Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Butternut Squash

Options
  • 08-12-2018 9:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭

Yet again I made a stew with butternut squash in it and found that it took ages to soften (around 40 mins simmering in a Le Creuset casserole on a gas hob). Does anybody have any hints or tips? Would you recommend softening slightly in the microwave first?

Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 372 ✭✭blondeonblonde

Kerryite wrote: »
    Yet again I made a stew with butternut squash in it and found that it took ages to soften (around 40 mins simmering in a Le Creuset casserole on a gas hob). Does anybody have any hints or tips? Would you recommend softening slightly in the microwave first?

Thanks!

Maybe cutting it up smaller? It does take a little time though. Or else you could fry it up a little longer with your onions or meat before you add liquid.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Maybe cutting it up smaller? It does take a little time though. Or else you could fry it up a little longer with your onions or meat before you add liquid.

I always cooked them whole in the slowcooker, with no water

See

https://www.myfussyeater.com/cook-whole-butternut-squash-slow-cooker/

As the author says, peeling etc is hard...

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,113 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

I've given up on peeling them. Eat them skin and all.

Roast them in the oven for a bit first OP.
    Nicer flavour anyway.

Advertisement