Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fading Good Looks

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,639 ✭✭✭completedit

Pretzeluck wrote: »
    You've seen around all of the world's women? The ratio is approximately 50:50 men and women so you've been with approximately 3.8 billion of women.

We live in Ireland, I don't care about the behavioural patterns of women in Eritrea.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,857 ✭✭✭professore

You seem well versed bro. You're a few years older and you've seen it all. Very interesting reading your insights.

And I hang round with a crew that is very diverse in age, from early 20s to late 50s, so I get to observe a lot too. I'm late 40s myself and married for a loooong time. Plus I've got many friends of that age group who are divorced.

People are a lot weirder than most people imagine. One thing is certain, unless you are one of the top men in attractiveness - which is not obvious to me what that attractive quality is -then you will have a lot of pain trying to work out whether a woman actually likes you or not.

For women it's much more straightforward what is attractive to men - youth, a pretty face, in reasonable physical shape, and a fun personality. Any one of those will make up a lot for the lack of another one. The women that remain attractive the longest are the ones that keep in shape and have a fun personality.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 325 ✭✭Pretzeluck

We live in Ireland, I don't care about the behavioural patterns of women in Eritrea.

You've been with all of the women in Ireland? The ratio is approximately 50:50 men and women so you've been with approximately 2.3 million of women.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,857 ✭✭✭professore

You've seen around all of the world's women? The ratio is approximately 50:50 men and women so you've been with approximately 3.8 billion of women.

I've seen all these BEHAVIOURS .... groan

professore wrote: »
    And I hang round with a crew that is very diverse in age, from early 20s to late 50s, so I get to observe a lot too. I'm late 40s myself and married for a loooong time. Plus I've got many friends of that age group who are divorced.

People are a lot weirder than most people imagine. One thing is certain, unless you are one of the top men in attractiveness - which is not obvious to me what that attractive quality is -then you will have a lot of pain trying to work out whether a woman actually likes you or not.

For women it's much more straightforward what is attractive to men - youth, a pretty face, in reasonable physical shape, and a fun personality. Any one of those will make up a lot for the lack of another one. The women that remain attractive the longest are the ones that keep in shape and have a fun personality.

Hard to argue with that. For how many years have you been with the same woman and did you have any side action in the meantime? Do you not get bored after 15 years of the same thing?

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 75 ✭✭Lillybloom

Of course not, these men do not go to an online forum to brag about it to complete strangers to artificially boost their ego.

Stating facts isn't necessarily bragging if it's relevant to discussion.

Lillybloom wrote: »
    Stating facts isn't necessarily bragging if it's relevant to discussion.

I want statistical information

• Registered Users Posts: 8,359 ✭✭✭Ray Palmer

You can't be vain and ugly/unattractive :p:p

I think you don't know what "vain" means so intelligence is also a likely factor in your unattractive qualities:P

Yeah I'm pretty dumb ngl.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,358 ✭✭✭corner of hells

Thomyokk wrote: »
    I'm late 40s and it's mostly 20 somethings chasing after me.I stick to women my own age.

I literally can't go shopping without some young wan grabbing me and telling me i'm good looking and where do i live.

I couldn't get a second look from a woman when I was younger

That's awful , there's you buying a meal for one on Tesco and you can't get a minutes peace to choose between a chicken stir fry and a beef curry.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,075 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

BRUTAL. Meanwhile guys like myself

10 per cent bodyfat
    Incredible strict diet
    Regular haircuts
    Obscene money spent on fashion

Can't get a ****ing look in.
    That kinda thing can come across as self obsessed and women™ are far better at spotting that kinda thing and avoiding it. I'd reckon part of why guys in their 30's tend to get more attention than when they were 20 is because they give less of a feck about that and are more relaxed in their own skin. Which they really should be by their thirties.
    Yeah women will make it PAINFULLY obvious that they like you. I always find it funny when people try to console you by saying 'I'm sure you've had plenty of admirers and you just didn't know it'.
    Not my experience. I'm pretty good at reading people in general, but I've missed signals in a big way when I was younger(and not so younger). Women telling me years later that they were into me and me missing it completely. Though with a couple I can see it now, looking back, but then? Nope. Clueless.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

Wibbs wrote: »
    That kinda thing can come across as self obsessed and women™ are far better at spotting that kinda thing and avoiding it. I'd reckon part of why guys in their 30's tend to get more attention than when they were 20 is because they give less of a feck about that and are more relaxed in their own skin. Which they really should be by their thirties.

Not my experience. I'm pretty good at reading people in general, but I've missed signals in a big way when I was younger(and not so younger). Women telling me years later that they were into me and me missing it completely. Though with a couple I can see it now, looking back, but then? Nope. Clueless.

TBH interesting hearing a few anecdotes of signals you missed. I always assume attraction and actually notice signs that are non-existent for example one bit of eye contact and a smile and I assume the girl likes me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 612 ✭✭✭KevinCavan

I think I’m getting better looking as I get older. I definitely feel better, but some of that might be to do with finally walking out on a loveless and sexless marriage. Don’t want to boast, but ladies in their 30’s seem to love a confident silver fox. I’ve the springs worn out on my mattress from all the riding I’m doing.

Is that you Pat Mustard?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭Zorya

Titan Glow wrote: »
    Nothing wrong that. Future cat ladies/cool wine aunts are always good for a ons.

Once you get past the smell of mothballs, right? :rolleyes:

I read a theory in a book on body language that says it's almost always the woman who signals interest first. Problem is, most men are so clueless they completely miss these subtle clues.

31 and I would agree with the above. Another thing I've learned about women is that you get ONE shot to make it happen and if you blow it, well tough ****, into the friendzone you go.

A girl(with a boyfriend) legit winked at me in the middle of a conversation last week. You couldn't make this **** up. I took a step back and was like did that really just happen. How can a girl wink at you and that not be construed as a come on. It's so hard to take signs. Really girls need to make it obvious for guys. Girls can't be creepy, guys can so girls need to make the moves.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,837 ✭✭✭enricoh

Reckon im doing ok. However a mate of mine recently dried out after doing over a bottle of vodka a day for donkeys years. Fook me, he was talking to my oul lad whos 72, he's 45 and looked older.

Mick jagger might be able to pull it off, but he's in the minority!

• Registered Users Posts: 410 ✭✭AlphabetCards

Dude, I've had a newly married woman brazenly flirt with and buy me drinks, right in front of her husband!

Felt uncomfortable. I didn't want to act rude and cold to the girl but I also didn't want to provoke the guy into killing me!

Dont get involved. You know better...

• Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭Segotias

Yeah women will make it PAINFULLY obvious that they like you. I always find it funny when people try to console you by saying 'I'm sure you've had plenty of admirers and you just didn't know it'.

This is literally my friends line to me when we're out, that there is plenty of attention or I just don't notice it.

One of my friends is the blonde bombshell type so trust me when blokes come up to me its to ask if shes single. People like to think cos they get attention everyone else can and does.

Nothing wrong that. Future cat ladies/cool wine aunts are always good for a ons.

Hahahaha cool wine aunt. Classic greentext shibboleth!

Yeah insulting our intelligence(Although your friend is just being kind). That's why I don't listen, it's like a billionaire trying to tell a poor person that money doesn't matter.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭Zorya

It's like being in a textual Hall of Mirrors in here.

Zorya wrote: »
    It's like being in a textual Hall of Mirrors in here.

Back to your mothballs and cats, cool wine aunt!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,762 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

They say men age like wine and women age like milk!!!
    So cheesy

• Registered Users Posts: 24,554 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

Dude, I've had a newly married woman brazenly flirt with and buy me drinks, right in front of her husband!

Felt uncomfortable. I didn't want to act rude and cold to the girl but I also didn't want to provoke the guy into killing me!

topper2.jpg

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,597 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

I've been told I look a lot better in my early 40s than I did in my 20s. :D:pac:

Some people do mature better than others in terms of looks. Actress Helen Mirren looked much better in her 50s than she did in her 20s.*

*and still looks pretty darn good at 73.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,482 ✭✭✭Gimme A Pound

I think Helen Mirren, while always a very attractive woman, looked her best in her 20s, 30s, early 40s tbh.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,075 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

How can a girl wink at you and that not be construed as a come on. It's so hard to take signs. Really girls need to make it obvious for guys. Girls can't be creepy, guys can so girls need to make the moves.
    Or maybe women filter like this to winnow out the guys who are less socially aware? Which makes perfect sense. Women have been historically very vulnerable, so filtering out the "odder" men, who will likely be fine, even nice, but true dangerous men would be more among their number, or be in favour of those more clued in socially who better navigate the world and on the surface at least , look less dangerous to them.Makes for good practice overall I reckon. I have found that Women™ are much more sensitive in this regard and research bears this out.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,661 ✭✭✭Zimmerframe

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,891 ✭✭✭prinzeugen

We have a guess how old I am competition with new staff in work every so often.

Dead chuffed most think I am about 28-31.

39 next month! And thats after years of drinking and smoking.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,417 ✭✭✭Diemos

Ray Palmer wrote: »
    You sound incredibly vain which is one of the biggest turn offs on the planet. The only people you will attract or other vain people.

That's not why he is failing, not even close. Unless you were just trying to get a dig in, in which case, job done.

Advertisement