Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dewalt 18v Xr Li-Ion Brushless Hammer Drill Driver - E209 @ Woodies

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,591 ✭✭✭Kat1170

Sign up to their Newsletter for an extra 10% off (unsubscribe when you get the drill ;) )

• Registered Users Posts: 462 ✭✭garion

Hmmm, that extra 10% is making me reconsider my NEED for a new drill! :-P

• Registered Users Posts: 462 ✭✭garion

garion wrote: »
    Hmmm, that extra 10% is making me reconsider my NEED for a new drill! :-P

Actually, looks like deals are not stackable so can't use the 10% too. Also it's E5 for delivery. Think that's done it for me!

• Registered Users Posts: 16,881 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

The battery looks small in the woodies photo. It's only a good deal if they come with two decent sized battery's.

I'm not saying that it's a bad deal. Just make sure you are compairing like with like

I just checked it out. Woodies batteries are 2ah and screwfix is 5ah. Screwfix is the better buy

• Registered Users Posts: 2,104 ✭✭✭Explosive_Cornflake

It looks to be "2 x 2.0 Ah" which is fine. They charge fairly quickly.

A year ago I Bought "Dewalt DCD796D2 Combi Drill 18V XR Brushless Compact Lithium-Ion (2 x 2.0Ah Batteries) DEW-DCD796D2-GB £146.00"
    That looks like the same kit. The site I bought it from has it at £289 now though.
    It is a great drill. I don't feel I need the 4Ah batteries. The only time when I went through batteries quickly was using a wire disc to take paint of a house.

• Advertisement

It looks to be "2 x 2.0 Ah" which is fine. They charge fairly quickly.

It's not how quick they charge or how long the charge lasts. 2mh isn't strong enough to drill some holes or drive some long screws. The big battery improves the quality and strength of the drill/screw gun.

I've seen the 2mh going for less in B&Q on and regular weekend

I bought the same screw gun with two 4ah batteries in Grange builders supplies for 250

Sleeper12 wrote: »
    It's not how quick they charge or how long the charge lasts. 2mh isn't strong enough to drill some holes or drive some long screws. The big battery improves the quality and strength of the drill/screw gun.

I've seen the 2mh going for less in B&Q on and regular weekend

Eh you are talking crap,
    A 1Ah (not mh)battery will drive the same screw as a 5Ah battery .
    It wont drive as many

• Registered Users Posts: 2,018 ✭✭✭knipex

Absolute nonsense,

The drill has a fixed wattage motor at a fixed voltage. Every battery gives the same output in terms of voltage and current, the difference if the storage capacity which range from 1.5Ah to 5 Ah.

The Ah stands for amper hour, not current output..

knipex wrote: »

Absolute nonsense,

The drill has a fixed wattage motor at a fixed voltage. Every battery gives the same output in terms of voltage and current, the difference if the storage capacity which range from 1.5Ah to 5 Ah.

The Ah stands for amper hour, not current output..

This is 100 percent true. Every tradesman knows this & there are Youtube videos proving what we already knew. Why do you think we always pay extra for the bigger battrys

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,582 ✭✭✭DesperateDan

0hQyd5L.gif?noredirect

• Registered Users Posts: 826 ✭✭✭autumnalcore

Batteries packs are usually made from the same size cells internally. larger capacity = more parallell cells = lower internal resistance = higher current available = higher torque capability especially under stall conditions

• Registered Users Posts: 377 ✭✭REFLINE1

garion wrote: »
    I don't know much about tools but this seems to be a decent Black Friday deal at Woodies:

https://www.woodies.ie/black-friday-deals/dewalt-18v-xr-li-ion-brushless-hammer-drill-driver-home-delivery-only-1127793

Screwfix have it for GBP299 or E447 (:eek:)

Amazon resellers have it for GBP267

Handy Hardware (never heard of them either!) have it for E559

I use my drill so little that I can't justify it but hopefully others will find it useful.

What would the difference be with say the drill i linked below? just interested performance wise for general diy etc.

https://www.woodies.ie/specials/diy/dewalt-18v-xr-brushless-lithium-ion-combi-drill-2-x-1-5-ah-1147998

Batteries packs are usually made from the same size cells internally. larger capacity = more parallell cells = lower internal resistance = higher current available = higher torque capability especially under stall conditions

What he said.

Not trying to take away from the bargain but I have seen 2mh dewalt screw guns for less than 150 throughout the year in B&Q

REFLINE1 wrote:
    What would the difference be with say the drill i linked below? just interested performance wise for general diy etc.

The main difference is the battery. The bigger the battery the more power & strength you will get out of the same drill.

1.5 is a tiny battery and won't deliver much.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 135 ✭✭Italix

REFLINE1 wrote: »

https://www.woodies.ie/specials/diy/dewalt-18v-xr-brushless-lithium-ion-combi-drill-2-x-1-5-ah-1147998

imo it's perfectly fine for work around the house.
    Once you have two batteries you'll be fine, swap out and charge as needed.
    I noticed from the Screwfix link above they have a nice Hitachi/Hikoki drill with some nice capacity batteries for under €200, that would be a better buy than what's been linked to above.

4ah hour batter is not more powerful than a 2ah hour battery.

Its just not.

The actual draw from the drill, particularly the brushless drills is limited by a PCB in the drill and or control pcb in the battery. The max current draw and voltage of the 5ah and 2ah dewalt batteries is identical. The video with the Ryobi drill is demonstrating older tired batteries. I have a 4ah battery here that does the same thing..

The reason tradespeople pay extra for the larger battery is they don't want to be swapping batteries ever 20 minutes and as you know every single charge and discharge of a battery impact on life.)

By your logic using same drill with a 9ah flexvolt battery should rip my shoulder off.. It doesn't.. Using the flexvolt battery just results in a slightly heavier drill and even longer between battery changes,

Also for those comparing to the €150 B&Q drills.

They are not the same drill. Dewalt have a huge range of battery drills, all looking the same but different ranging from cheapo DIY rubbish to the gem that is the DCD996 brushless.

You can buy the DCD996 on toolden for £125 but the DCD785 is only £40

The Dewalt range of tool is constantly being updated and can be a confusing mess at times..

knipex wrote:
    Its just not.

Yet it is.
    Have you watched the YouTube video? Any tradesman who uses these all day every day will tell you the exact same thing. The lower rated battery will be less powerful. I know that the rating is stored capacity and not related to output strength but higher rated batteries do in fact give better results with actual power.

Look originally I just wanted to point out that the offer in Woodies has a tiny battery and not compatible to the screwfix offer and the same drill is often as low as 150 in B&Q. Weather you believe what the difference in batteries can do or not do doesn't bother me one way or the other.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

Use one of those all the time. 2Ah is fine so long as you're not drilling massive holes in stainless or anything. Very good price as it's the one with the metal chuck too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

The main difference is the battery. The bigger the battery the more power & strength you will get out of the same drill.

1.5 is a tiny battery and won't deliver much.

Power will be the same from any battery. Usage time is all that will change.

• Advertisement

Patww79 wrote:
    Power will be the same from any battery. Usage time is all that will change.

That's not true. I've been using cordless tools as a plumber for over 30 years and I have seen with my own eyes a fully charged 2ah stalling on a long screw into hard wood yet changing the battery to a 4ah or 5ah allows you to drive it fir in or fully home.

There is a YouTube video on page one showing this exact thing. It is not trick photography or photo shop. It's a genuine video.

I would much prefer to carry a 2ah batteries rather than a 5ah as they are much lighter and I lug my toolkit into 7 or 8 bathrooms per day. I have a cordless dewalt drill and impact driver in the tool bag plus tools. It's a heavy bugger. I can't do this because the performance from the smaller battery is not as good as the 5ah. Not the length I get out of a charge as I can charge in the van & constantly have fully charged batteries.

Before more posters say that its not possible I suggest trying it themselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,439 ✭✭✭NewClareman

Yet it is.
    Have you watched the YouTube video? Any tradesman who uses these all day every day will tell you the exact same thing. The lower rated battery will be less powerful. I know that the rating is stored capacity and not related to output strength but higher rated batteries do in fact give better results with actual power.

Once the lower capacity battery has the same voltage and internal resistance as the higher capacity battery, the power available to the tool will be identical. This is not a matter of debate, it is a matter of physics.

Once the lower capacity battery has the same voltage and internal resistance as the higher capacity battery, the power available to the tool will be identical. This is not a matter of debate, it is a matter of physics.

Have you actually watched the video?

Have you ever tried it yourself?

How do you even know that the internal resistance is the same with smaller & larger battery?

It's not even a big secret. Anyone who has used cordless power tools daily will have come across this.

Have you actually watched the video?

Have you ever tried it yourself?

How do you even know that the internal resistance is the same with smaller & larger battery?

It's not even a big secret. Anyone who has used cordless power tools daily will have come across this.

No I have not watched the video.

Power in Watts, which is proportional to torque, is given by voltage x current. Modern Lithium-ion batteries have a pretty constant voltage until they are ~20% of capacity. The only variable, is the max current that can be drawn, under heavy load. Under heavy load it is possible that the electronics in (some) smaller batteries would limit the current more than in a larger unit. However, any such variation would be small.

In general, a bigger battery will take longer to reach a discharge level where the battery voltage drops, therefore the performance of the drill will be optimum for longer.

No I have not watched the video.

Power in Watts, which is proportional to torque, is given by voltage x current. Modern Lithium-ion batteries have a pretty constant voltage until they are ~20% of capacity. The only variable, is the max current that can be drawn, under heavy load. Under heavy load it is possible that the electronics in (some) smaller batteries would limit the current more than in a larger unit. However, any such variation would be small.

In general, a bigger battery will take longer to reach a discharge level where the battery voltage drops, therefore the performance of the drill will be optimum for longer.

Maybe if you actually watched the videos you wouldn't post stuff that just isn't true. In the youtube below they actually test dewalt 2 ah, 4ah & 6ah & demonstrate how the torque power is better with the 4ah & 6ah.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 217 ✭✭Cockford Ollie

Same drill with one 5Ah battery, 148 pounds.

That's a bargain. You can add a 2nd 5ah battery for £202 in total

That's not true. I've been using cordless tools as a plumber for over 30 years and I have seen with my own eyes a fully charged 2ah stalling on a long screw into hard wood yet changing the battery to a 4ah or 5ah allows you to drive it fir in or fully home.

There is a YouTube video on page one showing this exact thing. It is not trick photography or photo shop. It's a genuine video.

I would much prefer to carry a 2ah batteries rather than a 5ah as they are much lighter and I lug my toolkit into 7 or 8 bathrooms per day. I have a cordless dewalt drill and impact driver in the tool bag plus tools. It's a heavy bugger. I can't do this because the performance from the smaller battery is not as good as the 5ah. Not the length I get out of a charge as I can charge in the van & constantly have fully charged batteries.

Before more posters say that its not possible I suggest trying it themselves.

you are simply wrong. I started using battery drills as an apprenctice sparks, then kitted out by workshop at home with grinders, torque wrenches, die grinders shop vacs etc all working on classic cars.

In my day job I have over 20 vans all kitted out with battery tools, drills, drivers, 6" grinders, metal circular saws, saber saws SDS drills 18v and flex volt. we rarely uses corded tools any more, some of our vans don't even have extension leads.

I have reps beating down my door trying to sell me tools and engineers techs, trades trades all looking for new tools. We just bought a flex volt chainsaw to try and are moving all our SDS drills and grinders over to flex volt as they are being replaced..

I have litterally hundreds of batteries of all capacities in 10v 18v and 56v and can categorically say that the a torque gun running on a new 2Ah battery operates identically to one on a new 5Ah battery. same for the drills. All the engineers love the higher capacity batteries because they last longer need to be charged less frequently and as a result they don't need to carry as many..

I have 2Ah batteries here that will out perform 4Ah batteries. because the 4Ah batteries are old..

I can show you a youtube video proving the earth is flat or the moon landing was a hoax or how to turn coal into diamonds..

• Advertisement

Maybe if you actually watched the videos you wouldn't post stuff that just isn't true. In the youtube below they actually test dewalt 2 ah, 4ah & 6ah & demonstrate how the torque power is better with the 4ah & 6ah

I never suggested that the torque power wasn’t better, I stated that any variation would be small. I looked at the video and I’m wondering whether you actually understood it. It shows a variation of around 5% between the 2ah and 4ah batteries. That’s about the difference between a Lithium Ion battery fully charged and 70% charged - a small variation.

Advertisement