Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Whistleblower: Maurice McCabe

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 796 ✭✭✭Sycamore Tree

wonga77 wrote: »
    I love how he throws in a grenade and then runs away. Cowardly.

??? Its fairly obvious reading the different posters comments. Do I need to spell it out for you? Im not the first person to point it out on this thread
    I was talking about road_high.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,064 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

road_high wrote: »
    Yea because he could see the euro signs in the distance and the inevitable martyrdom he’d be bestowed by the holier than thou rabble.
    I assume that you're trolling here but there was never an indication that he would be successful in his actions until towards the end. In fact there was a strong probability that he would end up with his name in tatters leading to him hanging from a tree because of it.
    So your theory that he was doing it for the money is a stupid ill-informed one.
    Far as I’m aware he’s been “off sick” for the last number of years. So rather than do the job he was actually being paid for and signed up to.
    In fairness, sick leave due to stress in the workplace is quite common. Your assumption that he was off dossing is deliberately disingenuous.
    However, his prominence is directly attributed to him trying to do his job and his peers and superiors deliberately preventing him from doing this.
    Like all the false sacred cows that are created in this country what they’ve actually achieved or done amounts to sweet FA. The real heroes in the Gardai are the ones doing their jobs daily (the vast majority) and making a real difference in tackling crime.
    in terms of the text I've made bold, now I know that you're trolling.
    Anyhow, do the real heroes in your view include the gardai who were drunk at a suicide scene driving a garda car? Does it include the gardai that covered up serious crimes, helped quash penalty points, etc?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,417 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

In fairness, sick leave due to stress in the workplace is quite common. Your assumption that he was off dossing is deliberately disingenuous.
    However, his prominence is directly attributed to him trying to do his job and his peers and superiors deliberately preventing him from doing this.

At one point during the documentary he (or his wife) mentioned how he had pointed out the tree that he planned to hang himself from. I don't think that was a joke or something disingenuous...

dulpit wrote: »
    At one point during the documentary he (or his wife) mentioned how he had pointed out the tree that he planned to hang himself from. I don't think that was a joke or something disingenuous...
    Hence my point (and my earlier reference to the tree)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,417 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

Hence my point (and my earlier reference to the tree)

Oh ya, I'm agreeing with you here...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,939 ✭✭✭goat2

I'm not close to anyone in the Garda but I think that certain posters on here love to vent at them and as someone already said "tar them all with the same brush".
    I think that's silly and vindictive. The vast majority of dealings I have had with them have been very positive. I live close to the border and meet them regularly in my travels.
    There are bad apples in every job.
    My opinion and I have expressed it here very often is that you have to separate policing from politicians. That's where most of the trouble stems. They can weed out the lower ranks quite easily but not the top ranks who are politically promoted.

I don't understand your comment,
    We are all human, but bad things happen in every walk of life

• Registered Users Posts: 5,875 ✭✭✭Edgware

Why did our wonderful politicians introduce a scheme that allowed Garda officers to cancel penalty points? The answer of course is that is how Ireland operates.
    I wonder how mant T.D.s sent letters to the local Superintendent seeking to have points squashed. They have no problem sending a letter of character to a judge for rapists and child abusers so penalty points would seem harmless.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,177 ✭✭✭blackbox

Link is behind a paywall.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,501 ✭✭✭✭elperello

It's well worth a read giving Noirin O'Sullivan's side of the story.

Good work by Colm Keena one of Ireland's best journalists.

Bear in mind that the IT has to pay it's way.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,499 ✭✭✭crossman47

It shows the dangers of politicians jumping into a case. Mick Wallace and Claire Daly behaved appallingly. At one point Daly said to a whistleblower (who was wrong) "Don't worry. We'll get them in the end". FG don't come out well either- they sacrificed O'Sullivan and Frances Fitzgerald in the face of the political and media onslaught.

Dail privilege is a dangerous thing, any one of us can fall foul to any politician saying whatever they want. No repercussions.

Most politicians have enough sense to be sure that what they're saying is true, however we are seeing more and more politicians who just want to shock, jump on any bandwagon without actually getting to the truth first.

Parliamentary privilege is an important element of a functioning democracy.

The right of an elected representative to speak in parliament without fear of any repercussion is fundamental.

The biggest threat to that privilege is it's abuse by politicians.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,652 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

It’s always open to abuse though. That’s the big problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,586 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Not a paywall as such, but a limit on the number of IT articles you can read each week. Try opening it in incognito mode or a different browser.

Would good work not have included asking Noirin about her responsibility as a Commissioner for the actions of all Gardai under her command? About her responsibility to set the culture and tone of the organisation? About the two laptops and four phones that went missing?

This wasn't journalism.

You'd like answers to those questions, so would I.

The essence of journalism is getting the story you can get and filing it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,499 ✭✭✭crossman47

Do you think the false allegations highlighted by others was good journalism? I don't - it was click bait stuff. Some journalists want to believe the worst of every state body.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,586 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

• Registered Users Posts: 1,346 ✭✭✭Caquas

A new chapter is being written in the greatest scandal in our recent history but it will play out behind closed doors and the media aren't too bothered.

The Charlton Disclosures Tribunal found that there was an extraordinary series of failures in Tusla and “startling inefficiency and indolence within social services” around the creation and dissemination of this baseless allegation of child rape against Sgt. McCabe. The Tribunal stopped short of accusing anyone of deliberately trying to destroy Sgt. McCabe although the effect of this letter was devastating for him and his family and it was at the centre of a whispering campaign against him.

Now, 10 years later, the Tulsa staff concerned are the subject of a fitness to practice inquiry but we won’t hear the evidence against them. What confidence can we have in this inquiry?

Are we living in a country where there are no consequences for those whose manifest incompetence so nearly destroyed an honest man? Do Ministers who were vindicated get the chop while others sail on?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,792 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

I saw this yesterday. Disgusting optics. Absolutely part of the smear campaign but it will be swept under the carpet as usual.

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,631 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

Mod:-

Moving this over to Current Affairs, where it is much mote suited.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,831 ✭✭✭Princess Calla

I admire him so much!

I honestly don't know how he survived everything that was thrown at him.

I certainly would have crumbled.

Him and his family are obviously built of extremely strong stuff!

• Registered Users Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

The country is quite simply corrupt.

and various publications, rate us as such, the global corruption index and trading economics both have in the top 10 corrupt countries in the world.

it’s tough to argue when you see what happened to McCabe. When you have an organisation supposedly who are meant to stand up against bullies, corruption, harassment and injustice yet are at least at certain levels more adept at facilitating and causing the type of problems they are supposed to be addressing…..

• Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭ULEZ23

That’s not true. You need to learn how to read, Ireland is not in the top 10 corrupt countries In the world. Someone else who can’t read made the exact same mistake before (was it you, you are hardly that bad at reading are you?)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,219 ✭✭✭eightieschewbaccy

We're number ten for least corrupt... Not discounting the atrocious treatment of McCabe but there's most definitely far more corrupt countries than Ireland in 2023.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,927 ✭✭✭downthemiddle

Can you give us a link to at least one of these publications? You wouldn’t want people thinking you were inventing facts.

Both organisations rank Ireland as the tenth least corrupt country in the World.

That's not to say there is no corruption in Ireland but we are considered less corrupt than every other country in the World except for nine.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,346 ✭✭✭Caquas

Part of Maurice McCabe’s tragedy is that his most ardent supporters don’t understand him and they used him to support their nonsensical beliefs - “Ireland is the most corrupt country in the world”. Because of this miasma of ignorance and prejudice, the McCabe scandal brought down two Ministers for Justice who were blameless in this matter. Ironically, this scandal eventually gave us Taoiseach Leo Varadkar but that strange tale is now forgotten.

Sgt. McCabe was an honest cop who reported what he saw to his superiors in accordance with procedures. He didn’t see bribe-taking or police violence or framing of innocent suspects. What he saw was incompetence, fecklessness, laziness, irresponsibility and failures of duty. These are concepts alien to many of those who became his most ardent supporters because they have never held a position of responsibility.

Sgt. McCabe made the mistake of reporting this behaviour in the expectation that his superiors would take action to remedy the problems. Instead, they disowned him and exposed him to retribution from the colleagues he had reported, including the father of the girl whose subsequent allegation of sexual abuse was dismissed but then turned by Tusla into a baseless allegation of child rape.

The lesson of this scandal is not “massive corruption” but “no consequences”, that is no consequences for endemic incompetence, fecklessness, laziness, irresponsibility and failures of duty. How many Gardai are now suspended from duty for years on end with no prospect of either vindication or dismissal?

And it’s not just the Gardai. The HSE is the motherlode. Hardly a week goes by without some massive settlement by the HSE for medical negligence. But where are the consequences for the negligent staff? We do get occasional “fitness to practice” medical cases but almost invariably the doctor or nurse concerned were chancers who have now left the country. The HR staff who hired these chancers are never held to account.

Post edited by Caquas on

And it’s not just the Gardai. The HSE is the motherlode. Hardly a week goes by without some massive settlement by the HSE for medical negligence. But where are the consequences for the negligent staff? We do get occasional “fitness to practice” medical cases but almost invariably the doctor or nurse concerned were chancers who have now left the country. The HR staff who hired these chancers are never held to account.

Many of the medical based settlements made by the HSE are down to simple errors (which is what humands do!).

If you punish people for making mistakes then they won't do that particular process. What do you think might happen then?

Or was this just intended at the few medical negligence stories you hear about which involve a foreign doctor?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,258 ✭✭✭MegamanBoo

I get your point, but I wouldn't agree with the narrative that Mr McCabe made a mistake. His behaviour is beyond question in my view.

I don't know whether his story amounts to proof of widespread corruption within AGS, but I'd argue it's evidence of more than just fecklessness and laziness.

The treatment he received from his 'colleagues' (remember the dead rat nailed to the door, as well as the false rape allegations), to me points to culture of deviancy, arrogance and a disrespect for the very laws they've sworn to defend, within AGS.

Advertisement