Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Solar panels and air to water

Options
  • 12-12-2018 5:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭

Just wondering would there be enough electricity produced from solar panels to power an air to water/ underfloor heating system. How many panels would i need?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,076 ✭✭✭✭KCross

brianmax88 wrote: »
    Just wondering would there be enough electricity produced from solar panels to power an air to water/ underfloor heating system. How many panels would i need?

No, is the simple answer.

When you need the a2w most in winter, your panels will be producing very little above what the house will be consuming so nothing to spare for running the heat pump.

Solar panels are still a good idea in their own right to reduce your electricity bill but not to run your heat pump.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,362 ✭✭✭rolion

@brian
    Is well worth investment if and repeat only,you think big numbers and big picture,along with a good insulation / heating solution and corect expectation mind set.

I am planing an offgrid system with around 2 trackers of 16 PV panels 350W each,giving me around 10Kw installed and potential generated power.
    Those PVs will heat a big cylinder,maybe 3,000 litres and that will keep the heat coming for at least few days.
    During the day time,harvesting the sun,a heat pump can extract around 2-4KWh and output,based on COP,maybe 6-12KWh in heat (maybe more if ground geothermal based system).
    I know that Viesman have a heat pump "integrated" with solar PVs and can maximise the generation,taking the peak outputs.

That heat generated could be used live for house or can be diverted in to the big puffer,raising the water to a near desired 90ish top to bottom.
    With a smart system,you take the heat from there and spread around a good insulated zoned house,radiators and UFH.

Yes,it can be done but at what cost ... at what surface and praying that Sun will be shinning today... i know people doing that and living well and happy.
    For the past few days,i barely generated enough to keep the invertor warm...so,lots of "IFs" and "WHENs" and what we do when no heat or electricity... hmmm

• Registered Users Posts: 7,855 ✭✭✭Rows Grower

brianmax88 wrote: »

About 3 million brian.

"Very soon we are going to Mars. You wouldn't have been going to Mars if my opponent won, that I can tell you. You wouldn't even be thinking about it."

Donald Trump, March 13th 2018.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,635 ✭✭✭donegal.

So how much would all cost to set up /maintain?

Advertisement