Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

InSite Mission to Mars

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,199 ✭✭✭troyzer

JupiterKid wrote: »
    The Cassini/Huygens mission to Saturn was a joint NASA/ESA effort was was a great success - however both ESS's attempts to land on Mars - Beagle 2 and Schiparelli - failed and I would be qite concerned for thier upcoming ExoMars rover mission.

Any joint NASA/ESA Mars venture would use NASA mission control and Mars EDL technology so I would be much more confident of success.

Beagle 2 wasn't the ESA, it was a private British mission. Schiaparelli did fail but of the 56 missions to Mars, 22 have failed.

It's just really, really hard to send a probe to Mars but we're getting better at it. Schiaparelli was probably a software failure which hopefully won't happen again. I'm not really concerned with the ESA from that perspective, I don't think they're less competent than NASA.

The Mars Climate Orbiter has to be the single most embarassing Mars mission disaster to date.

I agree on the ESA having a weak public image. Rosetta got a lot of buzz but that's the only one I can really think of. Public apathy with space is something all space agencies have a problem with but the ESA has a pretty big budget and needs to be visible.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,581 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

In hindsight, it was incredible luck that both Vikings safely landed on Mars over 40 years ago. After all - theywere NASA's first attempts at a Mars landing.

It it said that there weren't more Mars missions for over 16 years becuse Viking was such a success.

Seismometer has now been fully deployed by the robotic arm of a InSight, a month earlier than planned.

D000M0025_598746480EDR_F0000_0563M_.PNG

HP3 device deployed and the heat probe mole has started drilling.

But there's a problem: the mole has reached a pretty hard material just 35 cm down. It is designed to reach a maximin depth of 5 metres and needs at least 2 metres to get any sort of decent heat flow data.

Hope this can be sorted out...

https://goo.gl/images/D7vSmN

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,464 ✭✭✭Ultimate Seduction

Any news on this ?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,464 ✭✭✭Ultimate Seduction

Advertisement