Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ghostbusters Afterlife (Jason Reitman)

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

God I really, truly hope they don't bring the old crew back; there's few things more miserable in pop culture than watching doddery OAPs returning to a cherished part, decades after hanging up the uniform. Didn't work for me with Harrison Ford & Indiana Jones, Tom Baker & Doctor Who, and I remain sceptical about Patrick Stewart playing Captain Picard again.

Let the past stay in the past, and that goes double for the actors who played a role. Or indeed the Ghostbusters franchise; wish Sony would stop dredging up every damned IP on their books, desperate for an expanded universe to squeeze. The Jumanji sequel felt like an exception that proved the rule.

"The Ghost Corps", lordy. that was the real offensive thing about Ghostbusters 2016, the arrogant presumption of a franchise before its earned.

• Registered Users Posts: 55,462 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

• Registered Users Posts: 13,563 ✭✭✭✭peteeeed

I'm in

• Registered Users Posts: 11,301 ✭✭✭✭Frank Bullitt

The sounds and music in that alone make me like it.

The first was the movie of my youth, had the backpack toy and the firestation and toys.

Sign me ****in-g up.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,062 ✭✭✭ThePott

This seems to have come together awfully quick, no mention of cast yet which is interesting. I could maybe see Murray coming back if it's Jason Reitman, I mean he's an artsy director which Murray seems to only ever do nowadays so that might coax him. That being said, I've heard enough about Ghostbusters 3 and all that to know better. The game was the real Ghostbusters 3 it always will be especially with Harold Ramis gone.

Hard to know whether this is worth being excited about until we know more although it definitely has my interest but I'll wait till cast announcements and some footage or story details to gauge my excitement.

On the topic of Ghostbusters (2016), it was an awful unfunny movie with some very minor redemptions but let's not act like the female cast are solely responsible for that, there was a lot of issues with that movie not least of which was the actors. It would have been garbage with any cast with that script in my opinion and Sony botched the marketing for it which made things even worse and more divisive.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

I was reading David Foster Wallace's essay on Terminator 2 last week, and you could apply it to Ghostbusters. That budget meant lots of effects, which means the effects have to be great which means even more money has to be spent on them, which means the movie becomes about the effects, which works against everything that isn't effects. So you have a bunch of people very good at making one kind of movie who end up having to make a different kind of movie.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,847 ✭✭✭py2006

Fan made, surely?

Reitman does mention
    t’s not clear at present if or how many of the original cast members will be back as further story details are under wraps. Reitman says there’s a: “lot of wonderful surprises and new characters for the audience to meet” and so further details will be dolled out over coming months.

Hopefully this means more characters as well as the orig cast

• Registered Users Posts: 16,407 ✭✭✭✭nullzero

RayCun wrote: »
    Or, you know, an attempt to make a comedy with women in the lead roles, directed by someone who had just recently made an enormously successful comedy with women in lead roles, and casting two of the stars from that enormously successful comedy, plus one of the stars of the leading American television sketch comedy series.

Nah, you're right. It was all an attempt to brainwash men. Keep taking those red pills!

It wasnt an attempt to brainwash anyone.
    It was an attempt by Sony to look hip and progressive. You're adding a whole layer of nonsense to the discussion that just isn't being put forward by anyone.

Glazers Out!

• Advertisement

Like any big budget movie, it was an attempt by Sony to make money.
    See also Ghostbusters 3 above.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,466 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

RayCun wrote: »
    Like any big budget movie, it was an attempt by Sony to make money.
    See also Ghostbusters 3 above.

How dare they try and make money at my expense!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,194 ✭✭✭TomSweeney

nix wrote: »
    Jesus.. how could anyone like the recent one? It's that fucking dire it blows my mind someone even liked it.. or worse.. found it funny :eek::rolleyes::(

virtue signalling

• Registered Users Posts: 45,142 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

I liked it. Hemsworth was brilliant. Was a decent flick.

I liked it. Hemsworth was brilliant. Was a decent flick.

i thought the story was really poor , good actors couldn't save it and the special effects were slightly off too and the cameos were terrible IMO

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Without digging further into the production, I had this feeling throughout the film that Feig & co. tried for an improvisational approach to the comedy, but nearly all the resultant material was just flat and inconsistent. The end result either timid observational stuff (most of Melissa McCarthy's lines, including the unfunny 'wanton' running gag), or else really jarring goofball humour (nearly everything with Chris Hemsworth, a character too stupid to live). And Kate McKinnon seemed to be from a different film altogether.

As someone remarked earlier, the choice of Feig was obvious along the lines of "oh, he directed an all-women comedy before, he'd be perfect!", but not for this kind of script. It needed a steadier hand and a more structured, scripted approach to the comedy. But improvisation seems to be very "in" with American humour these days, especially the Saturday Night Live alumni of late.

Also, if you look at the other Feig/McCarthy movies - Bridesmaids was 16s, and The Heat and Spy were 15A, but Ghostbusters was 12A.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,833 ✭✭✭s8n

Is that trailer real ?

s8n wrote: »
    Is that trailer real ?

yes

original cast members are tweeting about it so they will probably be in

https://twitter.com/Ernie_Hudson/status/1085602476974256128

• Advertisement

Yes, I'm sure Annie Potts is also available. So Ackroyd, Hudson, Potts, and a car - all the essential ingredients for a great movie.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,671 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

They are looking for four teenagers for the lead roles according to Variety. However, I'd imagine the original cast will have significant roles as torch-passers and to give the film legitimacy after the last effort. Shooting footage just for a trailer is fairly unusual but they obviously wanted to get the fans onside.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

My main concern is that this becomes a very vanilla "sign of the times" comedy.

I thought the last one was horrific, so many examples of forcing jokes and not knowing when to stop. It was a repeated effort too "that slime went in my mouth ... and everywhere ... ... I mean everywhere ... ... ... like, every ... where".

That's kind of the problem right there; mainstream Hollywood comedy has moved on from the 1980s version that Ghostbusters represented; that quintessentially 'schlubby', cynical & sarcastically dry humour that pervaded that and other films of the era. You got 'zanier' comedies like Caddyshack sure, but IMO the likes of Ackroyd, Murray, Belushi et al brought a jaded sarcasm to the material.

Now it's different: comedy in Hollywood seems to have become ... broader, and more improvisational too by the feel of things (though I suspect Murray winged a lot of his material) and lost that 'stuck in the gutter' feeling you got with the 80s equivalents. Ghostbusters 2016 just didn't work with that different, ... 'shoutier' style of comedy.

Plus, with the original film, the SNL alumni were top of their field really, whereas you look at the equivalents these days & they weren't part of that 2016 film; I like Kirsten Wiig, but Kate McKinnon & Leslie Jones are hacks - swap either of them for Julia Louis-Dreyfus and suddenly the cast would have started to look more enticing.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,853 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Ghostbusters went all diverse/PC ages ago with Extreme Ghostbusters. :)

Honestly, I wouldn't mind a sequel to the women's one either.

Most likely the original cast will just be smallish roles. A new team will be formed (possibly the kids of orig characters) with a mix of men and women. Hopefully they cast it better than last outing.

py2006 wrote: »
    Most likely the original cast will just be smallish roles. A new team will be formed (possibly the kids of orig characters) with a mix of men and women. Hopefully they cast it better than last outing.

they have to come back to erase the 2016 cameos

peteeeed wrote: »

He didn't say Bill Murray was in, he said "everybody is in"
    Which is clearly wishful thinking.
    If Bill Murray had committed it would have been announced by now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,062 ✭✭✭ThePott

There was a rumour of some character breakdowns for the teen characters and one of them sounds a dead ringer for Egon's kid

Advertisement