Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What have you watched recently? 3D!

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Rififi (1955)

The darkest film with the silliest (sounding) name.

The heist genre as we know it now has somewhat crystallised into one of the slicker, glossier forms of blockbuster entertainment out there; with a predominance of Robin Hood set-ups, loveable rogues putting one over contemptible antagonists, where the theft of their wealth is mere karmic punishment for Act 1 villainy. The first three Oceans films stand as the high watermark of the cinematic heist played out as an extremely arresting, almost aspirational & cool crowd-pleasing thrill-ride. Interpersonal drama or twists would often be part of the machine or Last act Rug-pull; acrimony usually limited to one Con Artist getting one over another, raw emotional collateral damage non-existent. Indeed the heist film has become a bit of vicarious anarchy as flawed-but-loveable heroes get one over The Man. So all my waffling in mind, here came Rififi: prototypical to a lot of the precision engineered thievery we'd later see; still something of a pinnacle in the cinematic execution of a heist; and something of a thematic cold shower where its surprisingly bleak worldview & tone left everything feeling grubby - not glossy. 

From what I can see, this has enjoyed a bump in interest & a renaissance through a bit of retrospective appreciation as a true progenitor for nearly every "Heist Caper" film since; and assessing the film purely by that specific set-piece, I can see why it's argued as a lasting Best in Class example of the tension derived from watching experts efficiently - but slowly - dismantle a jewellery store's security. It was an unbroken sequence that lasted silent for 30+ minutes, with neither soundtrack played nor dialogue spoken through the whole enterprise. Nor were there any narrative cheats, showy gadgets, swagger or bravado by the characters. Indeed there was little flourish from the cinematography either: just a taut masterclass of professionals doing what they do with something akin to hardened efficiency. It was gripping stuff by dint of its own stripped-down nature.

Perhaps ultimately that's the key concept when it comes to this genre's mechanics: efficiency. Not so much a cinematic structure wherein nothing can go wrong, but the fundamental syncopation that occurs when you put an array of cunning, contrasting experts together and watch them figure it all out on the fly. Yet showboating for its own sake can be thrilling but also hollow; there's little satisfaction from clenched tension finally released when the problems were solved without stress or any smarts. And while the heist itself was relatively pain-free, the lead up in Rififi had some great moments of real-time problem solving as the thieves tried to figure their way around then state-of-the-art technology. It was akin to a procedural drama, albeit told from the other side of the societal fence.

Given I mentioned the series already, this was perhaps why the attempted franchise restart Ocean's 8 failed so badly (and why anyone reading this probably forgot it existed 'til now). The script forgot to make any particular scenario especially taxing or nerve-wracking; every problem that came up had an immediate solution, sometimes a mere tap on the keyboard. And while the former 3 Ocean's movies rarely flirted with true disaster, their scripts often at least subverted that sense of crisis management with retroactive flourishes, where what went wrong was part of the plan all along.

All that said, if I keep comparing Rififi with the Ocean's movies it's certainly not 'cos the older movie's criminals were lovable scamps screwing over a larger & more morally questionable antagonist: these were pragmatic tradesman jumping at the chance at an irresistible payout, the victim immaterial in their thoughts against the lure of the reward.

These were actions born from boilerplate, straight-shooting greed in an already violently pragmatic & seedy world; a world of drugs, beatings, shootings and where kidnapping occurred in broad daylight on a crowded street. And that greed inevitably overrode senses, proving the downfall when it all invariably untangled. And as if to underline the cynical beating heart at the centre of the film, the undoing was born from boyish, previously gleeful infatuation: unrequited love aggressively punished; the moment of realisation in the eyes of the character as pathetic as it was tragic. As the saying goes, no good deed goes unpunished and the back half of this film was a procession of almost nihilistic glee. Ultimately, we would watch as everything turned to ash, and all the professional craft of the crew would fall apart as the ugliness of reality caught up with each of them. The final scene was superficially "good" sure - a life saved and removed from the orbit of a criminal world - but the price paid left the victory truly pyrrhic

• Registered Users Posts: 761 ✭✭✭Pdoghue

Agreed. Such a brilliant film. Can see why why it won the Palme D'or. And now available to rent on Google Movies.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,687 ✭✭✭buried

Carlitos Way (1993)

One of the greatest and one of the most underrated films of the 1990's. Brian de Palmas entertaining gangster movie concerning the Puerto Rican underworld of New York is one of the most entertaining films Al Pacino was ever involved in, but every single person involved in this thing just puts in a truly epic performance, from Sean Penn, Luiz Guzman all the way to Viggo Mortensen and John Leguizamo, the whole thing is just dripping with a fantastic flow concerning the criminal underworld that's highly intelligent and also highly, highly, laugh your arse off entertaining. I hadn't seen it in years and had totally forgotten about it, but its as better now as it was back then, 9/10

"You have disgraced yourselves again" - W. B. Yeats

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Manhunter (1986)

With the Hopkins starring vehicles becoming the dominant emphasis in the "Hannibal Lecter Shared Universe" - which must be the oddest of all franchises - this early-doors Michael Mann feature has become a bit of a black sheep in some ways; while in other respects, its existence as a footnote was perhaps somewhat self-wrought? This wasn't a film without charms or nuance, and certainly the main components that lifted it all out of pure 1980s schlock were where Mann's predominant thematic obsessions and technical approaches shone through.

Mann's almost mythic use of protagonists with an obsessive, often self-destructive drive towards their chosen profession was in full show - and perhaps never more precarious, psychologically speaking - than with William Peterson's brooding Will Graham. Vincent Hanna might have been off his head on coke, but at least he wasn't identifying with the murderers he chased; I did think the concept of a profiler getting into the headspace of the killer, thus revealing insights and eureka moments otherwise missed, was and remains a bit of a daft concept but it was to the credit of Peterson and Mann that they executed with enough sobriety to make it work. It was all a bit surface level mind you, the corruptive effect not seemingly as pronounced as the script liked to declare it.

Perhaps then the most gripping part of the whole film was the direct, linear thrills of watching Graham and his colleagues workshopping the mystery of the Tooth Fairy from their (impossibly stylish) office. The best scene within all that a literal ticking clock as they tried to divine meaning in a found message they had to return to Lektor's cell before the prisoner realised it was discovered; that love of procedural legwork of Mann's fully on show as technicians and police poured over the evidence with diligent haste; and even though it was only Mann's second fully-functional film (I'm just gonna write-off The Keep as nothing you can truly assess - certainly Mann has!) you already saw the director's rigorous sense of kinship with & passion for showing the drive and unshakable professionalism of those with a singular, propulsive craft. Again, it could have been irreparably cheesy and instead was a fabulously tense sequence of conference calls.

Yet even with those arresting elements present, I'm not sure this somewhat aesthetics-dominant phase of Michal Mann's career was a natural fit for the material: all throughout this prototypical Serial Killer movie that arguably predated the genre by a few years in many respects, there was this constant pulse and energy of a stylish music video - a distraction not helped when moody 80s tracks played over certain scenes of quiet contemplation. Or indeed the fact this film ended on a freeze-frame; yeesh. Like many great directors Mann's aesthetics would grow and mature over the years, and you could certainly see those later elements in places with Mann's overall exacting clarity of image, and aforementioned moments of introspection - but other elements felt like he still had a foot in Miami Vice's wardrobe.

Tom Noonan was always the tonic here mind you: while he was surrounded by gaudy 80s excess, his performance of Dollarhyde was a quietly simmering presence of focused malevolence. Again a driven man, like all Mann's leads, however corrupted and villainous he might have been; Noonan's unconventional appearance did somewhat scream "hello I am a serial killer", but the overall package wasn't that overplayed either. This was an internalised performance of an obsessive briefly waylaid and conflicted by an unexpected emotional connection, and I think it worked better than Petersen's own performance.

Then there was the cannibalistic elephant in the room. In regarding Brian Cox's performance as "Lektor" (whose eating habits never came up, interestingly), I honestly don't think there was enough to form a comparison with Anthony Hopkins' own turn - or indeed Mads Mikkelsen's; here, 3 small scenes felt like thin gruel to formulate an opinion on a character only tangential to the overall story. What could be said is that by all accounts this was a less affected, theatrical performance (sticking to the two cinematic versions): Hopkins' hissing, bug-eyed monstrousness was not of this earth in Silence of the Lambs - and rightly praised mind you - but his subsequent two appearances swung the wrong side of hammy. It was always the kind of performance easily lampooned - all the easier for Hopkins to slip into self-parody.

With Cox, what we got here was him playing the infamous cannibal as more performative with his apparently relaxed manner, but the performance here was Lektor's, not the actor's; ostensibly affable but always tensed, like that of a predatory animal putting on a show of indifference. That's me spinning a lot from a few minutes of screen-time, but it was certainly the first impression left; that this Lecter was suppressing an urge for violence - but the raw primal kind, not a cannibalistic one.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,618 ✭✭✭nachouser

The Beekeeper (2024)

The latest Jason Statham vehicle wherein Jason Statham gets to do Jason Statham-y things. A lot of fun, if you like that sort of thing. They may as well have just named it The Beequalizer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭monkeyactive

Boy ,

A kiwi comedy Drama coming of age kind of thing.

Has a certain Wes Andersoness to it but isnt so overly Quirky and has more serious dramatic tones.

I enjoyed it and thought it was funny.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,109 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

The Holdovers.

Excellent film, really enjoyed it. Was always a fan of Paul Giamatti.

For me, a more enjoyable film than Oppenheimer.

• Registered Users Posts: 527 ✭✭✭sterz

Ah yes, The Holdovers and Oppenheimer are totally comparable.

Albert Einstein: You just earned yourself a detention, sir, now, get back here!

J. Robert Oppenheimer: Being here with you is already one big fúcking detention!

Albert Einstein: Son of a bitch! That's another detention!

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,926 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

I'd assume the comparison is down to them both being nominated in a lot of the same categories at the Oscars.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,956 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

Well, in fairness, Robert Oppenheimer was detained in the lab and wasn't allowed to hear Niels Bohr give a lecture in the movie. So there's some overlap.

😄

• Advertisement

Monsieur Hulot's Holiday (1953)

Broadly speaking, a "conventional" narrative shouldn't ever be a prerequisite to good or enticing cinema: a boilerplate A to B plot isn't some essential kernel for growing enjoyment or engagement in any given film. Case in point: My Neighbour Tortoro lives rent free in my brain and heart, despite having almost no ostensible plot structure beyond it exists as a heartwarming sequence of little vignettes in the Japanese countryside. Pacing, momentum - or even an arresting theme, subtextual or otherwise - can be essential in the absence of formal structure; there needs to be some kind of gravity well at the centre of a film to pull the viewer along. Aimlessly doodling away, presuming that amiable charm will see you through, will only go so far before boredom rears its head.

Now, by all accounts the gentle whimsy and occasional Chaplin adjacent comedy was intermittently enjoyable, but they were slim moments often suffocated by pacing that was lethargic to the extent the film became functionally dead in places. Oh sure, it captured the atmosphere of pleasantly lazy ennui of a seaside holiday, and the somewhat daft ways people contrive their relaxation - but that never made for an engaging movie experience. It certainly looked well enough: there were some nice compositions here and there, and the more visual gags were often well staged with a craft you'd see accentuated across Tati's career (though that shark gag sat the wrong kind of stupid for me) but ye GODS: my patience was routinely tested. A restless irritation only continuously stirred by Tati's constant use of the same musical loop; that chintzy little sting that became a Sisyphean curse as oh no, there it goes again. Maybe this time there'll be a joke?

Even Mr. Hulot himself was a bit of a dud: a half-sketched lead who lacked any kind of defining traits or personality you'd later see in the descendants of this kind of comedy (see the likes of Rowan Atkinson's Mr Bean). Yeah, the physical comedy shared its own lineage with Chaplin, but Tati forgot to imbue his creation with the kind of distinct voice or persona you saw with the Silent Era icons.

Having only recently watched Tati's masterpiece Playtime, it must be clarified that even though it wasn't exactly a procession of thigh slapping gags either, there was still a degree of momentum and intent - however meandering. Equally, the film had a much stronger sense of thematic messaging threaded into all its gags or the mesmerising (and colossal) set design. You could tell it was "about" something the director wanted to share - even if there wasn't really any plot as such. I'm not sure ultimately either film would necessarily keep a mainstream audience engaged, but Playtime had an overwhelming sense of itself this earlier film completely lacked.

I look forward to the Netflix remake starring Kevin Hart.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,129 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Mon Oncle is much more akin to Playtime than the films that preceded it - in some ways, it’s the dry run for the bigger project that followed - so would definitely recommend that if you want more of the Tati goodness. Traffic too is worth a look, but it’s a much more constrained, smaller film than Playtime. It’s not as much of a home run as Mon Oncle or Playtime, though for me still had plenty of that Tati magic.

I'll keep Mon Oncle in mind, though after Hulot I might take a break from Tati; as I said Playtime wasn't exactly a cavalcade of gags either and its beautiful aesthetics often did a lot of the heavy lifting through the slightly duller quieter moments. I have seen it read all right that Mon Oncle was a bit of a precursor. Still think of Playtime a lot, still taken aback by the scale of that film's production.

Think I'll give Ferrari a whirl after taking on Manhunter; seems like a neat little way to bookend Mann, going from the ... uh, third film to his last(?)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,069 ✭✭✭HalloweenJack

Suburbicon

This caught my eye as it was written by the Coen brothers and directed by George Clooney. Some big names here: Matt Damon, Julianne Moore x2, Oscar Isaacs but the most impressive was the boy playing the lead role.

The story was fairly standard and predictable (for the Coen brothers, something of a mix between Raising Arizona and Fargo). The big reveal wasn't surprising whatsoever and a lot of the story seemed to fall too nicely into place, though there was one continuity error I spotted.

It did have the feel of a Coen brothers film, between the script and the look of it, but I feel that they would have gone further in terms of detail. It felt like an homage to a Coen brothers film but didn't quite succeed at it.

Its worth a watch but wouldn't be the best thing out there.

Society of the Snow

I've actually seen this twice. The story of the Andes plane crash in the 70s where the survivors resorted to cannibalism.

It's not an easy watch, though the cannibalism is mostly off-camera. There is a good explanation of the why while addressing the characters' shame. It is beautifully shot and the score hits at the right time. The acting is good and it does a good job at dealing with a troubling topic. Its definitely worth a watch.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,364 ✭✭✭Homelander

The Wicker Man (2006)

Had heard of how infamously bad this is, but never got around to watching it and I was in the Cage mood after watching Dream Scenario.

Firstly, imagine my surprise to learn the infamous and completely impossible to take seriously "Noooo, not the bees!" scene isn't even - and never was - in the theatrical version/streaming version. I waited the whole movie for a meme that never came. Anyway, for the best as the movie is better without it.

Overall, unlike the original, this isn't a good movie, and the vibe isn't creepy or compelling, it's just plain absurd and played in such a way you have to question if they made a terrible movie inadvertently, or if they were deliberately trying to lean into the borderline comic territory.

Cage's performance is completely over the top ham for the most part, but its complemented by virtually every other actor behaving in similar fashion, I really can't understand what the director was going for with this movie. Every now and again there'll be a brief flash that shows how much better the movie could've been, but those moments are rare.

I will say Cage just being classic Cage is also the one thing that made me stick with the movie at the same time so it's a double edged sword, it's really a sort of "guilty pleasure" type of viewing experience.

The climax is actually decent enough, the reveal of The Wicker Man is creepy and effective in a similar way to the 1973 version. It's the only thing I felt worked in the entire movie, Cage sells it well with easily his most convincing and dialed back acting in the entire film when he first lays eyes on it.

Overall I don't think it's quite as bad as is made out, but I suppose it does demand a tolerance for camp and cheesy - which is pretty much the last thing anyone should be expecting from a remake of something as iconic as The Wicker Man.

Anyone who holds the original in high regard and expects something faithful in tone and intent will probably find extremely little to be positive about. For what it is - a wierd sort of unhinged, incoherent fever-dream that's more often funny than creepy - I'd give it 5/10.

That might seem like a high score for a bad movie and a dreadful remake - and it is both those things - but it's got a certain charm to it I just can't deny, objectively it's more like a 3/10 but I enjoyed it despite its faults.

Original movie (directors cut) is still a terrific movie that has aged well considering it's now over 50 years old, and it's far more effective than the remake too. But I would imagine a huge amount of people who watch the 2006 version are never going to - and never were going to - watch the original.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,212 ✭✭✭Decuc500

Dunkirk

Looks as amazing as expected in 4K. I think I even enjoyed it more this time than on its cinema release.

Yes it's a bit cold and clinical in that Kubrickian way but it's a fantastically entertaining film. The tempo of the soundtrack and the cutting between timelines (that so confused me first time around) gives it a relentless forward momentum. It's a war movie made in the style of a thriller.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,691 ✭✭✭El Gato De Negocios

Frontier(s)

Second Sight in the UK recently began releasing a number of the new wave of French extreme horror movies from the 00s in rather lovely collectors editions and I watched this tonight.

It starts with the backdrop of civil riots due to far right politics in Paris and a group of friends going on the run, having arranged a rendezvous in an isolated motel.

Things go sideways fast and the group end up fighting for their lives against a family of nazi cannibals.

Stealing beats from the likes of Texas Chainsaw Massacre and The Descent this is a claustrophobic, nightmarish piece of cinema. While not as bloody as the likes of Switchblade Romance or as downright cruel as Martyrs, this is still a pretty brutal movie, even by modern standards.

Well worth a watch for horror fans that are looking for something nasty or that doesn't rely on jump scares or sound effects to get a reaction.

I also picked up Inside and Switchblade Romance from the same label so looking forward to rewatching them.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,016 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

I caught streaming rentals of a couple of recent-ish releases over the weekend.

Femme stars Nathan Stewart-Jarrett (aka Curtis the time-traveller from Misfits) and George Mackay in a queer revenge thriller that is much stronger than its trailer suggests, by being much more interested in getting under the skin of both Jules, a gay man and drag queen who is brutally assaulted at the start of the film, and Preston, Jules' attacker. Both characters are given more than enough depth to avoid simplistic "victim/attacker" designations, and I found it interesting that in both cases we see how their immediate social group imposes constraints on aspects of their identities that they want to explore.

Vesper sounds like it's going to be some derivative YA/SF affair in the Divergent or Mortal Engines mould - heaps of plot guff, little to no character to speak of, money spent on Big Effects Shots, and so on. Happily it turns out not to be that - it is more in the vein of Tales From The Loop or Rover, than the kinds of YA film I mentioned above. The plot is not particularly complex, but the charm of the film is its depiction of a dystopian neo-feudalist near future, and how the titular Vesper struggles to survive without compromising either her principles or those she cares for. Special note goes to Eddie Marsan who puts in a great, creepy turn as an antagonistic force, and Richard Brake who, even when playing someone completely paralysed, still manages to project a strong sense of character and presence.

Re. Vesper, I loved its environmental storytelling, and that sense of a creeping alien world that was pushing local fauna and flora out - including people. No info dumps or expository dialogue either, just lots of inference and dots left for the viewer to join up. Really great slimy, evocative FX work too on what must have been a non existent budget (which you could sorta tell cos there were basically 2 locations and almost zero plot)

If you're looking for more stories set around worlds of "weird nature", seek out Scavenger's Reign; which took that idea of a totally alien ecosystem and ran with it - using an animation style lifted from Moebius comics

The Exorcist (1973)

Hot Take incoming: this was a great movie 'til the Exorcism started & then it kinda went a bit ... well. Downhill? Now, that got your attention eh? Hear me out though.

Firstly, my immediate wondering in the aftermath of this long belated rewatch was if modern audiences would have patience enough for the 2/3s of this that operated more like a slow Domestic Crisis drama than some iconic supernatural tale of terror; but the emotional and personal drama that unfolded was where the Exorcist's gravity had the strongest pull on my attention. Sure, I'd be lying if I said I wasn't rattled by the constant vibe of dread saddling the narrative, or arresting moments like the "spider-walking", but the more Regan became a snarling movie monster, the more my brain and heart decoupled itself from the existential anguish of the still-human leads. For me the lodestone here wasn't as much Regan's possession, but a mother's despairing impotence in the face of her child withering in front of her, or the crisis of career & faith that left Father Karras wondering about his choices and sense of Imposter Syndrome; his own impotence born as his ageing mother lessened and died in front of him, incapable of providing the succour expected of him. We're powerless to watch our loved ones grow ill and suffer, the real horror not one created by the devil but our own vulnerability and impermanence; grief is the monster, always coming and never far from our shoulders.

Ellen Burstyn's Chris felt like the fundamental heart of the story here alongside the manifestation of the sub-text I picked up about the lies we tell ourselves as parents; that no matter how robust our determination to love, protect and nurture our children can be we are ultimately powerless creatures if and when sickness takes hold. I dunno, maybe this is yet another meandering gearshift born from fatherhood; the new chemicals sloshing around in my brain triggering different reactions to on-screen emotional torment - where before I'd have thought nothing of it? I do think our age and experiences change how we perceive films content - so maybe this is just another case of that.

So for me the first couple of acts weren't about the horror of the devil but a sort of horror of paralysis: sitting in sterile waiting rooms or behind glass screens and wondering if the cure was as bad as the disease while doctors debated giving Regan yet another spinal tap. Throughout all this, there were few musical stings or cinematographic artifice but a fairly rudimentary, procedural approach that kept it all grounded in a primal reality; sure there was the odd subliminal flash of Captain Howdy, or the occasional creak from an otherwise empty attic, all reminding there was a dark malevolence behind it all but Friedkin played his hand with a restraint almost non-existent in a genre now overtaken by superficiality & bombast. The widely slammed Exorcist: Believer testament to that. Indeed it was funny how little Tubular Bells actually figured in that spartan score; and iconic track but not deployed ad nauseam either.

And I was moved so much by the intimacy of the crisis in the first half, I'd be inclined to agree with suggestions by some that the film became lesser the more Regan's possession manifested through spinning heads and projectile pea soup; in fact I'd go so far as to suggest the spinning head itself came off goofy not terrifying, a party trick really, while the psychological manipulation Regan conducted on the emotionally brittle Father Karras a more effective scalpel of unease, this child deftly fragmenting Karras' resolve.

That's not to dump on the entirety of when the horror took centre-stage 'cos by all accounts the production on the last acts was absolutely fabulous; the choice to shoot the bedroom scenes in an ice locker a choice of malevolent genius. Sure, the modern day approach to use CGI to insert some puffs of fogged breath are the safer, less cruel option but damn: the obvious physical debilitation and utterly frozen faces of the actors did sell the sheer intensity and misery of the entire scenario; Friedkin was clearly a maniac and borderline monster - but you'd struggle to argue with the end results.

• Advertisement

Only God Forgives (2013)

Thought this was very good, almost like a chapter of 'Pusher' set in the seedy neon night-time world of modern day Bangkok. Ryan Gosling plays Julian, one half of a drug smuggling operation ran out of his and his pervert brother Billy's Thai-boxing club. Long story short, the pervert brother catches the ire of a almost supernatural like, local detective, brilliantly played by Vithaya Pansringarm, who has Billy clipped by a vengeful victim. Gosling is then sent by his demented mother to enact revenge upon this local detective and all Hell literally breaks loose. Brilliantly shot and highly violent, it's been widely panned but I thought it a far better effort than the director's (Nicolas Winding Refn) previous work, which was 'Drive', also starring Gosling. 8/10

Barbie (2023)

Fell about the place laughing at Gosling in this, his comedic timing is absolutely brilliant. Almost executed like a Terry Gilliam/Monty Python work. Was thoroughly entertained and surprised as it wasn't what I was expecting at all. 7/10

Anatomy of a Fall (2023)

Went into this thing blind not knowing anything about it, but I should have checked it out. Courtroom drama shtick ain't my thing. Relationship breakdown drama shtick even less. Didn't enjoy it. Everybody is portrayed like a total pain in the ar$e. 3/10

Massacre Time (1966)

Fine Spaghetti western directed by Lucio Fulci, hot off the success of 'Django', Franco Nero plays 'Tom Corbett', a prospector who is begged by a local in his home town to come back and help rid the place of the violent corporate banking glamgang that have the place taken over. Starts off well, lags a bit in the middle and then kicks back the final third. Typical Spaghetti western but some very entertaining pieces in this. Well worth a watch if you like westerns. 6/10

Oppenheimer (2023)

Thought it was alright, seemed very rushed in parts but I suppose it has to be, being a mainstream effort pushed out for numbers and awards. The rushed parts were very rushed though, and constantly dragged me out the fourth wall. Despite what a lot of people say, I found the sound to be fine, but I blast mine out of two hi-spec Marshall speakers, a few people I have talked to just watched it through their TVsb and they had a awful time of it. Cillian Murphy probably deserves the oscar, he carries so much of this, obviously, but he puts a lot of soul into his performance. Soundtrack is very good, production design also very good. Just that some of the writing really let it down a good bit. 7/10

A lot of people seem to hate 'Only God Forgives'.

Thought it was pretty good myself.

Have you seen any of the 'Pusher' trilogy, Tony?

I'm envious, you should rent them immediately. Think you would really like them. The first one from 1996, the second one 2004 and the third 2005. Refn's best work IMO, definitely Mads Mikklesen's best performances.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,776 ✭✭✭silliussoddius

Heard they're a bit gritty. Mikkelsen's has done some quiet dark comedic stuff in the past.

Did anyone see Riders of Justice?

Have you not seen them either sil? Yeah, they are gritty as Hell, gritty probably being kind ,especially the last one, the whole thing is ramped up over the course of the three chapters. The last one ramps it up bigtime. If you haven't seen them I'd also highly recommend.

Never seen Riders of Justice myself

I'll put them on the list.

The ever growing list...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,776 ✭✭✭silliussoddius

After seeing Mikkelsen in Hannibal I wanted to check out some of his Danish roles but could never get them on streaming, I saw them a while back but to be honest in recent years some darker stuff doesn't seem as appealing to me (same as another of his, The Hunt).

Riders of Justice is an odd one, definitely an odd sense of humour going on and it touches on some heavy topics with some dark humour.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,691 ✭✭✭El Gato De Negocios

The Pusher Trilogy are absolutely outstanding and Umbrella in Australia recently released them in a lovely blu ray boxset.

Advertisement