Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Would you get a root canal from a student?

Options
  • 21-11-2018 2:55am
    Registered Users Posts: 26

I was given a choice to get a root canal on the dental hospital either by a student or wait (probably a number of months) to be seen a professional. Presumably the student will be supervised. Tooth needs treatment before they fit me for dentures. Suggested by private dentist to go with student but more chance of complications down the line.

What would you do?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 78,287 ✭✭✭✭Victor

I've had two, uneventful extractions in the Dental Hospital. Extractions were by 4th / 5th year students. Three students and qualified dentist in attendance.

If there are any problems, you're already the Dental Hospital.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,240 ✭✭✭Oral Surgeon

I was given a choice to get a root canal on the dental hospital either by a student or wait (probably a number of months) to be seen a professional. Presumably the student will be supervised. Tooth needs treatment before they fit me for dentures. Suggested by private dentist to go with student but more chance of complications down the line.

What would you do?[/QUOTE]

Fully qualified dentist/ endodontist every time....

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,619 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

Did this 22 years back. Long and torturous procedure with a dental dam. The student was good. Dublin Dental hospital. But it was cheap.

Nowadays I'd much prefer to have a fully qualified dentist doing this. But it was a good option when I was a broke student...

• Registered Users Posts: 81,409 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

• Registered Users Posts: 19,120 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

I know a Transition Year student looking for work experience in a dentists.

Would that do?

• Advertisement

Couldn’t see the harm OP. It’s not like you’ll be their first victim client, they’ll have had tons of practice before you.

Naturally the whole thing will be closely monitored by an experienced dentist. As well as saving some money you’re also helping someone’s education so really it’s a win-win 😎

• Registered Users Posts: 13,413 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

Lads, this thread is five years old...

Ffs. 😂

in that case, maybe OP let the student do it and that’s why they never updated the thread…..

😰

Advertisement