Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Confined Competition for Executive Officer 2018 An Garda Siochana

Options
  • 21-11-2018 3:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭

can't find anything so decided to start this

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭wicklow girl

spoke to PAS, next part somewhere around 11th Dec

• Registered Users Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭Crunchymomma

I wonder how the uptake was for this comp? No one I talked to at work seems to have gone for it. Seemed to be really turned off by the mention of paf administrator

there doesn't seem to be a lot of information on it

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭DaylightDies

I've gone for this as a TCO while I'm waiting for a start date with the Control Room competition. I've been dealing with PEMS for well over a year now and know a bit about PAF so hoping I have a decent chance at it as I'm the property store manager in the garda station I work at.

Email gone out at work confirming 11th December for the test and in the morning time. We also get the half day business leave. Happy days

• Advertisement

I just got this advice from a friend of mine - I am not in the union anymore

Get straight onto the Union. Ask how these tests can be undertaken in a controlled environment and how that An Garda Siochana will provide the required IT capabilities. This is afterall an internal competition and it is common place for the employer to provide the required facilities – e.g. webcam. THIS IS NOT AN OPEN COMPETITION, you shouldn’t have to procure webcams etc!! if anyone can do it within the organisation at their own desk everyone must be able!!

• Registered Users Posts: 210 ✭✭Samjd

I just got this advice from a friend of mine - I am not in the union anymore

Get straight onto the Union. Ask how these tests can be undertaken in a controlled environment and how that An Garda Siochana will provide the required IT capabilities. This is afterall an internal competition and it is common place for the employer to provide the required facilities – e.g. webcam. THIS IS NOT AN OPEN COMPETITION, you shouldn’t have to procure webcams etc!! if anyone can do it within the organisation at their own desk everyone must be able!!

Hi, thanks for starting thread. I don't think anyone will be able to take the tests within the organisation? I understood it was not recommended to take test at work and up to us all to provide our own equipment?

I wonder how the uptake was for this comp? No one I talked to at work seems to have gone for it. Seemed to be really turned off by the mention of paf administrator

Where I am there is a lot of interest and plenty have applied. Most are not happy about the tests though and especially not the way they are to be carried out.

Samjd wrote: »
    Hi, thanks for starting thread. I don't think anyone will be able to take the tests within the organisation? I understood it was not recommended to take test at work and up to us all to provide our own equipment?

I took the AP tests on an AGS computer but those did not require a webcam

• Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭kate07

Any ideas on how many posts are going to be available, are they planning on having a PAF and/or pems administrator in every district?

• Advertisement

kate07 wrote: »
    Any ideas on how many posts are going to be available, are they planning on having a PAF and/or pems administrator in every district?

Every district has at least one paf administrator as it is, for the most part it is a garda role, with some exceptions. It is a role that will be entirely civilianised going forward.

This competition will be used to fill other EO roles other than pems and paf also

Do you think, if we make it through the online tests and get an interview, that we will be given a new OOM after interview? As it’s an internal comp and there are relatively few posts it would be a bit of a joke if the OOM was purely based on the tests.....

I think everyone should have an opportunity to be interviewed, after all the Garda Sergeant comp had big numbers and everyone was interviewed.

• Registered Users Posts: 409 ✭✭BRYAN Is Ainm Dom

there doesn't seem to be a lot of information on it

That sounds exactly like Garda HR!!! Nothing has changed in there I see.

I think everyone should have an opportunity to be interviewed, after all the Garda Sergeant comp had big numbers and everyone was interviewed.

completely agree!

my friend contacted the union and was told the Union are on board with it and they are anxious that this internal competition is held as quickly as possible.

my friend contacted the union and was told the Union are on board with it and they are anxious that this internal competition is held as quickly as possible.

Denis Keane (FORSA) will be here tomorrow so will see if he has anything to say. I know he has emailed HR in Navan asking that people be accommodated who don't have access to necessary equipment.

• Registered Users Posts: 409 ✭✭BRYAN Is Ainm Dom

Am sure Garda HR in Navan are on the ball on it!!!!

It seems the Union are going back to Navan insisting anyone without access to wifi, camera etc must be accommodated before comp can progress. I know this is a genuine problem for some that has to be sorted but I wonder if some are using it as an excuse hoping the tests can be avoided? They will have to run tests anyway as some may have been put off applying by the tests so would be unfair.

The problem is posts will be/are being filled from Open panels so we could do without delaying.

Anyone any idea how many have applied for this?

• Advertisement

Email gone out with download to the software we will be using for the test which also has practice questions. We will have to scan the entire room we take the test in for the spectator and hold up our photo I.D to the camera.

The software won't work if peoples PC/Laptops don't meet the minimum requirements as there is a hardware check. I can see huge outrage ahead.

Everyone sorted?

Everyone sorted?

I am, 11.15 session......

I am, 11.15 session......

Snap, best of luck 🀞

Having no luck logging in. This is a nightmare.

• Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭kate07

Internet crashed and can't get through to company.....this is so frustrating!

• Registered Users Posts: 21 davyanne

No joy for me either. Most frustrating and I was on the early session.... still trying to get logged on

got through to test reach once and was told to log off and try again in 20 mins, still no joy, rang public jobs they said keep trying, rang hr in navan they too my name, trying testreach again just ringing out they should reschedule this is going to put so may off myself included

• Registered Users Posts: 18 acbar

Yep, same here. Navan told me the test reach server went down for the 11:15 login. I heard lots had issues with the earlier slot too.
    I dont expect that this exam will be counted as too many with issues. They should have brought us all for interview at the beginning instead of messing around with this rubbish.
    I’m still waiting here to connect when I should be done at this stage. I’m going to abandon ship as there’s no point.

• Advertisement

Same here, so frustrating finally got through to test reach again they asked if I wanted my call logged for resits, seriously!

Advertisement