Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Zappi charge points

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,121 ✭✭✭pad199207

Can someone please help me here with this Zappi thingy,

Whats the best setting to put it to if I want it to be plugged in now but not charge till 23:00 etc?

• Registered Users Posts: 757 ✭✭✭Bif

Using the Myenergi App put it to Eco plus and set the timer on the app.

Thank you Bif. Have done that now.

What does that bar with the blue leaf on the left of it mean? 1-100%

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Surely the Zappi needs to be set to “Fast”

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. outdoor furniture, roof box and EDDI

My Active Ads (adverts.ie)

Not sure Slave1. What I described is what I was told to do to get it to work on the app timer. At the time I was struggling to get it to work on the app timer on Fast. This worked so have left it. Do you have a Zappi?

• Advertisement

Set it for 23:00 and it kicked in right away. Thanks Bif 😃

I can't understand why zappi has to be so complicated and the wallbox pulsar plus is so simple ? truly astonishing!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Actually, now that I think of it, when using boost the Zappi will just output at max regardless of whether set to Fast/ECO/ECO+. I use the car timers rather than the Zappi as just handier for me

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. outdoor furniture, roof box and EDDI

My Active Ads (adverts.ie)

ID3 timer not so efficient so using the Zappi for now. It charges at 7.2 on the settings above but will adjust downwards if there is too much draw from other appliances. Works well and reliably TBF.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,314 ✭✭✭jasonb

I'm having a weird Zappi V1 issue and I wonder if anyone has heard of something similar?

I've had the Zappi V1 tethered Type 1 installed for over 3 years, using it with a L24, with no issues. I've upgraded to an L40, and got the Type 1 cable swapped out for a Type 2 (by the company that installed the Zappi originally). Whenever I try to charge the car, the Zappi immediately gives a Ground Fault warning and needs to be reset. The company have tested the Zappi and the lead and can't find any Ground Faults. They tried a second Type 2 lead in case it was a dodgy lead, but had the same issue. They've now put the Type 1 lead back on, and I'm going to try a Type 1 to Type 2 adaptor and see what happens. They also contacted Myenergi but they couldn't figure it out either. Anyone experienced this type of issue before?

Thanks...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 277 ✭✭eltoastero

In "Fast" the zappi will output power whenever the car demands it (which would be immediately if there's no in car charge schedule set, or the zappi will wait until the charging schedule set by the car kicks in).

"Fast" is a stilly name for that setting. "Change without timing or eco restrictions" describes it better but wouldn't have fit on the zappi's screen :D

• Registered Users Posts: 339 ✭✭davidod1

I set my charge times on the Zappi Charge Settings using Eco ++. I have solar, and if there is enough solar to charge the car it will use that, otherwise the Zappi will wait until the night rate kicks in before charging. It has never let me down.

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭Alan McG

Can anyone recommend a good value installer? Going fishing for quotations, but thought I'd start here if anyones had a good price.

Just to give an update on this, in case anyone else ever has this issue. @Automan here had the answer for me, when wiring the new charge cable the CT Rings (black rings that measure current I believe) have to be done a specific way. One of them goes over the Live and one goes over the Live AND Neutral. We had one over the Live and one over the Neutral. That was how it was with the Type 1 cable before it was removed, but apparently that doesn't work for the Type 2, no idea why! Anyhow, once one of the rings was moved over the Live and Neutral, it all worked fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 350 ✭✭tap28

I got a quote from Mulhare EV today for €1,300 approx not including the hub.

I'm buying a new eNiro do I need the hub or can I set a timer via the car?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,073 ✭✭✭championc

Eh ??? You NEVER put CT clamps around anything other than the AC Live wire.

A CT clamp measures the current going through the cable. If you clamp the Live AND Neutral, the power goes up one and back the other, giving a net Zero.

Watch also the arrow on the back side of the clamp itself. The arrow points towards your main board, so a meter clamp points away from the grid and any other points away front the device (generally an inverter)

Ok, maybe my use of the words "CT Rings" was incorrect, but they're two black rings. You can see them clearly in the wiring diagram in the Zappi V1 Manual, I've attached a pic of it. One of them goes around the Live wire from the charging cable and one of them goes around the Live and Neutral wires from the charging cable.

• Registered Users Posts: 446 ✭✭ec_pc

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w57uSs0PWA4 : shows that e-nero has it's own charging schedule, I haven't looked at that video but I assume it can be controlled via the Kia phone app too.

I am getting a Kia and did buy the Zappi Hub as I have solar panels and this gives you extra control. I bought it directly from Zappi and saved €30-40 compared to price from installers.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,076 ✭✭✭✭KCross

If I remember right, its how charge points detect earth leakage. As you said, you get a net zero figure but if there is a fault it will show a positive reading and then the controller knows there is a problem and it will shut itself down for safety reasons.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭banchang

Have been recommended to get a Zappi by my car main dealer. He's also recommended a couple of installers who they have used in the past.

Is it most economic to buy the Zappi unit myself & ask installer to fit, or ask him to supply & fit ?

• Advertisement

You could get the installer to quote for the whole job, and ask them how much the Zappi will cost. And then compare that with what it would cost from somewhere like Electric Autos to see which is the better deal.

I've no idea as to what they are trying to demonstrate there. If there was earth leakage, then there would be an imbalance between the live and neutral, since power goes to the earth rather than back by the neutral, and that's how an elcb / RCBO is tripped.

If you want to MEASURE CURRENT, you must clip around the Live ONLY

I don't pretend to understand the science behind it, I just know that's what the wiring diagram says and if the ring isn't around both wires the charger won't charge, it displays a Ground Fault error.

• Registered Users Posts: 449 ✭✭_dof_

The top CT ring is just around the live conductor to the car, so that measures the current. The bottom one is around both live and neutral, so that shouldn't register any current unless there is earth leakage, so if the firmware detects current on both of those CT rings, there is earth leakage.

So it is an earth leakage detector mechanism. Odd way of doing it but hey, it does the job I guess

• Registered Users Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭banchang

I've searched but can't find

Has anyone done a comparison between the Electric Ireland charger & the Zappi as to which is better ?

Thanks

A charger is a charger EXCEPT

the Zappi allows you to charge from Excess Solar PV during a sunny day, down to a level of 1.4kW, whereas the majority of other chargers will be charging at 7kW (or whatever the car supports)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,076 ✭✭✭✭KCross

The question is too vague really. Both will charge your car just fine but it really depends on what you want from the charge point..... app support, Solar support, built-in load sensing, price, looks etc.

Some of those things are subjective so no one can tell you that one of those is better than the other as they wont know exactly what your wants/needs are. Zappi might be "better" for me but worse for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 190 ✭✭necstandards

Does anyone have a zappi and solar PV working for +12 months? Would love to hear their experience, how much solar kWh they managed to get into the car over a period of time. It probably already covered somewhere here, i just cant find it - sorry.

• Advertisement

I've had it almost 2 years now. The main thing with surplus solar is exactly that - your surplus. I now have 3.9kWp of panels. I have 10kWh of battery storage. So the batteries are filled first and the Zappi only then gets the excess, which at best may be 2kW. Keep that going for an hour and I barely put a % or two into my Kia e-Niro 64kW. I could add the same in 10 mins up in my local Lidl !!!

Realistically, going Solar PV and car charging, you really need a minimum of 4kWp.

Advertisement