Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leaning to swim at 50

Options
  • 11-12-2018 7:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭

Hi
    I am hoping to learn to swim in January, i have tried and failed before.
    I had a car accident in may and hurt my shoulder, the last time i tried to learn i was in a lot pain with my shoulder and neck area. I did not pass the level where you use the float s.

Any idea's to build confidence a and reduce nervousness.
    And keep motivated as
    I hope 50 is not too old to learn new things

Comments

Not a lot of specific ideas but my mother learned at 70. She's 80 now and swims (gently) a few days a week.
    She had a terror of water from childhood when she witnessed her little brother's drowning. Was so proud of her - she'd had a hang up for years and years and finally just made it happen for herself. She's still not into deep ends and won't be ocean swimming or anything but can swim and does lengths of a 20 m pool. If she can do it at that age then anyone can. I think finding the right teacher and class and a nice warm shallow uncrowded calm pool helped.

Not sure about your shoulder - but take it slow and easy and don't push yourself too fast. If holding the floatie out front hurts try those long baton flotation sticks? Or ease your way into getting comfortable in a kiddie pool or extra warm pool until you get really comfortable in water?

Good luck, it'll be fine :)

• Registered Users Posts: 623 ✭✭✭QuiteInterestin

You're never too old to learn :) Also, swimming is great for your joints. One thing I would advise is to check with your GP/Physio that swimming is suitable for your neck/shoulder injury. I have serious neck problems :(:( and while swimming and water exercises are advised, I've been warned not to swim using a float with both arms out in front as it causes you to crane your neck up at an awkward angle to breathe. The swimming pool noodles, as suggested by Cali_girl, don't pose that problem. Also, would you try Aqua Aerobics to build up your confidence in the water?
    Good Luck :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭Paddy Cow

Try and get private lessons in a quiet pool if you can afford it. A few years ago I signed up for public lessons in Leisureland. It was €48 for 6 lessons and I only went once. The pool was crowded, there were loads in the class and I couldn't hear the instructor properly and the whole experience was a nightmare. I didn't bother going back for the rest of the lessons.

Maybe 4/5 years ago I paid €120 for private lessons (I think it was six sessions) in the Kingfisher gym and the difference was night and day. I could kinda swim but was anxious putting my face under water. By the end of the lessons I was grand. I would highly recommend one on one instruction.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,468 ✭✭✭Ectoplasm

pmrc wrote: »
    Hi
    I am hoping to learn to swim in January, i have tried and failed before.
    I had a car accident in may and hurt my shoulder, the last time i tried to learn i was in a lot pain with my shoulder and neck area. I did not pass the level where you use the float s.

Any idea's to build confidence a and reduce nervousness.
    And keep motivated as
    I hope 50 is not too old to learn new things

Anyone can learn to swim at any age and swimming is especially good for rehab. In terms of building confidence, practice is really the best thing for it, the more time you spend in the water the more confident you will be.

In terms of keeping motivated, Swim Ireland run an event every year called Swim for a Mile. Before you panic, you don't HAVE to actually swim for a mile, you can do a shorter distance but I have done it for the last few years and every year I meet someone who has only just learned to swim.
    It is run in pools all over the country, they have group training sessions, a training plan and the event itself is great fun. The training usually starts in January and the event itself doesn't take place until the end of March or April.
    You can check it out here https://www.swimforamile.com

Even if you don't go for it, enjoy learning to swim, you'll be great!

• Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭pmrc

Hi I have started my 1 to 1 lessons.
    My fear is decreasing.
    But still using the floats however is ony been 4 lessons.
    Trying to learn the front crawl, is that the earliest or would the breast stroke be easier?

• Advertisement

My fear is decreasing.
    Trying to learn the front crawl, is that the earliest or would the breast stroke be easier?

My fear is decreasing.
    The easiest way to swim, is the back stroke. It takes very little effort or technique. Because your head is never under water and you can see your surroundings, you feel more in control and if you make a mistake, you are less likely to freak out and set back your confidence. Once you learn how to float, it's just a matter of moving your arms and kicking your legs. It's a great technique to learn as a beginner and will increase your confidence. You will be amazed how quickly you can do full lengths of the pool with this stroke.

This was how I learned. We used to swim down the shore and it was my friend's mother who taught me. She got me to lay on my back in the water and placed her hand on the small off my back until I got my balance/floated. Then she got me to move my arms above my head and with her guidance, I started moving! The next step was to start kicking my legs. I'm not going to lie, once I kicked my legs I put the whole thing out of balance and ended up rolling over but I never felt unsafe because she was there. After a few attempts, I was able to swim without her help and it was an amazing feeling.

Once you have got the hang of this, the natural progression is the front stroke/crawl. This adds a level of difficulty because not only are you trying to keep your legs and arms in sync, you have to turn your head to catch a breath above water. That can be tricky to master but with practice it is doable. Your body has already learned from muscle memory the coordination needed to sync your arms and legs from the back stroke, so you can focus on catching your breath above water.

The breast stroke is the hardest, so I'd advise staying away from that for now. They say you have to swim like a frog to perfect this, and it's so true. I can do front and back stroke but still haven't mastered the breast stroke! I try but I find that I end up going under the water. It was something I worked on with my instructor but I still couldn't get it. It's a lot more technical than a basic back/front stroke. It's definitely an advanced level technique.

Could you ask your instructor about learning the back stroke? I'm not an expert in any way but it's how me and all my peers learned because it's so easy.

Unfortunately i panic when i go on my back in the pool.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,624 ✭✭✭✭meeeeh

My breast stroke technique is rubbish (legs) but most kids my age learned it first (at least the ones I know). There is also the proper way to do it and the lazy comfortable way when you keep your head above the water all the time. No swimming instructor will teach it but most of us will swim like that on holidays. :D I find breaststroke easier but my leg movement is apparently rubbish.

Unfortunately i panic when i go on my back in the pool.
    You're the opposite to me so!

Talk to your instructor and see if ye can come up with a plan that suits you. The important thing is that you've gone for lessons and are sticking with them. We're not like cats and dogs who can swim naturally. It takes time. Stick with it and you'll get there :)

• Advertisement
Advertisement