #50*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,550 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

That's where I found her, in the ditch, she goes straight to that spot whenever I brought her for walks. I didn't see the car, only heard it all, and from my experience that is the sound of a car towing a trailer, can even remember hearing all the things rattling in the back of it, very distinct sound. But, I'm not going to be mentioning that to Guards as I can't prove it. But my Gut instinct and my head tells me that was a car towing a trailer.

So she was coming back from the pub with someone, and don't ya know she is no stranger to the sup there herself, wink wink and you could hear a trailer, saw nathin boss, but heard it. No dog here sir, no dog ever here.

Your either making this all up, are not ready for the big world or are probably used to dealing with Guards at your door.

I'm interested to figure it out.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,282 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

arccosh wrote: »
    the easiest answer here is... what dog?

or own up and be a decent human being and pay to fix the damage caused....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 HappyChappy93

sham58107 wrote: »
    Maybe the driver did not realise they even hit the dog, if there was noise as you say.
    Completely stupid to claim it was hit and run, you should just pay for damage.

Don't know you gave you details on what happened before, but years ago I hit a dog ( bigger than yours) in the dark in country, went to dog owner, and he said I was speeding !! then he refused to pay so I went to garage and got quote for damage was about € 700 , dog owner did not want to know so he said go to court or through his insurance, which I did, it cost him a lot more than € 900 as insurance company ( mine ) insisted on all new parts and main dealer doing the work.

Sorry about your dog , and yes maybe driver should have stopped, but just pay the €150 and het a new dog and enjoy Christmas

But in your situation, you went to the owner. Did you stop after you hit the dog?

This case, the driver did not stop at all. She could have crashed on a completely different road, different day, there's no proof whatsoever that my dog dinted her car. The main issue isn't the money, it's the principal. Whose to stop her from knocking on our door again with other issues that may have happened weeks prior.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

This case, the driver did not stop at all. She could have crashed on a completely different road, different day, there's no proof whatsoever that my dog dinted her car. The main issue isn't the money, it's the principal. Whose to stop her from knocking on our door again with other issues that may have happened weeks prior.

I'm making no further comment but having read all your posts you and the driver are equally pathetic in your respective behaviour. Next time secure your animals, your dog is dead due to your negligence.

A decent human being stops the car when they've hit a dog outside a row of houses. I never said I didn't have a dog, or that my dog wasn't hit, I'm simply asking the question "Why didn't you stop and inform me and the authorities?" Why should I pay her when she didn't bother informing me about it until she saw me and the first thing she said was that the guards are involved. Not how you deal with people, that's how you cause offence.

• Advertisement

I'm making no further comment but having read all your posts you and the driver are equally pathetic in your respective behaviour. Next time secure your animals, your dog is dead due to your negligence.

Thanks for that insightful comment. Happy Christmas.

Hoboo wrote: »
    I'd tell her where to go in no uncertain terms. She should have stopped and reported the damage immediately (let alone see how your dog was). Failed to stop, it's her tough luck, could have been a pheasant for all she knows. And tell everyone you know. What a heartless bitch.

It is to a court of law it would be taken not an ISPCA committee, no disrespect to the great work they do.

Given the person liking a post about saying no dog, what dog. I'm guessing they have no licence for the dog, maybe have hidden the dog body.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭Foweva Awone

You're completely in the wrong. Do the right thing and pay for the damage you caused to her car.

Maybe consider whether you're responsible enough to look after a pet before you get another one. I'm sorry to hear your poor dog suffered so much as a result of your actions.

Danzy wrote: »
    It is to a court of law it would be taken not an ISPCA committee, no disrespect to the great work they do.

Given the person liking a post about saying no dog, what dog. I'm guessing they have no licence for the dog, maybe have hidden the dog body.

I've hidden the dogs body? is that what you're saying about me, well no in fact I've had her cremated by the vet and will be getting her ashes back, no need to be so insensitive or insulting when you know nothing about me. I liked the post cause I found it humorous, how you can determine all that is amazing, you should be a detective.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,292 ✭✭✭em_cat

While I do have sympathy for you OP for losing your pet, ultimately it is your responsibility to secure your dog at all times.

By all means speak to a solicitor, but in the end, your dog caused the accident, while there may contributory negligence on the driver, you will most likely still end up paying costs to them.

Also remember that if the driver expects you to pay for damage, they will need to prove your dog caused the damage.

• Advertisement

This is obviously a story, to pass a wet evening , I'm not knocking that.

I was just worried that you couldn't see how you were as wrong as hell and fortunate that she knew you, a stranger could have gone full pelt on you.

Enjoy.

Danzy wrote: »
    This is obviously a story, to pass a wet evening , I'm not knocking that.

I was just worried that you couldn't see how you were as wrong as hell and fortunate that she knew you, a stranger could have gone full pelt on you.

Enjoy.

I take responsibility for not making sure the dog was secured, even though the gates were closed, but Yes ofcourse I failed in the duty of care of that dog, I've paid for that the hard way, after 8 years of doing the same routine you never expect it. I won't let anyone say I treated that dog badly or neglected it, or no least hidden the body.

If she had come to me on the night or even morning after and talked about it, it would have been better, but the fact she left it 2 full days then came guns blazing and demanding money from me after what I went through with the vets and the euthanasia , it was very bad in my eyes. I simply came her for advice, not to be insulted and ridiculed. The guards are involved only so far as she said they were involved and I am going to see if it was reported and what the options are. 150 is nothing when it comes to car damage, but having said that, this is a dint that could be popped back to place if she wanted, why demand 150 a week before xmas when she kept driving.

• Registered Users Posts: 316 ✭✭Mikefitzs

Happy, Have a look here at the law. She can do nothing. In fact she has committed an offence by not stopping and remaining at the scene to inform authorities. Forget about it and get another dog. Happy Christmas.
    http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/eli/1961/act/24/section/106/enacted/en/html
    Contact a solicitor if you need clarification.

Just a passenger

• Registered Users Posts: 18,490 ✭✭✭✭kippy

This, to me, is an interesting one.
    Obviously the dog owner is liable for damage caused by their dog but seeing as the vehicle didn't stop who is to ascertain that:
    1. The vehicle the damage is to is the one which ran into the dog?
    2. That the vehicle ran into the OP's dog?

There don't appear to be any witnesses to this event.
    Granted the figures involved are relatively small so it is probably 'easier' just settle but tbh I think the OP is within their rights not to play ball.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 907 ✭✭✭Alpha_zero

2 days have passed since the incident happened, without being reported which immediately weakens their claim as it could be argued that damage was incurred during that period.

Also it can be presented that this person attempted to extort money after allowing a period of 2 days to lapse since the damage was caused.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,444 ✭✭✭KevRossi

OP - What kind of a car does she have and how far up the bumper is the dent? Try to find a similar pic online and explain to us where the dent is.

How big was your dog? Is it a toy King Charles or a bigger one?

I mean here, would the height of the dog match the height of the dent?

An experienced accident assesor or a decent panel beater would have an idea if the knock was fresh or older, do you know one by any chance?

The accident, (if it was to her car), is your fault, but if you believe it wasn't her then you can chase it a bit, maybe call her bluff and tell her to take you to court.

Sorry to hear about your dog BTW, accidents like this happen, no matter how careful we are.

But remember 2 days have passed what if said damage happened during this time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

You are liable for damage your dog causes while uncontrolled.
    However she left the scene and has no evidence your dog causes damage to that particular vehicle.

I wouldn't be paying her a cent.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,942 ✭✭✭Cherry Blossom

When threads like this come up, lots of people who have never posted in this forum feel the need to make comment. Please be aware that you are all required to be respectful to each other. If you feel the need for name calling or personal abuse, you are not welcome on this forum. I would also urge posters to report posts they have a problem with rather than responding to them onthread and continuing the argument. Mods will take action where appropriate.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,011 ✭✭✭Pipmae

She left the scene of an accident. She has no proof whatsoever. If it was me she could sing (or bark/howl) for the money and I wouldn't pay up. I do understand the responsibilities re owning a dog but faced with that insensitive bitch I would absolutely not play ball. Ignore her from now on.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,274 ✭✭✭cocker5

So sorry for the loss of your dog OP but you are both at fault here .. you should have a secure garden and yes she should have stopped (poor morale decision on her part) BUT you are responsible for any damage to her car ..

Sorry again OP horrible situation all round

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

People need to leave the emotion out of the conversation. It's irrelevant.

I hit a dog a few years ago that slipped it's collar.
    Dog bounced under the car and died.
    While I stopped and had every sympathy for the guy and his child. If damage had been done to my car i'd have handed him the bill.

I got a dog last week and am securing my boundaries.

I've a large run on the way to put him in.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,384 ✭✭✭h2005

You are responsible if she can prove that she hit your dog. Can she prove it? Doesn’t sound like it to me

• Registered Users Posts: 582 ✭✭✭CiarraiAbu2

She has no proof it was your dog, nothing will come it

• Registered Users Posts: 1,239 ✭✭✭physioman

If you pay the 150 euro you are claiming liability and she could take you to court. You were daft to let your dog out on the road and equally she was silly not to ring the gardai after hitting your dog. Just ignore her and let her proceed with a civil action but she won't win. Yee bit have learned your lessons so move on

There is no way she can prove the damage was caused by hitting the dog. The essence of the law is innocent until proven guilty and provided you have not admitted guilt let her produce some proof. your dog was killed 2 days ago by an unknown speeding car that kept on driving.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,139 ✭✭✭T-Maxx

A lot of legal experts on here. My advice - do the right thing. You are responsible for the damage caused by your dog.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,783 ✭✭✭✭Panthro

See if she's a dash cam. If not, whatshegunado

• Registered Users Posts: 2,162 ✭✭✭sonofenoch

She knows she hit something and didn't stop ......could have been a kid

f#$k her ...tell her to do one

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,490 ✭✭✭✭kippy

T-Maxx wrote: »
    A lot of legal experts on here. My advice - do the right thing. You are responsible for the damage caused by your dog.

I don't think the OP is arguing this point. But this incident is not as simple as a one liner.

Advertisement