Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What have you watched recently? 3D!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

I tried watching Love(very graphic) on Netflix. Dull and dreary arthouse and only lasted 20m with it.
    I've also watched the two Stallone Escape Plan films. Silly nonsense but quite passable. Might be a little violent for some.
    All the Devil's Men. Not great back-ops/CIA thing in Netflix but relatively short.
    The Force Awakens - enough said.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,193 ✭✭✭TomSweeney

Stand By Me Fantastic film
    Always get so sad at the last 10 mins when he is just talking about how he drifted apart from his childhood friends, and of course the news about Chris.

Stephen King writes so well about childhood friendships, he had a similar theme in It about how the 7 changed after that summer.

And then of course what happened to River Phoenix, so sad only 23, good looking actor ... had it ALL!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,900 ✭✭✭Sugarlumps

Heredity - Hilarious movie. Great cast, stark location.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,065 ✭✭✭otnomart

Blaze.
    "A reimagining of the life and times of Blaze Foley, the unsung songwriting legend of the Texas Outlaw Music movement".
    Director: Ethan Hawke
    Stars: Ben Dickey, Alia Shawkat, Charlie Sexton

Best movie I have seen in months

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Watched Juanita. Quite misfiring and disjointed premise despite the presence of the ever excellent Alfre Woodard. One of those short Netflix films.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 548 ✭✭✭barrymanilow

Gremlins 2 The New Batch

Big

Watched these last week , both well worth a watch if your an eighties kid who hasn't seen them since. They are both refreshingly un PC , littered with huge pot holes and delivered a lot of great belly laughs. Made me wonder if people had a better sense of humor or were more laid back in the eighties , simpler times I suppose.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,998 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Watched 2 of the biggies of this last year:

A Star is Born and Green Book.

Thought the former was good. Not great, but solid enough. Good performances all round, but maybe not my kind of film? I absolutely detest that Shallow song, so that doesn't help.
    Probably a 7/10 for me

Green Book a different matter. Really enjoyed this and thought it was the best film I've seen in quite a while. Fantastic from both main characters, a 8.5/10 for me. Maybe even a 9/10. Didn't realise it would be so funny.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,676 ✭✭✭buried

Arrival (2016) - Really really enjoyable tack this is. Just perfectly executed and paced, great to see a film done to the one hour thirty minute mark again. Fantastic soundtrack to go with this too,
    That scene with the first flyover glimpse of the craft on the edge of the clouds with that glorious synthy, whale cry sounding score is really brilliant
    Just a great balance of mystery and entertainment infused with a feeling of empathy towards the main protagonist. This is how it should be done. Really great. Watched on Netflix but have bought the Blu-ray anyways. 8/10

"You have disgraced yourselves again" - W. B. Yeats

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭Disposable1

otnomart wrote: »
    Blaze.
    "A reimagining of the life and times of Blaze Foley, the unsung songwriting legend of the Texas Outlaw Music movement".
    Director: Ethan Hawke
    Stars: Ben Dickey, Alia Shawkat, Charlie Sexton

Best movie I have seen in months

Glad to hear it. The trailer looked great, this review is going to make me track it down as soon as possible

• Registered Users Posts: 981 ✭✭✭Lionbacker

Watched "Burning" last night in the Triskel in Cork.
    How this didn't get nominated for best foreign language film at the Oscars baffles me.
    Absolutely absorbing movie, among the very best I've seen in years, with a great cast & superb cinematography.

A 10/10 for me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,292 ✭✭✭✭branie2

The Aftermath at the cinema this evening; I thought it was very good

Wildlife

Fantastic Drama , family turmoil seen through the lens of a boy on the edge of manhhod, set in 50/60s middle America , moving , touching , real , full of flawed humanity , a real piece of art.

Hurt Locker - Boring storyline, phone in acting. Don't get the love for this film.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,911 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

^
    Agree. Never understood the acclaim that has been heaped upon that film. Incredibly overrated, I think.

Anyone ever witnessed this atrocity? Beckinsale would be all over this as she can't act. But the other four have clout.

Gary Oldman
    Peter Dinklage
    Patricia Arquette
    Kate Beckinsale
    Matthew McConaughey

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 158 ✭✭joombo

Free Solo was excellent.

Despite knowing the outcome, it was still on the edge of your seat stuff. Unreal
    The Dawn Wall was pretty good, but after watching Free Solo, I just didnt feel the risk element with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,581 ✭✭✭✭The Princess Bride

I've just watched Butch Cassidy and The Sundance Kid, my first time seeing it.
    What a gem, William Goldman was a superb writer, with a great sense of humour.
    Highly recommended, (on Now TV).

• Registered Users Posts: 18,911 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

:mad: I can't swim!

:pac: Are you crazy...the fall will probably kill ya!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,423 ✭✭✭batgoat

I've just watched Butch Cassidy and The Sundance Kid, my first time seeing it.

The Raindrops Keep Falling on my Head moment is both wonderfully out of place and entertaining.

Cold Pursuit at the cinema yesterday; I thought it was very good.

• Advertisement

I've just watched Butch Cassidy and The Sundance Kid, (1969) my first time seeing it.

I am leading the William Goldman appreciation society this week.

All The President's Men today, (1976)- (YOUTUBE).
    Another excellent film, the way the ending is presented in particular, followed by the credits and no music drowning it, is very effective.

Now to rewatch Marathon Man.(1976)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭Gwynplaine

Put on 'Searching' earlier. Had to turn it off after 15 minutes. Maybe some people love it, but, not for me.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 16,287 Mod ✭✭✭✭quickbeam

Have you read Adventures of the Screen Trade, TPB? Well worth it. Lots of insight into the films William Goldman was involved in.

Tony EH wrote: »
    :mad: I can't swim!

:pac: Are you crazy...the fall will probably kill ya!

Oooohhhh, Sh**********!

quickbeam wrote: »
    Have you read Adventures of the Screen Trade, TPB? Well worth it. Lots of insight into the films William Goldman was involved in.

Ahem, have you seen my username?
    Don't you know who I am?

(Joking, thank you, I shall have a look. I love the way his mind worked, it appeals to the satirist in me.)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 158 ✭✭joombo

A Prayer Before Dawn (2017)

Good prison flick - based on a true story. 7/10.

• Registered Users Posts: 871 ✭✭✭Captain Red Beard

Dragged Across Concrete. Slow paced, noirish cops n robbers chicanery that is well worth a look.

Lionbacker wrote: »
    Watched "Burning" last night in the Triskel in Cork.
    How this didn't get nominated for best foreign language film at the Oscars baffles me.
    Absolutely absorbing movie, among the very best I've seen in years, with a great cast & superb cinematography.

A 10/10 for me.

saw it yesterday , best film I have seen in ages , starts of seeming kind of boring but it gets its hooks into you and you end up hanging on every scene

To live and die in LA 1985

Surprised that this isn't a bit of a cult classic really. Directed by William Friedkin who did the famous French Connection.
    Well worth a watch. Starts off a bit kitsch but very good and features amongst other things a fantastic car chase. Ending is non-standard also. Great gritty 1980's LA scenery. Features a young Willem Dafoe and John Tarturro.

8/10

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,560 ✭✭✭Mizu_Ger

Piercing
    Adapted from a book by the guy who wrote Audition and you get what you'd expect. It's only 80 minutes long and entertaining, but I was left wondering what the point of it was at the end. I feel like giving it another watch in a few months time. The design of the exteriors (stylised models of apartments blocks, streets etc) was well done.

Les Diaboliques
    Another classic that I had never seen until now. I thought I knew what the story was about, but that was all done in the first 30 minutes
    ie. two women plot to kill a man
    . The rest of the film wound up the tension to a fantastic ending. Genuine edge-of-the-seat stuff. Well worth it.

Advertisement