Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Job Worry

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,121 ✭✭✭amcalester

So he finally came back to me and told me that HR are putting me on a PIP (Performance Improvement Plan)

I told him that for the record that I thought it has been a disgrace the way it has been handled so far and that for his information that I was going to go to the union to seek advice on a few things that where going on. I got pretty annoyed.

Don't know how these PIP things work but starting to get paranoid that it will last until end of June when the big piece of work they need me for is over and then they'll say you failed the PIP and we're letting you go.

Its not as simple as that, the PIP will have targets that you need to achieve and regular meetings with your manager to track progress so you should be fully aware at all times how you are performing against expectations.

I wouldn't worry too much, it sounds like you are performing well but that your manager has unrealistic expectations on what you can get through in a day.

Use the PIP to your advantage, only agree to work that you know you can do, if you need support ask for it and document everything.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,666 ✭✭✭dennyk

amcalester wrote: »
    Its not as simple as that, the PIP will have targets that you need to achieve and regular meetings with your manager to track progress so you should be fully aware at all times how you are performing against expectations.

That may be the theory, but in practice a PIP is often just used to minimize the chances of a successful unfair dismissal claim when managing out an unwanted employee. Unless all of the targets they give the OP are quantifiable, very clearly defined, and would be reasonably attainable for the average employee working only their contracted hours, the OP should plan to be without a job come the end of the PIP period, and it might be best for them to be proactive about securing alternative employment in that case...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,258 ✭✭✭saccades

I'd be jumping ship asap.

Update LinkedIn, sort out your CV and soar stories and go hunting for a new job.

If what you tell us is correct then where have HR been when getting to the PIP?

Verbal warning? Or something similar? HR should be there with the PIP, if only to ensure the manager is screwing you correctly to cover the companies arse.

Plus you have to trust the manager that has got you into this position in the first place to score/grade you fairly.

And what's the chances of increased pay/promotion with a PIP on record (even if you successfully get past it).

Move on before a trumped up (but apparently fair "process") sacking is on your CV.

The job market is booming, go get better pay (calculate hourly pay rates), a manager that actually manages and dump the stress and enjoy being a dad/husband.

Ps never trust HR, they are there for the company, not you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,111 ✭✭✭SirChenjin

From your OP...and whilst I had told my manager the work was still not complete and I had to review to make sure it all Tied up he went ahead with it and gave it to senior people in the company without me knowing. This then caused some angst after the basic error came to light.

Some arse covering by the manager going on here perhaps?
    You did alert him to the fact that something had to be reviewed but he went ahead and distributed it. I would want that noted somewhere, if I were you. Email trail maybe?

I don't know the ins and outs of a PIP, but I would be familiarising myself very quickly in relation to the procedure as what has happened to date doesn't sound very professional on the part of your employer.

I would also seriously consider moving jobs pretty quickly, if at all possible.
    Best of luck.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭John Hutton

Get signed off a week on stress, and upon your return go straight to HR (you need to go over your managers head now) and tell them everything bthat is going on and emphasise the complete lack of support and dismissal your manager have you when you spoke to home about your personal circumstances. And go to your union.

And look for a new job.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 992 ✭✭✭Saint Sonner

I talked to some of my peers and told them all the details. They seem to think that I was being treated badly as as far as they could see I was doing a good job these are my colleagues that are in the same location as me and see all of my work.

However I decided I wanted to go to the company doctor and told her what was going on and how I was feeling.

She advised me to take time off but at the time I wasn't comfortable because I had work to do that was important and didn't want it to be held against me so I just said that I would work a few days and then decide. She told me that I should take time off and gave me a note for 2 days at the end of last week and told me to use it if I wanted to. But I didn't.

My manager rang me on Friday to discuss the PIP he was talking about lots of different issues and I had some questions for him however he seemed to get irratated and I tried to explainagain reason for the errors he was very dismissive at this stage I got annoyed and I said that I have been signed off by the doctor but I felt like I couldn't take the time cos I was so busy and did not ant yo let people down I didn't want to say this but its just the way the conversation went.

My manager then went into overdrive to say that he had to go to HR that getting signed off and not taking it was wrong and he had to tell HR this and that he was breaking the law for me being working I I asked him not to do this because I haven't handed sick note in but he said that he had to go to HR because it was something that they need to be made aware of.

I thought its just another tool to beat me over the head with I got very annoyed and ended call.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,121 ✭✭✭amcalester

I don't think you're doing yourself any favours here, if the doctor signed you off as unfit for work then you shouldn't have been at work.

As regards the conversation about the PIP, don't let the manager go off on tangents and include aspects that shouldn't be included, and if he's not answering your questions because he's getting irritated that's his problem, you just don't agree to anything until all your questions have been answered and you fully understand what is expected of you (and also what you can expect from your boss.

Get HR involved if you need to (though as pointed out above HR are there to support the company not you), because if they are using the PIP to manage you out you need to make sure that nothing outside of your role is included in it.

I'd also be documenting that the work your manager forwarded on to Senior Management was incomplete and you had made him aware of this prior to him sending it.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,231 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

Op, just in relation to the cert. The Doctor has certified you medically unfit to carry out your duties. By informing your manager of this, there could be implications for your employer if they allowed you to continue to work whilst knowing you are unfit to do so. Your manager was right to inform HR, if you don’t want to take time off then there is no obligation on you to do so, but if the employer knows a Dr signed you off, then you should not be at work.

• Registered Users Posts: 992 ✭✭✭Saint Sonner

Another update - I decided on advice to take some time off (I had another medical issue which I was signed off for but thought it would be a good way to shower the head)

Took two weeks off and left my manager to pick up all the work I do.

I had a few texts from colleagues saying he was asking everyone for help during this time which made me smile. When I got back I got feedback from alot of business partners that said they where glad to see me back and had not got the service they required in my absence. I even heard that one of these (they didn't tell me directly and they had no idea why I was off or what was going on) had given my manager a right chewing for not having good service. My manager mentioned this to me but put a nice gloss on it by saying it was a challenging conversation! lol

Anyhow I am in much clearer head space now and find myself easily able to prioritise accordingly. I have noticed a marked improvement in my managers behaviour and would go as far to say he is delighted to have me back. PIP has not been addressed/signed yet but at return to work interview he said we needed to go over it but can do it later and that it was just a case of getting it done and out of the way. Didn't seem as important to him at this stage but could be wrong.

Whatever comes of it now I'm happy I have done all I can.

Advertisement