Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stan Lee dies :(

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭Duff

Great that he got to interact with his creations on the big screen. A legend who changed the world in his own way. RIP.

RIP.

Responsible for giving imaginative minds to so many. What a gift to bestow.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 12,909 Mod ✭✭✭✭iguana

I grew up on Marvel comics, especially the X-men, and I can't deny the massive influence they had on my life. I hope Lee had some peace in his final months as these last two years have been very rough on him with the death of his wife and the ongoing elder abuse he certainly seemed to be victim of from a number of sources. It's sad that the end of his life was not secure and safe for him.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,292 ✭✭✭✭branie2

My favourite of his creations was the Incredible Hulk

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,074 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

As a kid, I was never really a fan of the Marvel stuff TBH, nor the DC stuff either. More a 2000AD type of chap. But I did like The Thing(him of the Fantastic Four) and though I can't remember what my request was :o I posted a letter to a Mr Stan Lee, 13 Whatever American address was provided for the company(I was about 10 so...). Covered it in stamps :D and off it went. A few months later, I got a reply from Stan. Signed and all. He mentions the load of stamps and that they didn't get many letters from Ireland. :D In the envelope was a copy of a new Marvel comic about a spaceship leaving earth for the stars because earth was dying. Seeker 5000 IIRC. That he hoped I'd enjoy. I still have that comic and the letter, somewhere. Must dig it out. I also sent a letter to 2000AD and got nada. The bastards! :D

RIP Mr Lee.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 805 ✭✭✭mrmorgan

such a sad sad day

• Registered Users Posts: 7,534 ✭✭✭KKkitty

He will never be forgotten hopefully. Such an amazing enigma. A true Marvel in his own lifetime. I know he had a few cameos in upcoming movies filmed but when they're over and done with we will never see him again. He embraced abnormalities in people. We're not all the same. We are not defined by where we come from, we are not what everyone else thinks of us. What one or more think is weird more can think is unique and noteworthy, something to not be afraid of. Rest in peace Stan Lee. Thanks for everything.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,380 ✭✭✭Riddle101

Rest in Peace Stan Lee.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,058 ✭✭✭The Golden Miller

Not a bad legacy to leave, helping create arguably the most famous fictional character ever, and certainly the most famous everyman, the Amazing Spider-man. I'd have taken that myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,302 ✭✭✭dublinman1990

He created something in the comic book world that was an unstoppable force for good for so many of his adorned fans. To achieve a level of success that cannot be beat by others in the comic books industry certainly deserves a huge amount of respect from me & from those who love the genre for what it is today.

R.I.P Stan Lee. Excelsior!

• Advertisement
  • Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,655 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tokyo

StanLee.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 3,620 ✭✭✭AllGunsBlazing

Finding a Marvel comic in a local shop was certainly a rare treat back in the early '80's. The Incredible Hulk and, it has to be said, rather kitschy, Spider-Man were must watch shows on the telly.

Thanks for making life in small town Ireland a bit more fun, Stan.

• Registered Users Posts: 671 ✭✭✭Plopsu

The interview he did with Kevin Smith (who I'd imagine is a wreck today) is very worth watching.
    RIP to a great creator and iconic voice (and I suspect genuinely good guy).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,630 ✭✭✭Woke Hogan

RIP, he made a great contribution to children's literature.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,058 ✭✭✭The Golden Miller

Loved Marvel comics as a kid and am a fan of the movies (nerdy i know) his cameo parts in the movies always gave me a giggle.

In the Marvel world, you's southern partitionists would probably have been the skrulls :pac:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,492 ✭✭✭pleas advice

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,482 ✭✭✭Gimme A Pound

Seemed well able to laugh at himself - the Simpsons episode he guested on, where the tables are turned and he becomes the obsessive groupie hanging around Comic Book Guy (and an initially awestruck Comic Book Guy gets really tired of him :D) is one of the few better later Simpsons.

I was never into comic books or their associated movies (apart from Batman) yet recently I really got into Daredevil - love it!

• Registered Users Posts: 25,408 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

In the Marvel world, you's southern partitionists would probably have been the skrulls :pac:

Erm...i,m English:pac:

Advertisement