Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Castres Olympique vs Munster, Sat 15th Dec 5.30pm Irish time

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,034 ✭✭✭KrustyUCC

Carbery needs to be better at his goal kicking if he wants to be in the Ireland squad and a viable option to bring on

Anybody can have an off day but we can't afford one in the world cup

• Registered Users Posts: 22,243 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

The Munster performance was as flat as Donncha O Callaghan commentary. You can't show up and turnover that many ruck balls away from home you will get punished. Kicking wasn't the reason you lost tonight but lack of aggression and guile in the loose probably cost you

We lost lots of rucks to a team that base their entire gameplan on turning over ball at the ruck

Losing some rucks was always gonna happen.

What we should not have allowed was the lineout steals and decisions that we've already spoken about.

Castres were a much much better performance tonight compared with last week. Munster were better too, and we should have won, but c'est la vie

• Closed Accounts Posts: 412 ✭✭Sirius Boner

Byrne was never going to go. He wanted to stay at Leinster even if he was third choice. Carberry took it upon himself to go and get gametime at flyhalf at Munster. Fair play to him. He is the kind of player who can win games from nowhere but failed to impose his stamp on the game today. All told he's better than any of the options Munster have at 10

Whatever about that....it wasn't happening for him today...he should have been taken a little earlier...JJ should have come in with 20 to go, but all a bit academic now.
    I'm disappointed, but not down.....we have a break...and then 2 games in which to get to the quarters

• Registered Users Posts: 13,232 ✭✭✭✭prawnsambo

Bad enough that Joey had to move to Munster, but I bet he wouldn't have, if he'd known it was going to mean an extra R in his name. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

prawnsambo wrote: »
    Bad enough that Joey had to move to Munster, but I bet he wouldn't have, if he'd known it was going to mean an extra R in his name. :pac:

Credit to you playing it safe with Joey in case you made the same mistake yourself!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,514 ✭✭✭bennyl10

KrustyUCC wrote: »
    Carbery needs to be better at his goal kicking if he wants to be in the Ireland squad and a viable option to bring on

Carbery’s runing and support lines, and his out of hand work is still phenomenal
    He had a poor game off the tee, tbh he didn’t look fully fit off the tee

Munster left that game behind them today
    Have to win in Gloucester now!

• Site Banned Posts: 12,341 ✭✭✭✭Faugheen

This is very harsh. Carbery’s kicking has improved tenfold this year and I think that was his first bad game off the tee.

As you said, anyone can have an off-day from the tee. Surely Carbery should be given the chance to redeem himself before we start getting the knives out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

Maybe next time Munster might reward the player who was MoM last week and not revert back to a player that is not fully fit.....

Carberry is still a kid in reality, they need to manage his game time. Like Leinster would have done with him.

razorblunt wrote: »
    Credit to you playing it safe with Joey in case you made the same mistake yourself!
    Actually chose that route so as not to give any hints. Ye were using three Rs, I wasn't letting you know which one was superfluous. :D

Actually chose that route so as not to give any hints. Ye were using three Rs, I wasn't letting you know which one was superfluous. :D

When typing my phone goes berry...ain't nobody got time fo correcting that sheet!

• Advertisement

i kinda felt like it was wrong but i was hardly gonna go look it up in the middle of the game

Shefwedfan wrote: »
    Maybe next time Munster might reward the player who was MoM last week and not revert back to a player that is not fully fit.....

Carberry is still a kid in reality, they need to manage his game time. Like Leinster would have done with him.

Balls to that, you always pick your first choice players for the Heineken cup if they available

Carrberry passed his fitness test so he was selected

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,728 ✭✭✭Former Former

Flicked over for the last twenty minutes. Very un-Munster like, you always expect them to grind out wins like that but there was a real lack of control and composure.

One thing that stood out was the lack of depth. As far as I could tell, Archer and Botha were the only subs who got meaningful time. Fresh legs could have been crucial but the options weren't there.

Still, topping the pool remains the most likely outcome so not all bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,034 ✭✭✭KrustyUCC

Faugheen wrote: »
    This is very harsh. Carbery’s kicking has improved tenfold this year and I think that was his first bad game off the tee.

As you said, anyone can have an off-day from the tee. Surely Carbery should be given the chance to redeem himself before we start getting the knives out.

What part is harsh?

He needs to improve if he is a viable option to bring on in the world cup

Some kicks miss

However he needs to be better with ones in front of the posts

Learning experience but no bother saying he needs to improve

Did anyone notice that Joey's kicks at the posts were very chopped? No real follow thru on most...that's something that would have to be worked on.... unless it's an injury he's carrying?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,098 ✭✭✭Poorside

Joey had a very bad day off the tee, but he wasn’t much better all round, didn’t direct play at all, never pushed the ball behind Speeding, didn’t bring Arnold into the game, got caught in possession too easily and just didn’t shake any of it off.
    I’d start him next week and tell him he has 50 minutes to keep JJ on the bench.

Did anyone notice that Joey's kicks at the posts were very chopped? No real follow thru on most...that's something that would have to be worked on.... unless it's an injury he's carrying?
    Hamstring would have you kicking like that.

Hamstring would have you kicking like that.

Then he shouldn’t have been kicking.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

Poorside wrote: »

He shouldn't have been playing, let alone kicking....

It's not like Munster don't have a few options at 10

Last time I checked, my name wasn't Johan van Graan.

• Advertisement

Last time I checked, my name wasn't Johan van Graan.

Is it Deccie Kidney?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,514 ✭✭✭bennyl10

Joey had a very bad day off the tee, but he wasn’t much better all round, didn’t direct play at all, never pushed the ball behind Speeding, didn’t bring Arnold into the game, got caught in possession too easily and just didn’t shake any of it off.

JJ isn’t remotely near Joey in terms of ability.
    JJ is a good back up, he’s had multiple chances and he’s proven he’s not this level 95% of the time.

Joey has an off day, in awful conditions, away in France.
    Joey is our starting 10 for the foreseeable. One poor day does not get rid of that!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 553 ✭✭✭Elvisjuice

really

Shefwedfan wrote: »
    He shouldn't have been playing, let alone kicking....

It's not like Munster don't have a few options at 10

If his hammer was playing in his mind he should have been playing but Scannell could have been given the kicking duties from the start, might have helped him relax and play a bit better.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

Is it the silent one at the start? Rcarbery like? Short for Rosscarbery.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,757 ✭✭✭✭bilston

That Castres no. 7 was stupid. Nigel would reverse the penalty there for that sort of behaviour.

The irony is I seem to remember Wayne Barnes giving a penalty against DOC for patting Mike Phillips on the head in the GS game in '09 which could have proved very costly

Murray to his credit was very restrained

• Registered Users Posts: 7,811 ✭✭✭Tigerandahalf

He has a very cool head. The French were clearly trying to goad him in the 2nd half of the match that I saw. Maybe he did something before that to get on their ire.

Tough run in for Munster. They are capable of losing either of those games especially if both sides put out full strength. They should be two good competitive games. Are Castres home to either of those sides in the games to come?

He has a very cool head. The French were clearly trying to goad him in the 2nd half of the match that I saw. Maybe he did something before that to get on their ire.

Tough run in for Munster. They are capable of losing either of those games especially if both sides put out full strength. They should be two good competitive games. Are Castres home to either of those sides in the games to come?

They’re home to Glaws in the last round.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,129 ✭✭✭Granny15

What part is harsh?

Some kicks miss

Joey may or may not end up being a good goal kicking 10 but he will always be a top end running 10. If your team is one with ambition and goes out to attack he is perfect for you.

Some people argue JJ is similar - he is a good attacker and sometimes makes linebreaks. He does but far less often than Joey does per game - Joey straightens the defence a very difficult skill to imitate.

JJ's kicking isn't as good as Joeys and despite Joey missing 3 kicks on the day he is solid enough.

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 12,341 ✭✭✭✭Faugheen

What part is harsh?

Some kicks miss

It was his first poor game off the tee since joining Munster. I like to knock Munster where possible but I've always been a believer of giving players the chance to redeem themselves from a bad day at the office.

If he has a couple more in the next few weeks, then 3/4 bad days in a couple of months becomes an issue and then we can have this conversation, but let him try to redeem himself before suggesting he needs to be better if he's going to be an option at the World Cup.

Carbery isn't Sexton. No 10 in the world touches Sexton at the moment. It's unfair to be holding Carbery to a standard nobody else is near at the moment based on just one bad day at the office.

Advertisement