Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A wee reminder...

Options
  • 02-12-2018 9:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭

First time here, and apologies if this topic has been discussed here already more than once. Also want to state that this is not an anti-Christmas thread, rather more of an "anti-commercial Christmas" thread.

A teacher I know noted that while parents feel stressed and pressurized to get presents for their families, the pupils talked more about the experiential aspects associated with Christmas when they returned to school after the holidays - when the whole family spend time together watching films or dinner, a parent bringing a child out on a daytrip, doing various activities together, visiting friends. Or even gifts that involve spending time with a child (craft-making kit, puzzles, etc.). Presents are mentioned as well, but they get forgotten about after a while. Just something to bear in mind in the midst of the shops capitalizing on the season of extortionate spending.

Another one is when you are getting presents, consider ones that would be highly appreciated or useful by a person, ones that last a long time rather than tat (eg. reusable stainless steel razors that last for decades, college book, etc.). Or if you can't afford to gift these, something that still has thought put into it would be just as acceptable.
    Our family are doing Kris Kindle/kringle/secret santa(I only have to get a voucher for a family member, nothing else), and there's more interest in the dinner and other food. It makes Christmas less stressful not having to wonder what to get for people, when they would most likely not be that bothered about the present in the first place.

Other things I do:
    -wrap gifts in newspaper. It's free, widely available and can be recycled or composted (conventional wrapping paper is not recyclable due to the shiny foil part of it) You can use ribbon or newspaper "ribbon" to tie it together. Alternatively you could say use a scarf or other cloth to wrap a present for someone.
    -Give a "babysitting voucher" to 2 friends I know who have children
    -Simple homemade cards (with brown paper and white ink pen or white gouache paint for the writing, and a simple design on the front), or else a plain paper charity card if I was buying them, least it can be recycled or put into the brown bin afterwards.
    -Make decorations out of the likes of concorted hazel or willow branches, pine cones, etc. etc. etc. and reuse year after year.

Thought this was an interesting infographic on spending less & still getting more out of Christmas (it's the crap-free christmas buying guide if the link doesn't work)
    http://i65.tinypic.com/18zk3.jpg

Do any of ye do anything similar?

Advertisement