Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ireland v New Zealand match thread

Options

Comments

• Subscribers Posts: 41,263 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

rodge123 wrote: »
    Is it just me or is Marmion very slow to some breakdowns and he is taking a slow motion step before every single pass from rucks?
    We would be much further ahead is Murray playing.

Nah... Your just watching a rerun of laidlaw v SA.

Marmmion has been very good so far.... Crisp and sharp

• Registered Users Posts: 24,298 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

sydthebeat wrote: »
    We're the better team in that half.... If we can match them for fitness, simplicity and aggression we can fall over the line here.

No mistakes though.... Better off carrying into contact than trying a risky offload..

Marmmion been excellent apart from the last poor kick.... Our second rows have been outstanding

In a game of tight margins I think Marmion could be a little bit quicker.. even half a second.

It's being picky though

• Registered Users Posts: 1,972 ✭✭✭captbarnacles

Watching text commentary on nz sites and they are all bewildered how nz don't have a card yet particularly Whitelock

• Registered Users Posts: 22,316 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

NZ got to be carded!! 5 pen in there own 22

The fact that all our scores were penalties on the 10 meter line right in front of the posts shows how cynical they are.

Incredible game so far though. The intensity is unreal

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 907 ✭✭✭Alpha_zero

Outplaying the All Black loads of possession carries, gains and only 3 point to the good.

New Zealand will have a period where they will dominate.

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 12,341 ✭✭✭✭Faugheen

rodge123 wrote: »
    Is it just me or is Marmion very slow to some breakdowns and he is taking a slow motion step before every single pass from rucks?
    We would be much further ahead is Murray playing.

Marmion has been fine and hasn't been helped by slow ball because of the All Blacks slowing it down.

There's absolutely zero point in bringing up Murray in this instance. He's injured.

Nah... Your just watching a rerun of laidlaw v SA.

Marmmion has been very good so far.... Crisp and sharp

Don't know.. I kinda see it too. But as I said it's being a wee bit picky

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

Buer wrote: »
    Stander has been brilliant but that was a horrible decision to try and pick and go down a blindside with a backpedalling scrum after the clock was dead.

On the contrary I thought he did well to react and get the ball out. They badly badly beat our scrum and if he’d left it that would have been a penalty conceded, he scrambled and we got out of the situation without conceding points

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,070 ✭✭✭Franz Von Peppercorn

vienne86 wrote: »
    Cracking match. That first 40 flew by.

That first 40 aged me by a decade.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,905 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

flazio wrote: »
    One thing to take from the first half, Ireland have been over the line twice, New Zealand haven't been within 5 metres of our line.
    And both have scored precisely zero trys. New Zealand only need one chance to kill you. They're that good.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

Tonga had a player sinbinned after 6 mins for one offence,NZ have committed 5/6,we should be well ahead and i think we'll die in last 15,Kearney(not just the try),is on borrowed time @15 just slows all down

Huh? I think we really missed him last week. And weve had a better run forward with the confidence the team have in him watching the backline.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,197 ✭✭✭✭Buer

We're the better team in that half.... If we can match them for fitness, simplicity and aggression we can fall over the line here.

No mistakes though.... Better off carrying into contact than trying a risky offload..

Marmmion been excellent apart from the last poor kick.... Our second rows have been outstanding

A few of his kicks have definitely been poor enough. Not getting any distance at all. Would like a little more decisive play in their 22 too. Missing Murray there.

His defence has been sensational though.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,063 ✭✭✭✭AbusesToilets

Pack will be kicking themselves over two attacking line-outs wasted because of a messed up transfer. We need to score, twice we've crossed the line up not scored. Shades of the last game

• Registered Users Posts: 17,075 ✭✭✭✭vienne86

Some huge performances here. Marmion is a bit slow though IMO, and Best worries me a bit. But everyone else seems to be on fire.

New Zealand will have their purple patch and then in trouble,

• Registered Users Posts: 5,972 ✭✭✭Yeah_Right

It's nice to see you Irish fans are already blaming the ref. Get in early before the ABs come back ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,681 ✭✭✭✭P_1

Great half. I'd bring McGrath on around the 50 minute mark. There are tries to be taken here against them when they tire

• Registered Users Posts: 4,994 ✭✭✭c.p.w.g.w

Only negatives in the first half

Best losing possession twice with silly decisions

Marmion seems a little slow at the breakdown*

*maybe more the result of cynical AB play tho

• Registered Users Posts: 1,149 ✭✭✭mangobob

Clegg wrote: »
    Jaysus. The best 40 minutes Ireland have played under Schmidt? New Zealand are drowning?

Shut up, lads. We're just 3 points ahead and they're the greatest sports team in the world.

Spot on.

Between Donal et al in the commentary box, and the panel in the studio, we can never ever complain about biased commentary again from England or anyone else. The eulogising of Ireland is OTT. The comments about the AB's being "afraid", "rattled", "destroyed" and drowning is just flat out embarrassing.

For the love of God, save it for after the match. If we win, by all means sing our teams praises to the heavens. But we are playing the single most dangerous rugby team on the planet and we are only 3 points ahead. This is gonna be a very long 40 minutes.

• Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭ODubhain82

Fantastic match. Exhausting. Best had made a few mistakes but saved our arse spotting that loose ball off the maul.

• Advertisement
  • Hosted Moderators Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭fitz

Clegg wrote: »
    New Zealand have cheated like ****.

Hope Barnes remembers he gave them a final warning when the second half starts

Yeah, I hope we don't see a reset penalty count cause of half time. Drives me bananas when refs do that.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,197 ✭✭✭✭Buer

Buer wrote: »
    Stander has been brilliant but that was a horrible decision to try and pick and go down a blindside with a backpedalling scrum after the clock was dead.

On the contrary I thought he did well to react and get the ball out. They badly badly beat our scrum and if he’d left it that would have been a penalty conceded, he scrambled and we got out of the situation without conceding points
    Oh I agree he did well to get it out but he should have been straight into touch to end the half. It was out of the frying pan and into the fire. His pack were always going to be slow to get to him given they were retreating. Marmion had to get stuck in before Healy put it out.

There is an abject failure to sanction the All Black for persistent cynical fouling, had Italy done what the All Blacks did they would have 2 in the bin

• Closed Accounts Posts: 796 ✭✭✭Sycamore Tree

I would replace Best and Marmion after 60 mins.

• Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭ODubhain82

Fantastic match. Exhausting. Best had made a few mistakes but saved our arse spotting that loose ball off the maul.

Alpha_zero wrote: »
    There is an abject failure to sanction the All Black for persistent cynical fouling, had Italy done what the All Blacks did they would have 2 in the bin

They are without doubt reffed differently

• Registered Users Posts: 547 ✭✭✭Soulsun

mangobob wrote: »
    Spot on.

Between Donal et al in the commentary box, and the panel in the studio, we can never ever complain about biased commentary again from England or anyone else. The eulogising of Ireland is OTT. The comments about the AB's being "afraid", "rattled", "destroyed" and drowning is just flat out embarrassing.

For the love of God, save it for after the match. If we win, by all means sing our teams praises to the heavens. But we are playing the single most dangerous rugby team on the planet and we are only 3 points ahead. This is gonna be a very long 40 minutes.

100% agreed.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 51,217 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

Yeah_Right wrote:
    It's nice to see you Irish fans are already blaming the ref. Get in early before the ABs come back

Ah shaddup

• Registered Users Posts: 11,315 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

Tackles
    Toner 10
    Ryan 8
    VDF 11

Carrying
    Ryan 10-27
    Stander 15-20

• Advertisement

C.J. Stander, Josh Van Der Flier and Bundi Aki good Irish names.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement