Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What have you watched recently? 3D!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,815 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Chris is one of the main actors in NCIS LA. But, yeah, he disappeared for a while before that.

CastorTroy wrote: »
    Chris is one of the main actors in NCIS LA. But, yeah, he disappeared for a while before that.

exactly

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Hollywood always has a need for passing blandly handsome "leading" men. More recently you have the likes of Jai Courtney or Charlie Hunnam. Chris Pratt floats close to that orbit IMO, saved only by his decent comedic charisma.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,924 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

Scent of a Woman

Had never managed to see this before. Its great. Very moving Drama and laugh out loud in places too. Pacino in his Prime before he became sort of overused. Has that refreshing unPCness that older movies have.

8.5/10

LOL "older movies".

shit, I'm old.

• Registered Users Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

Tony EH wrote: »
    LOL "older movies".

shit, I'm old.

If I could thank this twice, I would.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 548 ✭✭✭barrymanilow

Lots and lots of hoo ah's

In fairness he was playing a Colonel in the US Marines so I'll forgive most of those hoo ahs

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,078 ✭✭✭IAMAMORON

Million Dollar Baby.

Tissues advised.

The Remains of the Day.

It is a masterpiece.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Money Train 1997

Got about 40 minutes into it and just said "enough already where's the ****ing Money Train?" Did it turn up?

Money Train 1997

Got about 40 minutes into it and just said "enough already where's the ****ing Money Train?" Did it turn up?

took a look at that recently

has aged really badly in all senses - terrible script, cinematography etc

turned it off after a similar timeframe

it's 1995 btw

• Registered Users Posts: 31,857 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

I watched a random 90s Denzel film called Fallen which has been added to Amazon Prime.
    Great cast John Goodman and Donald Sutherland.
    It is badly dated I have to say, some of the camera work is odd to say the least, I am usually a sucker for a good cop thriller
    especially with a bit of the supernatural twist. The twist ending was horribly telegraphed. A mess...give it a miss
    Denzel is good though!
    Can't recommend it....4/10

• Advertisement

Walkabout 1970 One of those 'could never make this today' movies about a girl and her little brother who's father drives them to the outback to kill before he shoots himself, but they escape and end up wandering the outback trying to survive. Befriending an aboriginal who is on the traditional 'walkabout' and continuing their journey.
    The girl is presented as a school girl, fortunately she was 21 though at the time the movie was released because to say there is a weird sleazy vibe to the direction would be an understatement. You actually feel the director is a real sleaze and its a bit uncomfortable as the impression is the girl is about 16 in the film.
    There is a lot of hunting scenes that are very brutal. In the first one there is a clever switch to a butcher shop highlighting that what we do in reality is no less brutal then hunting in the wild, but it does get quite a bit more brutal and tough to watch. Actually this movie rated PG on imdb which is a bit bizarre to say the least.
    There are a lot of elements to it that are very good though, and its an interesting way to pass a few hours for sure.

Possessor 2020 Brandon Cronenbergs new film is a great concept. Excellent special affects reminiscent of his fathers work in many ways. Actual old school special affects instead of CGI. It takes a while to get going, but it feels like something like this is not far from the realms of possibility at all - using a device to take over someone's mind and get them to do things for you.
    There is some pretty brutal violence towards the end. Overall a good effort and nice to see a serious film in this genre devoid of cliche and the neediness to be liked by the masses.

Greenland 2020 Very decent disaster flick which cleverly pulls on the heart strings to bring you in. Probably something like this is particularly engaging these days since anything really seems possible in terms of disasters that might strike the world. Would have been good to see in the cinema, but those days may well be gone!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Jenny Agutter was 17 when Walkabout was filmed

• Registered Users Posts: 18,924 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

Walkabout 1970 One of those 'could never make this today' movies about a girl and her little brother who's father drives them to the outback to kill before he shoots himself, but they escape and end up wandering the outback trying to survive. Befriending an aboriginal who is on the traditional 'walkabout' and continuing their journey.
    The girl is presented as a school girl, fortunately she was 21 though at the time the movie was released because to say there is a weird sleazy vibe to the direction would be an understatement. You actually feel the director is a real sleaze and its a bit uncomfortable as the impression is the girl is about 16 in the film.
    There is a lot of hunting scenes that are very brutal. In the first one there is a clever switch to a butcher shop highlighting that what we do in reality is no less brutal then hunting in the wild, but it does get quite a bit more brutal and tough to watch. Actually this movie rated PG on imdb which is a bit bizarre to say the least.
    There are a lot of elements to it that are very good though, and its an interesting way to pass a few hours for sure.

I remember seeing this one afternoon on the tele when I was a kid, while off of school sick. I don't think the channel knew what it was putting on.

Jenny Agutter was 17 when Walkabout was filmed

Could never make it today!

• Registered Users Posts: 85,121 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

I watched Holidate on Netflix, Emma Roberts despite her age just looks too young for a romantic lead, Luke Bracey reminded me of a Hemsworth, another ex Home and Away actor doing ok in America, usual jokes etc.,

Trial of the Chicago 7

Decent enough but also a bit turgid due to the avalanche of dialogue a la Sorkin cranked to the max.
    Could have done with a little more of location variety notwithstanding the title.
    Baron Cohen and Redmayne good in it.

6 / 10

• Registered Users Posts: 2,490 ✭✭✭flasher0030

Going through a bit of a patchy spell with last few films:-

21 Bridges - Got decent reviews. Thought it would be a bit of a thrill. Fairly rubbish. Extremely predictable.

Cube - Tiny bit like Saw. Wake up in unknown place. Need to solve puzzle to get out. I think it must have been sympathetic reviews. The thinnest of plot lines I've even seen running through a film. Basically nothing happens except the humans shout and get violent with each other.

Possessor - A little bit more interesting than the previous 2. Lots of gore but that didn't put me off. The movie as a whole just wasn't up to much. Little dream type sequences and pretty music to camouflage it into arty type genre. But not a lot going on overall.

Need to get back on the "good movie" bandwagon soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,118 ✭✭✭shrapnel222

Possessor - A little bit more interesting than the previous 2. Lots of gore but that didn't put me off. The movie as a whole just wasn't up to much. Little dream type sequences and pretty music to camouflage it into arty type genre. But not a lot going on overall.

Previous 2? Antiviral and ?

Previous 2? Antiviral and ?

The previous 2 movies that I referred to in the post - 21 Bridges and Cube.

No, haven't seen antiviral. I'll be giving it a miss.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,118 ✭✭✭shrapnel222

The previous 2 movies that I referred to in the post - 21 Bridges and Cube.

No, haven't seen antiviral. I'll be giving it a miss.

ah right sorry. i misunderstood. Personally really enjoyed possessor. Antiviral is a little rough around the edges but a crazy story nonetheless

• Advertisement

ah right sorry. i misunderstood. Personally really enjoyed possessor. Antiviral is a little rough around the edges but a crazy story nonetheless

Ya, I can see how it could appeal. Maybe I wasn't in right frame of mind for it. Late on a Sunday night. not the most ideal.
    I just found it rather empty.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,661 ✭✭✭El Gato De Negocios

My Cousin Vinny

Joe Pesci plays a rough personal injury lawyer tasked with defending his cousin and cousins pal against a murder charge in buttfcuk Alabama. I probably havnt seen this since it came out (in 92 FFS :( ) but I enjoyed it as much now as I did then. The script is tight with some really good lines in it, all the cast are very watchable, Pesci is excellent and doesnt overegg things with his sometimes hyperactive style. Star of the show for me though was Fred (Herman Munster) Gwynne in what proved to be his final role, as the surly court judge that clashes with Pesci from the get go, the chemistry between them is brilliant and he has a real air of a dominant figure. All in all a very enjoyable watch and one i will come back to again at some point in the future.

8/10

Bastille Day / The Take 2016

One of those thrillers that literally defines the "Americans saving everyone" criticisms in movies. Set in Paris but all the bad guys are French and all the good guys are American (led by Idris Elba playing an American CIA punter). Really clichéd beyond even the above point and just doesn't have enough budget to look slick.

4.8 / 10

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Eddie the Eagle (2015)

A solid example about how even the most overused cliché can have its place: that no matter how hoary any might seem to be - especially when it comes to sports underdog narratives - when they're executed with this much earnest, full-hearted sincerity & cheer, the end result remains an unreserved joy. That hitting all the tropes this confidently only lifts the final film. A "feel good" movie that lived up to that term.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,378 ✭✭✭kerplun k

Underwater.

All hail king Cthulhu

• Registered Users Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭vriesmays

Everlasting piece - about two wig salesmen in the North. I think Billy Connolly was supposed to be Michael Stone and one of the salesmen was supposed to be Jimmy Rabbitte.

• Registered Users Posts: 684 ✭✭✭al87987

Queen and slim - 7/10

About a tinder date that spirals out of control. Could have shaved 15 mins off but good film. Daniel Kaluuya picks his roles very well.

Shattered glass - 7/10

Hayden Christensen as a young journalist who fabricated half of his stories.

The silent Partner - 8/10

A bank teller anticipates a bank robbery and steals the money himself first. Leads to a cat and chase with the would be bank robber.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,819 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Spiderman: Into the Spider verse

Not a fan of superhero movies. I'd rate the best Marvel films as enjoyable at their very best. Spider verse on the other hand is brilliant. It's a thoroughly enjoyable watch and visually stunning. The script is great and had me laughing at a lot of the jokes. The fact that it remains cohesive considering all the craziness going on is a testament to the scriptwriter and direction. It also doubles as a coming of age tale with a lot of heart. My only regret is watching this on Netflix as the codec struggled to keep up with how colourful the film is.

The post credit sequence was the cherry on top.

So it wasn't just me all along, superhero movies need to be better.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,926 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Spiderman: Into the Spider verse
    My only regret is watching this on Netflix as the codec struggled to keep up with how colourful the film is.

I don't know if it's what you're referring to, so ignore if it's not, but I know there was some deliberate distortion with the colours to make it look like in the old comic books when the printing plates didn't line up quite right.

I actually found some of it hard to watch because the effect was something similar to the visual aura I get before a migraine. Took me about an hour to convince my brain that's not what was happening :D

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,819 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

No, it was very obvious macro blocking. Happens with very colourful scenes with high contrast between colours, video compression has a hard time dealing with it. It wasn't the film it was the codec

Advertisement