Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why can't we have Request Stops in Ireland?

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,907 ✭✭✭Stephen15

Del.Monte wrote: »
    Walking distance to country stations tends not to be the issue that it is in cities i.e people tend to get dropped off and collected at them.

Avoca may be a small village but a reintroduced rail service could be used to bring in visitors as it's a popular destination. Irish rail passes through the village and gains no business whatsoever. In reality, little more is needed in Avoca than a sweep of the platform but no doubt, if it were to be reopened, there would have to be state of the art lifts, ATMs, ramps, new platforms etc.

Judging by the current state of the station it looks that the old platforms are quite overgrown and don't by the looks align with the trains themselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,757 ✭✭✭Polar101

Walking distance to country stations tends not to be the issue that it is in cities i.e people tend to get dropped off and collected at them.

Yeah maybe, but then the passengers can also be collected from the nearest town that has an open train station.

Has there been a lot of interest in getting the station at Avoca reopened?

Why is the Rosslare line so slow anyway?

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 14,072 Mod ✭✭✭✭monument

Vic_08 wrote: »
    For someone who purports to be a rail expert you appear wilfully ignorant of even the most basic facts of railway operations.

As indicated, there's no need for the snide digs.

...I am a long time rail user, campaigner and involved in serious railway preservation for too many years - that's where I'm coming from - how about you?

Fair enough explaining where you are coming from if you feel like you want to, but please don't try to start a discussion on it which may take the thread off-topic.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,775 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

I suppose the likes of Avoca and Glenealy could be reopened as single-platform halts (like Kilcoole) - that would avoid most of the accessibility issues. They're both right in the villages they serve (unlike say Newcastle), but the numbers using them would still be tiny. If the frequency on the line ever increased it might be worth it, but that's not likely either.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,404 ✭✭✭dogmatix

Glenealy and Avoca may be small but if you put in park and rides it may draw in cars from the surrounding areas to help make the stops viable (and by contrast would remove these cars from the N11). Not sure if Avoca has the space for parking, but Glenealy has space for a fairly large park and ride right beside the old station.

I commute by car from Glenealy each day – but would gladly switch to train if I could.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,314 ✭✭✭KyussB

If you get a stop at Avoca, tha alone makes the extra journey time to Wex worth it.

Advertisement