Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RIAT 2019

Options
  • 07-12-2018 3:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,629 ✭✭✭

For those who've been there before, is RIAT doable in a day - say flying into Bristol or Cardiff, renting a car, and getting back?

I've basically done this for the Duxford BoB show and Farnbourgh, but it seems RIAT could be a lot busier, so requiring an overnighter.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,108 ✭✭✭Psychlops

No not really, you need a day at least for the flying display & a day for all the statics, there is too much to see flying considering flying starts at 10am & finishes at 18:00 on both days it is an awful lot to see which is brilliant & too much to see on static.

Normally we fly into Bristol & stay in Swindon as that is where the dedicated bus service to the base runs from ( beware bus spotters, yes they exist ).

I am done with RIAT for a few years at least, need to break it up, walking around all day around the statics & joining q's for gaining access to aircraft can be very draining regardless of how fit you are & I am quite fit.

Personally for me it is a bit weird to be having an Airshow kick off at 10am but each to their own.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 9,733 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tenger

I would say that it is possible but you are doing yourself a diservice. You would be looking at missing either the start of end of the flying display. And while there you would have to decide to wander the static park or eatch the display. So I would suggest stsying overnight. Its such an opportunity to see some great displays and get close to lots of aircraft and equipment.

I was there for 2 days in 2015. Saturday was display, Sunday was mostly static park. Stayed till the end on Sunday (1930) in order to get a glimpse at everything, including all the display aircraft who park up after their display.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,629 ✭✭✭b318isp

Thanks for the feedback - might do Cosford then in 2019, and aim for RIAT in 2020.

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭Madme

I've done RIAT in a day trip before on the Saturday for the last few years. Is doable but is a compromise. Flew to Bristol and rented a car, is 10-10.30am by the time you get there in the traffic and the flying display had already started. Then trying to get the flying display and the static display in is hard as you're jumping between the two and deciding what to see and what to skip. Then had to leave a little before the end to make sure I missed all the traffic to get back to the airport.
    Is very enjoyable airshow but long day and you wont see everything.
    The arrival or departure days are great too.

Advertisement